I gained a pound!

Options
So - this is my first month on this website and have been doing really well with tracking my calories and keeping them within my daily limits. I stepped on the scale this morning and was up 1 lb. Still down overall - but yikes! That is not the right direction to be going in.

I haven't changed my eating habits and I am really watching calorie intake. Should I worry? I know it is just 1 lb. but I'm scared 1 will turn into 3 will turn into 5...and so on and so on.
Maybe just water weight? I don't know...

Replies

• tubbytabbytales
    tubbytabbytales Posts: 5,883
    Options
    Yeah, I was gonna say it's probably just your water. In the past month have you drank a LOT more than you were before? Or, when you're counting your foods, are you counting your sodium intake too?

Keep it up, I'm proud of you for being good about tracking your food!! :flowerforyou:
  • Fit4Vet
    Fit4Vet Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    I did that too for a while, then I started losing.

Just recently.

And, I'd been exercising like a feen (pheen? sp?) for 2 months!

Don't worry, it will come off eventually. Didn't get "on" overnight & won't get "off" overnight. (cliche', I know, sorry).

However, you can look over some things...sodium intake is one - causes you to hold onto water more.

also, how much H2O are you drinking? If I don't drink my water, I won't lose an ounce! :huh:

I know that there are others, but these are 2 that come to mind.

Maybe someone else will have some more idea.

Keep the faith!:heart:
  • stormieweather
    stormieweather Posts: 2,549 Member
    Options
    Fiend :tongue:

Weight varies. On some people it can vary a LOT from day to day. As long as your overall progress is going in the right direction, you're cool!
  • re_define
    re_define Posts: 39
    Options
    I am right there with you :grumble:
    The past week I went up a little over 2 pounds but I'm hoping it's because of my sodium intake/gaining muscle/some reasons out there in the universe lol
    But this is when it really counts. Some people might say "Oh well, guess I can't lose the weight" and just throw in the towel but we have to push through and keep going. You'll lose that pound very soon :smile:
  • CasperO
    CasperO Posts: 2,913 Member
    Options
    You didn't gain a pound, you retained a pint of water. Did you eat something salty last night? I love mexican, and it's not bad on the cals if you watch the cheesy sauces, but it's salty and I'm always up a pound or 2 the next day.

Think about this - a pound of bodyfat is basically 3500 calories. Now I'm gonna throw a dart and guess that your maintenance level is maybe 2400 calories a day - so MFP has you on maybe 1400 calories a day for a 1000 a day calorie deficit, and you should lose 2 pounds a week. Pretty close?

So - to really gain back a real, legitimate pound of bodyfat, you would have to eat you allowance, plus the deficit, plus the 3500 calories for the pound. That's close to 6000 calories. Say that out loud - SIX THOUSAND CALORIES. That's pretty much a whole birthday cake, plus the candles,,, and maybe a present or two. That's an awful lot of food. Is there any way in the world you "accidentally" ate an extra 4400 calories?!?! Didn't think so.

Relax - you're doing fine - watch the long term trend, not the day bay day. :happy:
  • Demetria
    Demetria Posts: 178
    Options
    more than likely it's water retention, did you drink enough water yesterday or eat any high sodium foods? It also depends on how often, when and where you weigh yourself.

I only weigh myself no more than once a week, first thing in the morning, after I go potty, bare naked, and in my bathroom I keep the scale in the same place. My girlfriend says she does better if she weighs herself 2 -3 times a week, that would stress me out too much.

I also look more at how my clothes are fitting or if I just feel smaller.

I would not stress over it, just keep up the hard work!

Demetria
  • Xannthippe
    Xannthippe Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    Everyone here I think is correct with water weight. I've learned along the way that 1 pound will not kill me. Push fluids and keep going. With me, it's always either Mexican or Chinese that gets me and if it's just one pound and not 2 or 3 the next day, I'm lucky...hehee!

Keep going and be proud of what you've done so far! Good luck!
  • Fit4Vet
    Options
    Fiend :tongue:

Weight varies. On some people it can vary a LOT from day to day. As long as your overall progress is going in the right direction, you're cool!

thanks, just couldn't get the brain & the word wired up right! :laugh:
  • kandyjo
    kandyjo Posts: 4,648 Member
    Options
    I am right there with you :grumble:
    The past week I went up a little over 2 pounds but I'm hoping it's because of my sodium intake/gaining muscle/some reasons out there in the universe lol
    But this is when it really counts. Some people might say "Oh well, guess I can't lose the weight" and just throw in the towel but we have to push through and keep going. You'll lose that pound very soon :smile:

First of all.... I absolutely LOVE your weiner dogs in your profile pic :happy: They are my favorite dogs :smile:

Ok, now on subject....
    I weigh on Wednesdays and this Wed. I was up a pound and upset about it.... I have been doing really good, just didn't get my exercise in this week.... Anyway, I decided to weigh again today and it was down two pounds...so I lost the pound I gained and an extra pound.... I have weighed about 5 times today...thinking it was a fluke! :laugh: But it continues to say the same thing. Don't get too upset over one pound. I'm thinking it's water... That is what mine was that is why it came off so easily...
    Good luck! Stay with it!! You can do it !!!
  • Fit4Vet
    Options
    You didn't gain a pound, you retained a pint of water. Did you eat something salty last night? I love mexican, and it's not bad on the cals if you watch the cheesy sauces, but it's salty and I'm always up a pound or 2 the next day.

Think about this - a pound of bodyfat is basically 3500 calories. Now I'm gonna throw a dart and guess that your maintenance level is maybe 2400 calories a day - so MFP has you on maybe 1400 calories a day for a 1000 a day calorie deficit, and you should lose 2 pounds a week. Pretty close?

So - to really gain back a real, legitimate pound of bodyfat, you would have to eat you allowance, plus the deficit, plus the 3500 calories for the pound. That's close to 6000 calories. Say that out loud - SIX THOUSAND CALORIES. That's pretty much a whole birthday cake, plus the candles,,, and maybe a present or two. That's an awful lot of food. Is there any way in the world you "accidentally" ate an extra 4400 calories?!?! Didn't think so.

Relax - you're doing fine - watch the long term trend, not the day bay day. :happy:

Whoa...did I mention I wuv U? :bigsmile: Love, love, love the way you think! I'm printin' this post, buddy!
    :flowerforyou:

(don't send any jealous wifey my way, I'm just "hittin'" on yer brain!)
  • christahollis
    Options
    i never worry much about a pound up...it's always water...as long as the overall trend continues down.
  • pattitricia85
    Options
    don't worry about one pound! Are you weighing yourself the same time of day? I make sure I do it in the morning when my stomach is totally empty.
  • CasperO
    CasperO Posts: 2,913 Member
    Options
    <<snip>> Is there any way in the world you "accidentally" ate an extra 4400 calories?!?! Didn't think so.

Whoa...did I mention I wuv U? :bigsmile: Love, love, love the way you think! I'm printin' this post, buddy!

My wife would howl with laughter while packing my stuff, but I don't think it would work out. All these veggies have made me gassy.
  • Fit4Vet
    Options
    <<snip>> Is there any way in the world you "accidentally" ate an extra 4400 calories?!?! Didn't think so.

My wife would howl with laughter while packing my stuff, but I don't think it would work out. All these veggies have made me gassy.

:noway: LOL! And, me...I'm on the same high veggie diet! :sick: Oh good law!