Fiber One bars

Options
2»

Replies

• megleo818
    megleo818 Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    Can't eat those -- they make my belly hurt too much. Have switched to Cliff Z Bars, which have 130-ish calories and are pretty good in a pinch, like first thing in the morning before a workout. They're quick and easy and give me enough calories to make it through some cardio before a "real" breakfast.
  • Monwilli
    Monwilli Posts: 24
    Options
    No wonder I've been so gassy! I was wondering what the hell it was that I was eating. I used to eat Kashi cereal for breakfast EVERY morning, and then the gas went away. So it's been awhile since I've had so much fiber again. body just needs some getting used to. =]
  • BHRussell
    BHRussell Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    They do that to me also....I can clear out the room. My body seems to have adjusted.. I think.. I have also tried the Luna ones and is not as bad. Nutz over chocolate is my fav. I tried the slim fast 3 2 1 peanut crunch.. it tastes like a butterfinger.
  • tripitena
    tripitena Posts: 554 Member
    Options
    I eat them as a sweet treat and my husband eats one every day. We eat a fairly high fiber diet though and have for years. I agree with whomever mentioned that a high fiber load like that can take getting used to. Sudden increase in fiber can cause tummy trouble for sure. Lots of water is a must.
  • delco714
    delco714 Posts: 229
    Options
    the 35% screw me up bad.. likely due to the chicory root.. the 20% ones are fine..

either way, i prefer the Kashi dark mocha almond bars. They are better in every way.

just remember it's not the AMOUNT of fiber... it's what kind of fiber it consists of...

For example.. i east quest bars with 18g of fiber (most of your days worth ~60%).. but it's prebiotic fiber.. it causes no bloating or abdominal pains.
  • sorasky92
    sorasky92 Posts: 1
    Options
    I have experienced the same thing as many other members have stated with Fiber One bars. Whenever I would eat one, my stomach would hurt so bad I couldn't move or breathe. It was an awful experience until I figured out what was causing it.

Fiber One bars would upset my stomach and expand it by gargantuan proportions. It seriously looked like I was pregnant; that is how far out my stomach would extend. It would only subside later in the day or until after I slept it off through the night. After some research, I found that many people were having this or similar issues with these bars as well. I definitely know that the "high" amount of fiber in one serving was partially to blame as I am someone who doesn't have a lot of fiber in my diet. However, I know this is not the only reason, though I don't know exactly what else is in them to create this experience. The reason why I say this is that I can eat the Kellogg's Fiber Plus bars (has more fiber than the Fiber One bars I was eating) with absolutely no problems, along with the Fiber One brownies and Fiber One cereal. These also have higher amounts of fiber, but none of these have caused the same problem as the Fiber One bars. Some actually have higher amounts of fiber than the bars that were causing the problems! (I should also make it apparent that I was eating the 90 calorie bars, with only the 20% daily fiber value; not the regular ones with 35%)

I don't know what else could be in the bars that could cause this, but there obviously must be something! Or it is completely in my head, which I wouldn't put far past myself. :)
  • misty0413
    misty0413 Posts: 212
    Options
    I never get gas with them or toilet issues. If I eat one at work everyone is like omg how can you eat that they bother me. well not me. I think they are delicious, wish they had some protien in them.
  • thatTOPSlady
    thatTOPSlady Posts: 199
    Options
    I eat them a lot and your body WILL adjust.

Someone suggested reducing your fiber from other sources. I 100% DISAGREE with that. When you are trying to lose weight, don't cut back on your fiber. ever.

I also eat Kashi granola bars (mocha is my favorite, but it is hard to find). They are actually a bit more natural and not gas makers :)
  • JensGurl
    Options
    The kelloggs fiber bars tear my stomach up SO bad but Ive heard a few people say just stick with it and it will subside and even go away completely after a while. Has anyone else stuck it out and noticed it get better on their stomach?? If I have hope this eventually wont be an everyday issue, Ill just wait it out til my body gets used to it...
  • samlankford
    Options
    I have the fiber one brownies but I tend to stay away because of the sugar content.. I will do a "kind" granola bar instead... I don't fart when I have the brownies but remember the bars making my butt talk a bit :-)
  • jharb2
    jharb2 Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    Can't eat them. Tear my stomach up!! I think its the Chicory Root Extract - thats all I can see different in them than others. Not worth it!