Should I just focus on cardio?

Options
Allow me to preface this by saying that I know strength training is critical to building a healthier body, but my main goal is to drop pounds, and just about everything I've read about getting serious about weight loss seems to favor cardio over strength. I know that women can't bulk up with basic strength exercises, but I am worried that adding strength at this point will impede my weight loss, if that makes sense. Is it okay to just forgo strength until I reach a point where I'm comfortable doing strength exercises?

Replies

• Venturin
    Venturin Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    Absolutely. Do things you love and get your heart pumping some and you will be fine
  • norabeth
    norabeth Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • BeautyFromPain
    BeautyFromPain Posts: 4,952 Member
    Options
    Well it depends... do you care more about the number on the scale or the way you look?
  • GAsoulstar
    GAsoulstar Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I recommend you lose the amount of weight you have set as a goal and then slowly start you strength training. I feel the same way you feel about strength training.
  • chattipatty2
    chattipatty2 Posts: 376 Member
    Options
    bump!
  • LiveforChange
    LiveforChange Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    I think you should at first its great make you sweat alot and it helps trust me . I would also tell that zumba helped me alot in many different ways
  • katemme
    katemme Posts: 191
    Options
    Well it depends... do you care more about the number on the scale or the way you look?

If you focus on running, your body can learn to tap into fat storage.
  • Charlayray
    Charlayray Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    From what I learned, you should probably do some cardio for about 2 months. Once you drop a few pounds ( I don't know your over all weight loss goal) then get into some strength. Now people usually think that when doing strength, you have to do super heay weights. You don't have to. You can do low weight, higher reps. That burns many calories and can really help burn the fat. So when you are ready, do that, that way you won't bulk up.
  • domgirl85
    domgirl85 Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    I found strength workouts that are fast paced. I'm always moving so it's like cardio. I lost weight about 6 years ago and I didn't at strength for a longtime. The downfall was that I wasn't toned. Depending on how much weight you want to lose, you could end up with saggy skin. I'd try to find fun/"moving" strength routines. I use Fitness Magazine but workout DVDs are helpful too :)
  • fiveohmike
    fiveohmike Posts: 1,297 Member
    Options

If you focus on running, your body can learn to tap into fat storage.

Huh?

If you focus on burning more calories than you body takes in, regardless of the type of exercise, at a healthy calorie deficit your body will tap into fat storage. Running is pretty harsh on heavier people as well. You will burn roughly the same calories over 1 mile walking vs running. Running just gets you done faster.
  • aspen_matthews
    Options
    Strength training increases your metabolism to help you burn more and keep weight off in the long run. Plus, it helps shape that body as the fat falls off :-)
  • getthin4life
    Options
    Excellent point. Gave me something to think about.
  • frootcat
    frootcat Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    I am worried that adding strength at this point will impede my weight loss, if that makes sense. Is is it okay to just forgo strength until I reach a point where I'm comfortable doing strength exercises?
    It may impede *weight* loss, but it wouldn't impede *fat* loss, which is what most of us are really more interested in.

That being said, I think you should do whatever you want, whatever will make you enjoy moving your body and moving toward your goal. When you're bored with that or ready to move on, you will :)
  • BEMND
    BEMND Posts: 33
    Options
    I started a training program for a 5k & using this site 3wks ago. Right now I'm interval "running" 3x a week & staying @ 1200 calories & that seems to be working (so far). I think (when just starting out) any exercise that you enjoy & can stick with is great. I have always thought i hated cardio, but I actually kind of like running. Hope you find what works for you!
  • BeautyFromPain
    BeautyFromPain Posts: 4,952 Member
    Options
    Let me just say here.,,

weights/more muscle mass increases our BMR significantly.

plus would you rather be skinny fat would you?
  • Awkward30
    Awkward30 Posts: 1,927 Member
    Options
    So it depends. Lean mass is hard to build, but when a person gets fat they build some extra lean mass to help lugging around the extra weight. If you dot strength train, you'll probably lose most of that, and maybe more. If you feel you have a large frame and extra mass, you could neglect strength training and lose some, but the problem is that once you lose it, it will take a lot to build it back up. I would probably strength train 2x a week until I was aroun 25% bodyfat and then make an educated decision about what size I want to be and how much muscle I want to keep.

I lost almost 1 lb of muscle for every 3 lb of fat when I was just running, training for a half marathon. I feel that if I had been lifting then and limited muscle loss more, I'd probably be at my goal body fat percent at my current weight. Yes, keeping more muscle will make you look leaner at higher weights. Oh well, less than 10 lb left to go!
  • scribb
    scribb Posts: 3,659 Member
    Options
    I would suggest weights and cardio. If you just do the cardio until you gat to the weight you want, you will start gaining once you start lifting. I think it is better to lift while losing. You may not lose as fast as you want, but you will lose inches.

You can also do a little cardio (20 mions) after the wights which burns a lot.

Good luck.
  • jennismagic
    jennismagic Posts: 243 Member
    Options

Both, but I think I'm more concerned about my weight than how I look, although they go hand in hand. I'm pretty muscular already, or so said the consultant I met at Medifast. I don't look like I weigh what I weigh, and I think that could work in my favor.
  • 2Bgoddess
    2Bgoddess Posts: 1,096 Member
    Options
    i see by your ticker that you have a significant amount to lose. I have been there. my advice is to focus on cardio for now and when you are more comfortable add weights/strength training. I can tell you from experience that attempting things like push ups, crunches, weights, etc. can be very intimidating as well as discouraging. because we already have extra weight that we are carrying around, our muscles and joints are under more strain to begin with. Again, this is just my opinion, as someone who was more than 100 pounds over weight, i struggled and struggled with this. finally i decided to focus on just cardio until I had dropped about 50 pounds. things got a whole lot easier then. Then I started with the sit ups, push ups(from the knee) and crunches, leg lifts, etc.

Can I also tell you, don't leave it TOO long. I just this week, after being stuck at an 88 pound loss, started with a trainer at the gym (my good friend) and discovered that what they say is true, quick weight loss can lead to lost lean muscle mass. my legs are strong from years of carrying the weight, but my arms are like wet noodles and I can barely do 12 reps of bicep curl s with 10 pound weights in each hand. :-( I wanted to go heavier, but instead have to use the barbie weights.

GOOD LUCK!
  • Healthymom207
    Healthymom207 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't just focus on cardio, reason being that you could burn more calories if you built more muscle. You would be burning more calories even when your resting if you incorporate some weight training into your workouts. You don't have to go overboard, just 15 minutes while your watching your favorite TV show....grab some weights and do some bicep curls, tricep curls, squats....stuff like that but do a few sets of them. I did that the other night and my biceps and triceps are sore now. Your body looks better with tone to it too. Hope this helps.