fat2fit

Options
Hoping for input here. I am starting at about 300 lbs, I want to get down to 175(To start with)
I went to fat2fit and plugged my numbers and the below chart came up.
I consider myself lightly active. 2000 Calories a day? While I am loving
the numbers, doesnt that seem high to lose weight?
Maybe I am thinking old school and that you need to eat 1,000 calories a day
to lose weight.

Activity Level Daily Calories
Sedentary (little or no exercise, desk job) 1818
Lightly Active (light exercise/sports 1-3 days/wk) 2083
Moderately Active (moderate exercise/sports 3-5 days/wk) 2348
Very Active (hard exercise/sports 6-7 days/wk) 2613
Extremely Active 2879

Any input would be appreicated.
Thanks!
Lisa
:flowerforyou:

Replies

• yallcallmedeb
    Options
    Eating 1,000, or even 1,200, calories a day will put your body into starvation mode and destroy your metabolism. Start with the 2,000 per day and do not eat back your exercise calories unless you go under your BMR. Re-calculate your numbers every so often and adjust as needed. You can do this!
  • debbieHOC
    debbieHOC Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    you have to eat to lose ... chose good calories .. lots of veggies and lean meats and start walking. Any activity will start taking your metabolism up. As you build more muscles you will burn harder and longer after each workout. Good luck and think by next summer you could have so much weight off you will feel 20 yrs younger
  • Morgandobes
    Morgandobes Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the advice ladies :flowerforyou:
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options
    The old school methods are the ones that cause people to lose rapidly, and then regain it all and more. Fat2fit is a more modern and scientific approach that means you're eating for the weight you want to be - so once you're there, you maintain it with no problem.

2000 a day is the average for the average woman. Enjoy it :)
  • Robin_Bin
    Robin_Bin Posts: 1,046 Member
    Options
    Read http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/777-why-is-starvation-mode-so-bad
    and some of the other topics that are "stuck" at the top of this category in the posts like "LINKS in MFP you want to read again (and again)"

You didn't give your height, age etc., but for a 35 year old, 5' 4" woman, your BMR, that's the calories you would need to live if you just spent all day resting, would still be over 2,000 calories -- unless you've damaged your metabolism. And if you've damaged (lowered) your metabolism into "starvation mode", the first thing you need to do is fix that, so your metabolism is working with you, not against your goals. (And yes, thinking that anyone over 150 pounds needs to eat under 1,000 calories could be part of what caused eating/dieting problems.)

Have you tried entering your goals into MyFitnessPal? Although some people like to check it against other calculations and adjust what it says for their daily goals, it takes various factors like current weight, height, age, sex, goal and desired speed into account. The daily calories it suggests take into account your goal, so you don't need to subtract off it. And when you exercise you need to enter that, so it can add (although there is some disagreement here about whether or how many of those exercised calories you need to eat).

Good luck!
  • jj3120
    jj3120 Posts: 358
    Options
    I eat at my fat2fit goal-weight maintence it is working for me as it is sustainable.

I am 37 5'0" 145lb eating 1958 cals a day and losing weight : ) I have around 30lb to go to reach my goal.

Check out this group http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/3817-eat-more-to-weigh-less
  • Morgandobes
    Morgandobes Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Hi all -
    Thanks for the responses..1800-200 calories a day is doable for me.
    I kept trying Atkins thinking that I couldent stand to do 1200 calories again, but at 2000 calories,
    I have have some of the 'cheat' stuff occasionally without blowing the whole day, and
    that is such a *huge* relief for me!!

Makes this 'for life' thing seem a LOT easier :-)

Cheers!!
    Lisa
    (who is 290, 47 and 5'8")