Healthy alternatives to mayo & ketchup?

Options

Replies

• EricNCSU
    EricNCSU Posts: 699 Member
    Options
    I use Miracle Whip Lite, 20 calories per tablespoon and I rarely need to use more than 2 tbsp. I use ketchup sparingly and don't really worry about it since it is low cal in small doses.

*Googles*
    That looked amazing, lol, then I read the ingredients....HIGH FRUCTOSE CORN SYRUP! *Alarm Bells*

High Fructose Corn Syrup Dangers
    1. Significant Risk of Weight Gain & Obesity
    2. Increased Risk of Developing Type-2 Diabetes
    3. Hypertension and Elevated “Bad” Cholesterol Levels
    4. High Fructose Corn Syrup & Long-Term Liver Damage
    5. Mercury Exposure from HFCS

http://www.globalhealingcenter.com/natural-health/high-fructose-corn-syrup-dangers/

I'd be careful with the whip, StarkLark :)

For *kitten*'s sake there is NOTHING wrong with HFCS... This kind of bull**** and misinformation is what leads so many people down the wrong path, and this **** pisses me off.

Also, what's wrong with ketchup? Like 30 cals a serving.. no need to cut it out. I quit mayo as a convenience thing (taking deli sandwiches to work, even with a fridge mayo seemed sktechy) rather than a health reason.
  • SweetSammie
    SweetSammie Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    Guacamole/Avocado instead of mayo. Whole grain mustard.

I also make a great tuna salad with SOME mayo, but sweet chili sauce as well, sweet-spicy DELICIOUS. I often use some mayo and some greek yogurt in recipes.

Edited to say - you can buy lower-sugar ketchup.
  • leomom72
    leomom72 Posts: 1,797 Member
    Options
    bump..i am an addict to both:laugh: :wink:
  • Elizabeth_C34
    Elizabeth_C34 Posts: 6,376 Member
    Options
    I use Miracle Whip Light and sandwiches. Heinz also makes a reduced sugar ketchup that is way lighter in calories than regular ketchup. It's not bad. Not as good as regular, but a good alternative.
  • XXXMinnieXXX
    XXXMinnieXXX Posts: 3,459 Member
    Options
    Salsa. Super cheap to make up, so yummy and keeps for a good week in the fridge! X
  • EKarma
    EKarma Posts: 594 Member
    Options
    I do salsa instead of ketchup sometimes. but I always measure my ketchup. I'm addicted too.
  • NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    Kraft Olive Oil Mayo is pretty low-cal, and it's healthier since it's made with olive oil.

You can find low-sugar, organic ketchup.
  • CCloud5754
    CCloud5754 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    the fat content is fine in mayo, the carb count is 0, so small (1 tbsp) is ok. i am sugar intolerant and have to monitor my carb count and keep it at 15 carbs a day. i have lost 3.5 pounds in a week and dont weigh in again until monday. i cant wait.
    we all need the fat content in our diet. it helps our organs to function. the carbs on the other hand only store as cellulite after you consume so much. your body only NEEDS 15 grams of carbohydrates a day. cut the bread, pastas and grains from your diet and see what happens. youll be amazed. btw. milk is very high in carbs,cals and fat but cheese on the other hand because of the change it goes thru is not. you can have up to 4 ounces of cheese a day,
    for more info contact me at ccloud5754@gmail.com
    cindy
  • pinkraynedropjacki
    pinkraynedropjacki Posts: 3,027 Member
    Options
    There is a low fat, low calorie mayo you can make with mustard powder. Only problem is I can no longer find the recipe....which is a bummer cause I went & got mustard powder to make it & now cant find the recipe.
  • _canuckrunner_
    _canuckrunner_ Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    I often use tzatziki on sandwiches instead of mayo and salsa instead of ketchup.
  • HartJames
    HartJames Posts: 789 Member
    Options
    It's not that hard to make your own healthier versions of either. I use both but only occasionally. Usually use mustard instead, sometime avocado or hummus. For something like a sub. for mayo in a salad I use Greek yogurt.
  • Erindipitous
    Erindipitous Posts: 1,234 Member
    Options
    I love ketchup. :) #1 condiment in my book.

