Strength training?

Options
I've been on here for a couple of months now, and am losing a pound or two a week. I do 45min. of cardio three days a week, but would like to add some exercise to my 'off' days. I'm already paying for the gym membership, and I don't have time to get there more often. I want to add something that I can do at home for free or cheap. Is it worth it for me to hire a trainer just to set me up with some things to do? I also am recovering from tennis elbow, and have a bad knee (fractured it in a car wreck a few years ago). Does anyone have suggestions of exercises I could do, or know of online resources that might help. Thanks everyone!

Replies

• Spanaval
    Spanaval Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    Try YouTube. For something different, try pilates (POP pilates /blogilates, for instance). It's pretty much all body weight exercises, so you don't need to invest in any equipment. I've heard good things about bodyrock TV, but haven't tried it out.
  • philk13
    philk13 Posts: 1
    Options
    Hello, I'm new here -- I just joined today -- but saw your post. First, I'd say you definitely do NOT need to hire an expensive trainer. Personal opinion, but a trainer is mainly there for the mental help of motivating you (to keep your paid-for appointments with them, to have someone watch you, keep you to your goals, etc.) -- if you can motivate yourself, you can find all of their knowledge online. Then again, if your time is a concern (and your wallet isn't), a trainer might be the right option. For exercise suggestions, given your knee and elbow situation, I recommend you try water jogging -- yeah, its exactly what it sounds like -- if you have access to a pool. Even light swimming might work, if it doesn't bother you. Another option - invest in a $10 fitness band (Can buy on Amazon or any sports store) -- it's basically a giant rubber band. Use it to do assorted exercises at home, in the comfort of your apartment or yard.
  • ashlinmarie
    ashlinmarie Posts: 1,263 Member
    Options
    I had a free consultation with a trainer when I signed up for my membership and she gave me a great starting workout that I can build on for awhile at least.

She started me at:

10 squats (I do 15 now)
    10 incline pushups (now 15)
    10 one arm rows with 8lb weight (now 15 with 10lb)
    10 overhead presses with 5 lb weight (now 15 with 8lb)
    10 lat pull downs 40lbs (now 15 with 50 lbs)
    10 reps on roman chair (now 15)

I do two circuits (and can bump up to 3 when that becomes easy) and then do 15 bosu crunches and 15 reverse crunches. It is great for my core and arms and back.

Nice thing is, if you have free weights, you can do most of these from home, though I'm not sure of your problem areas, but it works well for me.

Jillian Micheals also has great DVDs..I know when I was doing the 30 day shred, I was losing more inches than lbs because I was gaining muscle and was a lot leaner.
  • CEHayes73
    CEHayes73 Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone. I hadn't thought of Pilates, but I found some good stuff on YouTube.