Urg... gained 3lbs!

Options
2»

Replies

• Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    I won't add to the calorie advice - as you already have some good advice. Just 2 points:

1) your activity level setting on MFP should be that excluding workouts - MFP is a bit stingy on the activity levels, so sedentary really is sedentary - not a desk job which would more likely be lightly active.

2) the more you exercise the more water your body retains so 3lb will be water weight. As you are eating at a deficit if you have any muscle gains at all they will be "newbie gains' if you have just started lifting, and will be very small gains - the actual gain is the water in your existing muscle (or it could just be that you have more food in your stomach/water in your bladder when you weighed).

ETA: the macros that you have set in MFP (default settings) are way to low on fats and protein - however, what you are actually eating (at least in the last few days) is fine.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,129 Member
    Options
  • donyellemoniquex3
    donyellemoniquex3 Posts: 2,384 Member
    Options
    Same here. Apparently I gained 2 lbs in 1 week 8/
  • doasyouwill
    Options
    You know, there are dozens of reasons we gain weight and only one of those reasons is us having gained actual body fat. Here are a few thoughts:

1. you could be retaining water
    2. Muscle gain (though you shouldn't be gaining more than maybe 2lbs a month from muscle)
    3. Everything you eat has mass. If you eat a meal that weighs 2 lbs, guess what? The scale will read that you're 2lbs heavier.
    4. Your clothing has mass. Sometimes the difference in my weight can change 1-2lbs depending on whether or not I'm fully clothed.
    5. Go poop lol.

If you know you are doing everything you can and everything you should be there is NO reason to assume a little weight gain is a reflection of you increasing body fat. It is far more likely that it's one of the things I listed and not because something is going wrong/ you're getting fatter. I'm one of those people who weighs themselves several times a day and my weight can fluctuate 1-5lbs during that time. While it's exciting the see those lower numbers, it doesn't mean you should freak out if you suddenly "gain" 1 or 2 lbs.