Making pizza on the outdoor gas grill?

Options
I am reading some recipes about pizza on the outdoor grill and they have you grill the pizza on one side, take it out and flip it and put the toppings on the grilled side, then slide it back in to melt the toppings and cook the other side of the dough.

Has anyone tried this?

Can it be done with Trader Joe's pizza dough?

Replies

• lvelino
    lvelino Posts: 3
    Options
    Yes, that's how I make my grilled pizza. You need to make sure you put some olive oil on the dough before you put it on the grill or it will be stuck to the grill. If you are in a hurry you can try premade crusts call "top this" Good luck!
  • OccupyFitness
    Options
    Yes, that's how I make my grilled pizza. You need to make sure you put some olive oil on the dough before you put it on the grill or it will be stuck to the grill. If you are in a hurry you can try premade crusts call "top this" Good luck!

Thanks! Have you tried it with the Trader Joe's pizza dough?
  • mgoetsch1982
    mgoetsch1982 Posts: 392 Member
    Options
    I am reading some recipes about pizza on the outdoor grill and they have you grill the pizza on one side, take it out and flip it and put the toppings on the grilled side, then slide it back in to melt the toppings and cook the other side of the dough.

Has anyone tried this?

Can it be done with Trader Joe's pizza dough?

I actually did this tonight for dinner. We had a par-cooked thin crust that we grilled on one side, then flipped. Once flipped, we put the toppings on and put on the top shelf for more of an indirect heat. We have a very hot grill and didn't want the crust to get too dark. It turned out great. My 6 year old ate 3 pieces of pizza which is a first and loved it. The crust was super crispy.
  • _HeyMommy_
    _HeyMommy_ Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    Yup.. do it all the time. Just make sure to use cooking spray or oil to keep it from sticking... so good!
  • michellelhartwig
    michellelhartwig Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    bump! Super excited to try this
  • rattler0812
    rattler0812 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    My Boy Scout Troop has done pizza over an open fire many times using a portable grill. Really good pizzas! As long as they remember not to stir the fire causing ash to fly up. As you get better at how long to put them on the grill, you can get the crust to the exact crispness you like and they are Absolutely WONDERFUL!!
  • lvelino
    lvelino Posts: 3
    Options
    I have not tried it with Trader Joe's pizza dough. I have used pizza dough from a bakery. Just make sure you don't make thick pizza crust for the grill, you want the dough thin, because it will shrink and puff up when it hits the heat. If your dough is too thick the outside will burn before the center of the dough is cooked. Once you get it right, it's very easy to do. Good luck!
  • Weezoh
    Weezoh Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    Alton Brown's Good Eats: Flat is Beautiful V covers this. You can probably find it on YouTube it was just aired on foodnetwork last week I think.
  • EmeliaFoo
    EmeliaFoo Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    I keep a pizza stone on my grill for this purpose. Makes things much easier!

9kynaa.jpg
  • healthybabs
    healthybabs Posts: 531 Member
    Options

9kynaa.jpg

Thanks for that great suggestion, I am going to get a pizza stone for my Weber. I am making pizza on the grill tonight for supper in fact but without the stone. I use fresh whole wheat dough from the market and make individual pizzas, a little easier to handle and everyone can have what they want on it. Yes, be sure to put olive oil on it so it doesn't stick. I made that mistake only once, but it sure was a mess...lesson learned!
  • Josephina57
    Josephina57 Posts: 170 Member
    Options

this is a great idea, thanks. I'm going to have to dig out my stone and give this a try.
  • blessingsx2
    blessingsx2 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    We make pizza on our grill and I have never had to flip the dough. I roll out the dough, put my toppings on, and put it the grill. We do have a Green egg grill and with those we can keep the heat at 325. Maybe that makes a differnece.