I feel like I'm eating too many calories.......HELP!!!

abr25
abr25 Posts: 179
edited September 19 in Health and Weight Loss
So i've been in maintenance mode for a few weeks now and have slowly increasing my calories per week. It says I am suppose to be eating like 1900 calories a day (i am 5'7 and 125 lbs) and right now i am at about 1700.

I have stayed at about the same weight, maybe lost a lb more but about the same, but I am confused because some people swear that all you should be eating is 1200 calories a day. Other websites say that for a woman my age and weight it should be what MFP says with 1900-2000.

What should I follow?!?!?!

Replies

• hiddensecant
    hiddensecant Posts: 2,446 Member
    It sounds like 1900 would keep you the same weight since you lost a little since bumping up to 1700.

Why would you want to maintain on 1200 when you can maintain on 1900?

People who undereat to lose weight need to continue undereating to maintain it and might therefore end up maintaining on 1200. But it sounds like you're doing fine on 1700 and can afford to bump up to 1900 if you like.
  • erikazj
    erikazj Posts: 2,365 Member
    I would imagine its one of those things that is different for everyone and really depends on how active you are etc. I'd slowly increase them a little bit at a time until your weight remains fairly stable (not losing or gaining) and I'm sure you'll find the number where you feel comfortable. On a personal level I don't think I could eat only 1200 calories a day, even for a short period of time, let alone for the rest of my life and although I'm still in the losing stage, I would rather lose slowly slowly then have to eat that little!!! I know however that for some people it is different. You say you've been upping for a few weeks now, I would think if you haven' t put any weight on yet, you probably need more than 1200 a day to maintain. :smile:

It sounds like you are being sensible by increasing slowly, and I'd stick with that for now. You'll find your balance!

Erika
This discussion has been closed.