Can you be too heavy to Jog?

Options
Hi Pals,

I'm 268.5 lbs and have recently started a a C25K programme.

I'm not and haven't really been a runner, but have a desire to become one.
But, at the back of my mind I keep thinking am I putting too much strain on my body in it's current condition.
Having said that Weeks 1 & 2 have gone OK.

Run or not to run?

Loozin

Replies

• Erica27511
    Erica27511 Posts: 490 Member
    Options
    I've been wondering the same thing... I'd like to start C25k, but have heard when you have so much weight, it puts extra strain on your knees. So, I am trying to lose some weight before starting.

Interested to see what majority says...thanks for posting.
  • ashlinmarie
    ashlinmarie Posts: 1,263 Member
    Options
    My manager at work is probably closer to 300 lbs...she's a big lady and she just completed a half marathon 2 weeks ago...and when she rain, the official race was cancelled due to the heat, though the staff let those who wanted to finish finish it. She also had knee surgery in October. So yeah, I'd say if she can do it, you can too! Just takes work!
  • Superchikanthem
    Superchikanthem Posts: 362 Member
    Options
    I would suggest you talk to your doctor before starting if you think your to heavy. My husband is not yet allowed to jog or run but he can bike.
  • rando348
    rando348 Posts: 22
    Options
    if you got a gym try using an elliptic trainer. Just turn up the resistance otherwise its isn't going to be a good substitute. By turning up the resistance you'll get the same type of workout as jogging. Leaving the resistance on level 1, like so many people do, is almost worthless and wont give you an equivalent workout to your jogging. Just an idea.
  • TheAncientMariner
    TheAncientMariner Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    I would say no, but it depends on how tall you are. If you're relatively short, I would actually caution against it and suggest walking instead. However, if you're tall, then by all means go for it. Clear it with your doctor first though, because that is an incredible amount of force you're putting onto your frame (depending on your size).
  • Doing_The_Unstruck
    Doing_The_Unstruck Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    I don't know what long term effects it could have. I would just advise to listen to your body, take it slow, and only really up speed and distance once you reach a healthier weight.
  • Canbfit4life
    Canbfit4life Posts: 124
    Options
    size isnt a factor but it ma ybe be alot for your knees to handle ,but i suggest starting short distances ,jog & walk & as your weight comes off & endurance pick up increase your jogging distance ,its a great way to get the weight off fast ...you can do it!
  • teeley
    teeley Posts: 477 Member
    Options
    I started at around that weight and didn't have any issues.
  • LouisaMoo
    LouisaMoo Posts: 11
    Options
    I'm doing C25k too and I think the advice is the same for everyone - listen to your body, if you feel real pain (rather than discomfort because your muscles aren't used to it, which is what I get every time!) then talk to your GP about it. Also remember that even if you have to stop and only do half of the day's run, you're still making progress. The only way to fail is to give up. It might be a slow process but you'll improve with every step!
  • stellapiano
    stellapiano Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I've been asking myself the same question, honestly. My boyfriend is a long distance runner, but having spent so much of my life being fairly inactive, I can barely run for more than a couple of minutes at a time. I can't help but wonder if I'm not meant to be a runner.

But if the C25k is going well for you so far, then I think you'll be good! I would keep at it and just pay close attention to how my body is feeling. Just keep at it and take your time about it.

Good luck with it! :)
  • cbeutler
    cbeutler Posts: 667 Member
    Options
    I'm 305 and did my first 5k this morning. Look at the New Balance Good Form Running website to learn how to run without injury.
  • freew67
    freew67 Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    I ran a unofficial 5k at 300 lbs. I started to add short jogs to my walks around 280-285 lbs. I am not a runner nor have a ever wanted to run before in my life. Im 6'3 and have lost about 85 lbs so far. I am doing C25K right now and tomorrow I will do W2D3. Its been fairly easy for me. Im currently about 255. I started walking in Aug about 3-4 times a week. If you havent, defo check with a doc to make sure they think its safe for you to do. If a week of C25K is hard for you, no shame on repeating a day or even the entire week till it gets a little bit easier.

Good luck!
  • 4thehardman
    4thehardman Posts: 731 Member
    Options
    I started at 260lbs. Currently 244lbs as a result, loving the running but a long way to go!
  • mlemonroe2
    mlemonroe2 Posts: 603
    Options
    I DID IT LAST SUMMER AT 205. FINISHED IT IN 9 WEEKS!!!
  • gypsykitchen
    Options
    I was at around the same weight as you at the start of my weight loss journey, and I can't run. I messed up my ankles playing sports a few years ago, and now I have excruciating ankle pain whenever I try to run. I might try it again after I lose more weight, but in the meantime, I do a lot of other workouts that don't stress the ankles too much. I especially like the elliptical machine - it's actually made my ankles stronger!

That being said, I know people who've made tremendous progress with running. I think the most important thing is just to listen to your body. If something hurts, like knees or ankles, maybe you should try a lower-impact activity. Believe me, you don't want to mess up your ankles for the rest of your life!
  • Topsking2010
    Topsking2010 Posts: 2,245 Member
    Options
    I was 233 pounds and did no running until I lost 47 pounds. I found other ways to burn calories, like spinning and the Elipitcal. In my opinion you will increase your risk of injury by running while obese.

Find something else to do until you lose enough weight for running and avoid putting stress on your knees and back.

Have you ever heard the saying it's better to walk before you run!!!

• MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    Talk to your doctor.
  • marywanoKC
    marywanoKC Posts: 176
    Options
    I've read a few places that when you run, your weight x 10 is what your knees are handling. True or not, for that reason alone, I'll climb mountains on the elliptical all day long before I screw up my knees. I need those for life, and I've had too many friends, athletes, who through knee replacements and sports injuries are a strong reminder that ONE false move can leave you in a lifetime of pain and surgeries and medical bills.

Edited to add that I am DYING to run. I itch every time I put my running shoes on for the gym to just take a jaunt around the block. When I finally CAN confidently run, it'll be on like Donkey Kong...lmao!
  • netchik
    netchik Posts: 587 Member
    Options
    Nope. i started running when I was over 300lbs.
  • Erica27511
    Erica27511 Posts: 490 Member
    Options
    I'm 305 and did my first 5k this morning. Look at the New Balance Good Form Running website to learn how to run without injury.

CONGRATS on your first 5k!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    I will be checking out that website...thanks for sharing.