Can anyone help?

Options
I've had real problems for almost a year with my back and legs. I finally got a couple of MRI scans done and they found I have a bulging disc and severely torn gluteus minimus, and torn gluteus medius. I've been told I have to be very careful not to inflame the situation, no squats, no lunges, I'm not even to walk up hill. Has anyone had any of these problems and what gentle exercise did you do? I go back to my physio on Thursday, but was hoping to do something before then

Replies

• crudd123
    crudd123 Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    Could you do water aerobics? I've heard that is not so hard on you! Good luck to you!
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    Oh my...the only thing I can think of is maybe swimming!? Walking a flat area.
  • Christine1110
    Christine1110 Posts: 1,786 Member
    Options
    You really need to ask a dr......maybe swimming? Diet is 70% of weightloss ....if that helps : )
  • NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    You should definitely wait until your appointment. You will be given exercises that are safe and will be shown how to do them.
  • katiejarr
    katiejarr Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    I have bulging disks in my neck and lower back, before i lost 30 pounds i was always in constant pain, after I lost the weight the pain is virtually gone and I also practice yoga twice and that also helps a lot...good luck :smile:
  • TAMMYCLARK62
    TAMMYCLARK62 Posts: 102
    Options
    I had back surgery for bulging discs about 8 years ago......I started walking slowly for a bit.....make sure you give yourself lots of time to heal but do not lay around or the pain will get worse. A few years after I had the surgery they told me I needed it again but I tried physio and that helped more than surgery. The best thing to do is what you are told until you are healed then still be very careful what you do for a long time. My back still bothers me from time to time but I have learned to listen to it and take it easy or not do what bothers it. Strong anti-inflamatories like naproxen help you if you take them like prescribed but do not take them too long. Good luck with your problems and hope you feel better soon.
  • caiialily
    caiialily Posts: 28
    Options
    Really only your doctor or DPT will be able to tell you for sure what is acceptable. Better not to risk further injuring yourself.
  • katiejarr
    katiejarr Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    I have bulging disks in my neck and lower back, before i lost 30 pounds i was always in constant pain, after I lost the weight the pain is virtually gone and I also practice yoga twice and that also helps a lot...good luck :smile:

*twice a week
  • TAMMYCLARK62
    TAMMYCLARK62 Posts: 102
    Options
    oh yes yoga and swimming are awesome but I would wait to get an ok from a doctor
  • Skeebee
    Skeebee Posts: 740 Member
    Options
    Just got diagnosed with a herniated disc on Thursday, too. :-( was told absolutely nothing so I would wait until you see the doctor again. It totally sucks....I know how you feel. Missed my Zumba class for the first time EVER! Soooo bummed...
  • Martin0524
    Martin0524 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I have closed spina bifida..with buldging disc.... When I was 250lbs + .....I was in constant pain with severe muclse spasms... I'm down 114lbs. off my all my pain meds, jogging and working out regularly with little to no pain..

There are days I have a lot of pain but nothing before to the point I was drugged down inorder to get out of bed. Continue to work with doctor and do not have back surgery you will be worse then you are now...

As far as exercise do what you can. You know your body.. If the pain kicks in stop or slow down.. Be safe and have a good day...
  • Boomer1946
    Boomer1946 Posts: 124
    Options
    After 7 back surgeries and years of pain, I have to tell you that medical doctors DO NOT have the answers. Try acupuncture.

Tom

:smile:
  • katemme
    katemme Posts: 191
    Options
    I was going to suggest physical therapy, but you already made an appointment! Yay! I would just take it easy, stay on a flat surface. Don't do anything until your appointment, and there you can ask a LICENSED person who knows what they are doing for exercises/stretches you can do.