Chicken in Beer sauce. Zomg.

Options
Ohmydaze
Ohmydaze Posts: 403 Member
So, this isn't hugely healthy..

But it's not bad for you either. It's chicken, and vegetables, and beer.

That's it.

But somehow, while cooking, it turned into this amazing malty thick saucy sauce that I wasn't expecting, and it was damn good. So.

1 red onion - Chopped, not super fine, but not into huge chunks. A happy medium chunkiness.
2 green peppers - Into strips, or small bits, whatever you fancy.
3 garlic cloves - Finely chopped.
A little olive oil

Fry these things until soft, and slightly going burny and caramelized and gorgeous.
Season with salt and pepper.

Meanwhile, slice up some chicken breasts ( I used two big ones for three people) into even sized chunks. In a bowl, ( I did this straight onto a chopping board, which worked great and felt professional and cheffy, until I got over confident and added more liquid, and it went everywhere) slug some beer over the chicken chunks, and season with salt, pepper, dried herbs, a chicken oxo cube and any other spices you may desire. Chuck on a little more beer ( I probably used a little over 100ml total) and marinade for a while, while the onions and peppers finish.

Add a tablespoon of tomato puree, and a slug of balsamic vinegar to the veg mix, and stir well. Then add the chicken mix, and stir until it's all seared. Stir well, and it should be getting thicker and start smelling awesome. Cook for maybe 5 mins, until the chicken is done, adding more beer as the sauce gets too thick and starts to stick. I probably used 300ml beer, and drank the rest. Taste and season as needed, maybe adding another stock cube. I'm not sure if I did or not.

I served this with mashed potatoes ( and more beer) , and my menfolk adored it, but that may be a little carby for some, so serve with Quinoa, or salad or something, or just add more beer and veg to make a casserole :)

I hope this makes sense, I'm a little tipsy while writing this, but honestly, try this one day. It's awesome.

Replies