Should I switch gyms? Would love advice :)

Options
Hey everyone! So today I must make the decision of whether or not I want to switch from my current gym, Vision Quest, to a new gym, LA Fitness.

Here are the pros and cons to Vision Quest
Pros:
-The staff are extremely welcoming, helpful, and I feel comfortable as a result of that
-The fitness trainers will randomly come up to me and correct my posture when I'm lifting if I'm not doing it right during my own individual workouts (never seen this anywhere else! It's truly so so so nice!).
-The gym is tini-tiny, but I know where everything is, and I know exactly what the machines do because my trainer has taken me through virtually all of them by now.
-CHEAP. I pay $19/month.

So those are the pros to my current gym. Here are the cons:
-NO STAIRMASTER!
-Old, somewhat dirty/dusty equipment :/
-Little gym= less equipment.
-No sauna/steam room/ pool/ tennis. None of that besides weights and cardio. That's all they have.
-Close at 10pm weekdays and 6pm on weekends.
-Small gym= serious crowding around the usual gym rush after work at 5pm.

Yesterday, I went to LA fitness as a guest and liked it a lot. It wouldn't be much of a cost difference because I would sign up for $20/month. The equipment was new and they had all the things I wish my current gym had like the stairmaster, pool, sauna, etc. So the pros are obviously all the perks of what newer gyms have to offer these days minus the high price.

Here are some of the cons that I've already been able to pick out:
-Hours of operation are still only "normal people" hours. I'm in college, I study all night sometimes. A 3am workout sounds like a nice option should I reallllyyyyyyyyyy desperately need it. Haha!
-I don't know where anything is, how to use it, or who to ask for help! This is actually pretty serious from my perspective because I've only been lifting for about a week, though very dedicated to it, and I don't want to ever feel discouraged because I don't know how to use a big scary machine! lol!
-No trainer :( I wouldn't be able to afford one there.
-No random help from cuties.... hahaha!!

*One more thing to keep in mind is that I still have a number of training sessions left at my current gym with my awesome trainer. If I were to cancel my membership and switch over to LA fitness, I WOULD be able to still use the rest of the sessions I paid for even without a membership. So I could still squeeze the last drops of juice out of my current situation before moving on...
So this is what I need to figure out today. Yes today. Do I stay at Vision Quest or move on to LA Fitness? Any advice would be greatly appreciated :) But please be nice...

Replies

• shbretired
    shbretired Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    stay

(Man what cheap memberships!)
  • lotushead
    lotushead Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    Haha! I know! I'm really good at finding deals! But why do you say stay if you don't mind me asking?
  • korsicash
    korsicash Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    Stay, the cardio and other things the bigger gym offers maybe you could find at Y. I think the random help in form is going to get you further than the fancier stuff.
  • Charliebarleymo
    Options
    I recently moved from a great cheap private gym to LA Fitness and I really love it. The main reason was the pool and sauna, plus much more modern equipment. The changing room is also bigger and cleaner. I don't regret it and enjoy going so much more.
  • keyboardwench
    keyboardwench Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    Just wondering, since you're a student - what about your school gym? Mine comes included in my tuition so "it's free" sort of and it is a great place with all the modern stuff and the pool sauna. If you're school has one, maybe check it out?

I'd probably stay if it was me. Sounds like you're really comfortable there and you're only gaining a few things. It sucks but you can always do normal stairs in a building or something if you really need that Stairmaster.
  • mem50
    mem50 Posts: 1,384 Member
    Options
    For me I would switch. I love a good swim and water aerobics. Plus a Steam/sauna after is a huge plus!

Since your fees are paid with the trainer I would squeak out every wee bit of info as possible out of that and then perhaps there may be some "good" Samaritans around and about at LA that you could ask the occasional question.

Best of luck figuring it out.

Oh, yeah, I don't like small work out areas.
  • lotushead
    Options
    Just wondering, since you're a student - what about your school gym? Mine comes included in my tuition so "it's free" sort of and it is a great place with all the modern stuff and the pool sauna. If you're school has one, maybe check it out?

I'd probably stay if it was me. Sounds like you're really comfortable there and you're only gaining a few things. It sucks but you can always do normal stairs in a building or something if you really need that Stairmaster.

I'm at a community college for two more quarters so no school gym :( SOON THOUGH! The stairmaster is my favorite. Thanks for the advice.
  • lotushead
    Options
    For me I would switch. I love a good swim and water aerobics. Plus a Steam/sauna after is a huge plus!

Since your fees are paid with the trainer I would squeak out every wee bit of info as possible out of that and then perhaps there may be some "good" Samaritans around and about at LA that you could ask the occasional question.

Best of luck figuring it out.

Oh, yeah, I don't like small work out areas.

Yeah those are definitely some highlights that appeal to me. Thanks for your input.
  • themommie
    themommie Posts: 5,023 Member
    Options
    I think it depends, how much would you use the pool and sauna? also the location of the gyms, I find that convience definately plays into how much I use the gym. I think there are alot of reasons to stay at your current gym they sound very helpful sometimes at the larger gyms you dont get the individual attention. Also does LA fitness have exercise classes that your current gym doesnt offer and how often would you use them ? What times do they offer the classes and do they work with your schedule?ok just throwing things out there to consider
  • foodie99
    foodie99 Posts: 92
    Options
    I work at my gym part time. It is amazing the number of people that come to us from Lifetime (3 just in the 6 hours I worked today) because there are too many people at that gym. They say they can't get on the machines they want often.... forget about the peak times.

Check the gym out during peak time and then see if it would still work for you.
  • iWaffle
    iWaffle Posts: 2,208 Member
    Options
    I would say to pick the gym that will encourage you to go more often. If the thought of better equipment and more options motivates you then pick that. If you like the personal help in the smaller gym then pick that one.

I just use this rinky-dink gym in my community. It is tiny-tiny and lacks several things I want in a gym but it's right here and takes me 2 minutes to get there so it makes it easy to being committed to go. If my gym was further away I might skip some nights because I wouldn't feel like driving over there.
  • lotushead
    Options
    I would say to pick the gym that will encourage you to go more often. If the thought of better equipment and more options motivates you then pick that. If you like the personal help in the smaller gym then pick that one.

I just use this rinky-dink gym in my community. It is tiny-tiny and lacks several things I want in a gym but it's right here and takes me 2 minutes to get there so it makes it easy to being committed to go. If my gym was further away I might skip some nights because I wouldn't feel like driving over there.
    Yes! that is exactly the point I've come to at the moment as far as how I'm looking at it. What's going to get me the best results and where am I going to be more motivated to go. Thanks everyone! Truly appreciated!
  • lotushead
    Options
    I think it depends, how much would you use the pool and sauna? also the location of the gyms, I find that convience definately plays into how much I use the gym. I think there are alot of reasons to stay at your current gym they sound very helpful sometimes at the larger gyms you dont get the individual attention. Also does LA fitness have exercise classes that your current gym doesnt offer and how often would you use them ? What times do they offer the classes and do they work with your schedule?ok just throwing things out there to consider

Thank you! I would use to pool and sauna a lot! I love a good workout and am always looking to make it harder, better, faster, etc. haha swimming laps in the pool is seriously tough and really a great workout. So i like the option. The classes I would definitely take and would motivate me for sure! I'm going to get a schedule today and make sure it would work like you recommended.
  • lotushead
    Options
    Officially decided that I'm not switching! yay!