Random side note, about twelve years ago in junior high, a friend and I made a song about Heinz ketchup to the tune of Britney Spears "Lucky".
  • KeiKun
    KeiKun Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I use Miracle Whip Lite, 20 calories per tablespoon and I rarely need to use more than 2 tbsp. I use ketchup sparingly and don't really worry about it since it is low cal in small doses.

*Googles*
    That looked amazing, lol, then I read the ingredients....HIGH FRUCTOSE CORN SYRUP! *Alarm Bells*

http://www.globalhealingcenter.com/natural-health/high-fructose-corn-syrup-dangers/

For *kitten*'s sake there is NOTHING wrong with HFCS... This kind of bull**** and misinformation is what leads so many people down the wrong path, and this **** pisses me off.

Also, what's wrong with ketchup? Like 30 cals a serving.. no need to cut it out. I quit mayo as a convenience thing (taking deli sandwiches to work, even with a fridge mayo seemed sktechy) rather than a health reason.

Did you click the link, dude?
    It isn't some old wives tale or the random musings of some fitness "guru", there were actual studies carried out, one was done by the prestigious Princeton Uni, too. ;)
    And ketchup is indeed low cal, but it contains too much sugar and diabetes runs in the extended family, I'm being cautious. :)
  • Elizabeth_C34
    Elizabeth_C34 Posts: 6,376 Member
    Options

*Googles*

Did you click the link, dude?
    It isn't some old wives tale or the random musings of some fitness "guru", there were actual studies carried out, one was done by the prestigious Princeton Uni, too. ;)
    And ketchup is indeed low cal, but it contains too much sugar and diabetes runs in the extended family, I'm being cautious. :)

http://www.alanaragonblog.com/2010/01/29/the-bitter-truth-about-fructose-alarmism/
    http://www.alanaragonblog.com/2010/02/19/a-retrospective-of-the-fructose-alarmism-debate/

The guy who started the whole HFCS alarmism (Dr. Robert Lustig) has been called out many times, even by his colleagues.

http://www.ajcn.org/content/88/6/1716S.short

There is absolutely no evidence that HFCS consumption (as part of a healthy well-regulated diet) has any effect aside from similar effects of sugar.
  • jamaicanlady
    jamaicanlady Posts: 878 Member
    Options

*Googles*

Calm down dude. It aint that serious....you're acting like you invented the stuff or something.
  • WhatitisLiz
    WhatitisLiz Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I have a really bad addiction to both of them :X
    Sometimes instead of thinking up dips for meals I think up meals to go with dips!
    Only just realised how many calories and fat is in a tbsp of Hellmans! And the sugar content in Ketchup is pretty darn high too!

Does anyone know of any healthy low cal, low fat alternatives? Or even homemade dip recipes?

Thanks in advance :D

Have you ever heard of Walden Farms? They make 0 calorie mayo, ketchup, salad dressing, chocolate syrup, BBQ sauce and others. Of course it doesn't all taste the same as the full calorie version but I swear by the brand.
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    I am bad, I just use lower quantities of mayo & ketchup. I wouldn't say I am addicted though. I also eat smaller portions of food so I can still enjoy my condiments.
  • dmpizza
    dmpizza Posts: 3,321 Member
    Options
    Salsa, mustard and hot sauce have almost no calories.
  • Skeebee
    Skeebee Posts: 740 Member
    Options
    Hummus instead of mayo is a good one! My personal fav right now is Avacado instead of mayo. You're trading a fat for a fat, but a healthier one! Its soooo yummy!

^THIS!!! <3
  • Mommy_Time
    Mommy_Time Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    there is also great marinades u can use just have to watch calories and so forth in them as well but there are tons of great ones