Arthritis Friendly Exercise?

Options
Hi, everyone. I just started here at MFP and I've been wanting to get some input on this topic. After sustaining an injury to my left knee, I was informed by my orthopedic doctor that I have arthritis in my knees. I never had any arthritis symptoms until after I banged my knee on the ground back in November of last year. Although my injury is pretty much healed except for some strange numbness, the pain from the arthritis comes and goes at random.

I have been trying to get more exercise and for now I've just been going for walks and doing 20 minute yoga sessions, but I wanted to know if any of you could suggest other arthritis friendly exercises that I should try. I love to walk and try to push myself over my limited 2 mile mark, but if I push myself too much I end up on the couch with an ice pack and a bottle of Motrin!

Thanks for your input, I appreciate any advice!

Replies

• Jezebel9
    Jezebel9 Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    When my knees give me trouble (I have r knee injury plus arthritis) I go to straight leg raises and static leg exercises.

Straight leg raise (with leg weight or without):
    lying down, somewhat propped up on elbows-
    one leg bent and foot on floor
    opposite leg straight and locked out, muscles engaged-
    toe pointing to ceiling (do 10 reps) toe pointing out slightly (right leg= pointing to right and vice-versa) - do 10 reps

do 3 sets-
    do both legs.

Static leg exercises
    This is just me getting in the 'horse stance' position and sort of swaying with my upper body (actually an ab exercise)
    horse stance is like a squat with legs farther apart- knees do not go beyond toes

good luck!
  • SingerJennXXXX
    Options
    Thanks! I'll definitely try this!
    When my knees give me trouble (I have r knee injury plus arthritis) I go to straight leg raises and static leg exercises.

Straight leg raise (with leg weight or without):
    lying down, somewhat propped up on elbows-
    one leg bent and foot on floor
    opposite leg straight and locked out, muscles engaged-
    toe pointing to ceiling (do 10 reps) toe pointing out slightly (right leg= pointing to right and vice-versa) - do 10 reps

do 3 sets-
    do both legs.

Static leg exercises
    This is just me getting in the 'horse stance' position and sort of swaying with my upper body (actually an ab exercise)
    horse stance is like a squat with legs farther apart- knees do not go beyond toes

good luck!
  • rileamoyer
    rileamoyer Posts: 2,411 Member
    Options
    My osteo arthritis is only in one knee from an old ski injury. I carefully and slowly do squats with dumbells, I have added leg press, extension and curls on machines. I rarely do lunges but do them occasionallymn.I have gradually increased the weights. When I push to hard, I stop a while then start back with less weight. Walking and stairs help me a lot as well.
  • melissab6968
    melissab6968 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I have arthritis and have found using an exercise ball to be very easy. They are inexpensive and have suggestions for a routine.
  • SingerJennXXXX
    Options
    Thanks for the suggestions, ladies! Melissa, I have thought about getting an exercise ball. I guess I will be getting one this weekend.
  • Mercenary1914
    Mercenary1914 Posts: 1,087 Member
    Options
    Water Walking is good for cardio

and Resistance Training is also good
  • TrailRunner61
    TrailRunner61 Posts: 2,505 Member
    Options
    Walking and water aerobics, cycling if you can because it strengthens your knees.
  • Charliebarleymo
    Options
    I suffer from bad knees and can't crouch , kneel or bear any weight on them. Swimming is my best exercise, but most of the cardio machines (elliptical, rower, treadmill, bike etc) are ok for me. I walk rather than jog on the treadmill. Yoga nearly killed me as too much of it was spent on my knees, but Tai Chi is great. I'd like to try Pilates to see how that feels.
  • misty0413
    misty0413 Posts: 212
    Options
    Water zumba!! My friend at work does it
  • sazzyp1973
    sazzyp1973 Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    Boo to arthritis. I have it in my toes and hands (so running is a definite no no!) so know it can be horrid. I would suggest something that will support the knee and help mend it. I know yoga can be a low calorie burner but it is great for muscles and ligaments. Swimming would be good as it will offer support, either plain swimming or aqua aerobics.
  • soulynyc
    soulynyc Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    i suggest you look up some natural remedies like say cinnamon and honey for arthritis pain. and it helps with weight loss too!
  • soulynyc
    soulynyc Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    Water Walking is good for cardio

exactly what im intending to do
  • Charliebarleymo
    Options
  • SingerJennXXXX
    Options
    Thank you all so much for your suggestions!
  • trelm249
    trelm249 Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    Seriously check out Tai-Chi.
  • RedefiningMe
    RedefiningMe Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Great thread and wonderful suggestions. I too have been told that my knee pain is due to arthritis and caring way to much excessive weight. The ortho suggested the upright stationary bike to strengthen my knee. Just about the time I got the knee pain under control and was back to walking outside on trails, I ended up with plantar faciitis in the heel. Again, the recommended "safe" exercise was the upright bike.

I do find that I still get twinges in both the knee and the heel (thankfully not at the same time) on all cardio machines, but not as often on the upright bike. Luckily I am back to walking outside trails, but at about half the distance as before. Wish I had access to a pool - my gym doesn't have one as I know any kind of water activity would be a great way to minimize the aches and pains I get from exercise and sitll give me the kind of workout I need. Oh, well I will just keep plugging along at what I am doing with the fitness tools that are available to me and hope that the continued weight loss with ease the symptoms.

I also heard that the more water you drink (within reason and healthy portions!) the better is it for the arthritis as the fluids lubricate the joints. I have just started trying to up my water intake to see if it helps my joints.

Good luck with your journey of learning to adapt to the arthritis - as I am sure you have figured out, it is no fun and limiting, BUT it seems there are ways to work around it, just as the replies have shown!!
  • SingerJennXXXX
    Options
    Before I injured my knee, I also had Plantar Fasciitis. I ended up getting a pair of newer design Shape-Ups that were designed for both walking and running. I did this because I'm in a local band and that requires I be on my feet for 4 hours over the course of an evening entertaining people. Most of the time, I end up dancing around to get the crowd involved in the shows. Those shoes really help me, taking the pressure off the damaged tendon and distributing my weight differently.

As for the arthritis and gigging with the band, I haven't had too many gigs lately to put any strain on my knee. I have just been trying to find different ways of exercising so that when I do my next gig, I won't hurt as badly the next morning!
    Great thread and wonderful suggestions. I too have been told that my knee pain is due to arthritis and caring way to much excessive weight. The ortho suggested the upright stationary bike to strengthen my knee. Just about the time I got the knee pain under control and was back to walking outside on trails, I ended up with plantar faciitis in the heel. Again, the recommended "safe" exercise was the upright bike.