how to cure an addiction to bread

Options
124»

Replies

• jiggalude
    jiggalude Posts: 53
    Options
    I'm right there with you...if there is one thing I think about eating more than anything else, it's bread. I switched over to pepperidge farm's light breads soft wheat, 7 grain, oatmeal, and Weight watcher's rye. 2 slices of any of those are only 90 calories.
  • TheVimFuego
    TheVimFuego Posts: 2,412 Member
    Options
    it may sound weird but i believe i have an addiction to bread. I love bread. whole grain, 12 grain, flax seed, sunflower, it doesn't really matter. i do eat the "healthy" breads,whole grains and such, but i tend to eat alot of it. anywhere from 8-16 slices a day. and at 120 calories per slice it's hard to loose weight. now i say i an addicted cause when i eat bread i actually get a little "rush" or "high" like feeling. Is it just me that suffers from this? anyone know how to beat it? I've tried to just not have it...that didn't work to well. Any psychological advice? ways to think? tricks to help me not think about my next "bread score".

i'm seriously bamboozled

thanks all

I used to be a big "health whole grain" bread fan (hey, look, not much fat and all that 'fibre' it must be good for me right?) then I read "Wheat Belly" and quit grains cold turkey.

It's the best thing I have done for weight loss (coupled with minimising sugar and processed foods).

Considering all those slices of bread (and rice, pasta, etc) are essentially metabolising down to glucose and are spiking insulin it is not surprising that they have addictive properties. Stick something sweet in-between the slices and all bets are off ...

I prefer to eat mainly protein and fat, it keeps me full and I am not surfing the blood sugar rollercoaster all day (if you have a lot of insulin in your system then you will not burn fat).

I have some resources listed on my blog if you are interested further.
  • Meg177
    Meg177 Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    A round of oral canestan (to kill off systemic yeast overgrowth). A B complex supplement. Try a very few grains, cooked, in salads (mix them up: millet, bulger, oat groats, emmer, spelt, buckwheat – you can sprout any of those too:wink: ) or thin, yeast free breads if you find you still need them (think wraps loaded with veggies)….
  • ColleenRoss50
    ColleenRoss50 Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    I, too, love my bread and I have always had a tendency to binge on it. Prior to starting this weight loss journey, most days I was easily going through 1/2 to 3/4 of a loaf of bread a day, mostly in "snacks." I might start with a couple of slices of toast with peanut butter, jam, or cheez whiz, sometimes even just margarine. That wouldn't be enough to satisfy so I'd pop two more into the toaster until I had snacked on about eight slices in one sitting. My husband used to call me the "Bread Monkey."

When I started with this weight loss journey, I knew I had to get my bread compulsion under control so I made a decision to stop eating bread entirely until I was able to control my consumption. I stopped eating bread completely for about three weeks. After that I started introducing it again but only in small amounts at appropriate times. For example I might have one slice of toast with peanut butter or toast with hard boiled eggs with my breakfast or one slice of toast with some canned chickpeas or black beans for lunch or a half a sandwich instead of a whole one, etc. I usually limit myself to two slices a day and I never eat more than one slice in any given meal. I have only had one bread binge since early March. It happened at one oclock in the morning in a moment of weakness when I saw the rye bread on the counter and decided to have "just one little crust." I didn't stop till I had eaten eight slices. The next morning, my husband said, "I see the "Bread Monkey" dropped in last night." lol.

For me it was just changing my mindset. Now, instead of "inhaling" eight slices, I am able to nibble on one as part of a meal and I am satisfied with that. If I ever find myself starting to lose control again I hope I will nip it in the bud and stop eating it completely again for a while, if necessary, until I am confident that I am back in control.
  • lean118
    lean118 Posts: 2
    Options
    I agree! You daughter can eat other things that you can substitute. I felt my parents used me as an excuse to buy junk...i can even remember my mom asking (some times nightly) "do you want me to make you rice crispy treats?" Well duh, I was 9!

Not that I am older I have been reversing those habits, but even today my mom asks! So now I am old enough to say, "no, I don't need it or no, it's after 9:00 pm," but I can tell it makes her feel more guilty for eating it alone.
  • alc212
    alc212 Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    Try Gluten Free bread for a while.

1. It tastes like cardboard
    2. Each slice is about half the size of a regular slice of bread
    3. The packet has only 12 slices and is nearly triple the cost of regular bread
    4. It's that dense it has to be toasted to be edible

You'll eat less of it for sure.
  • hennaj22
    hennaj22 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    This post really makes me want some bread :laugh:
  • dakotababy
    dakotababy Posts: 2,406 Member
    Options
    You can not "cure" an addiction. You can only manage it for the rest of your life.
  • Jennifer_Delarosa
    Jennifer_Delarosa Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Don't eat it
  • Jennifer_Delarosa
    Jennifer_Delarosa Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I don't eat it at all . Bread is the reason I am overweight . Just wrap your sandwiches in lettuce . I've forced myself to dip lettuce in salsa like a chip and wrap avacado with tomatoe and onion for a sandwich . Lettuce takes place of my bread and chips . Don't eat anything white . My Dr told me that and it stuck in my head .
  • MinkyMoo13
    MinkyMoo13 Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    it may sound weird but i believe i have an addiction to bread. I love bread. whole grain, 12 grain, flax seed, sunflower, it doesn't really matter. i do eat the "healthy" breads,whole grains and such, but i tend to eat alot of it. anywhere from 8-16 slices a day. and at 120 calories per slice it's hard to loose weight. now i say i an addicted cause when i eat bread i actually get a little "rush" or "high" like feeling. Is it just me that suffers from this? anyone know how to beat it? I've tried to just not have it...that didn't work to well. Any psychological advice? ways to think? tricks to help me not think about my next "bread score".

i'm seriously bamboozled

thanks all

You are a bread junkie! like me! I managed to cut down my bread in take by buying the cheapest nastiest bread i could find.. Stopped eating so much then.
  • jimmmer
    jimmmer Posts: 3,515 Member
    Options
    Eat the bread. Seriously

Good bread is one of life's worthwhile pleasures - like a good cheese and a good wine.

Just learn to fit it into your calorie and macronutrient needs.
  • stefboston83
    stefboston83 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Yes. I am fully addicted to bread. I'm embarrassed to say but I could eat 3-5 sandwiches a day with nothing else. I have tried to stop and I will succeed for TWO weeks then I'm back on the peanut butter sandwich train. I have started reading into food addiction and triggers. Clearly it is a trigger for me. And I also get the rush of awesome after I have a coke peanut butter and banana sandwich and I am in heaven. I am contemplating trying to quit again because I am so over weight. Not feeling good around my husband.