My First Race - Help

Options
I am running my first race ever next Sunday. It is a 10k race. I have been training by running a 3 miler during the week and then a 5 or 6 mile run on the weekend for the last couple of weeks. Do my weight training during the week on top of that too.

What do I do this week to prepare for Sunday? Do I run on Wednesday? 3 miles? What do I eat before the race? Night before? I am pretty lost here but looking forward to race day. What is a good time to shoot for? Under 60 minutes?

Replies

• Venturin
    Venturin Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    If you don't get a good response here I suggest you hit the library. I've been checking out books on running and they've been very helpful. I would think getting one of these books would help you get an answer.

Good luck in the 10K!! I'm building up to be able to run a mile before having to walk a spell, my goal being a 5K.

-V-
  • Becky011
    Becky011 Posts: 384
    Options
    I found this article to be somewhat helpful. It may take you to other informative articles on active.com too:

http://www.active.com/running/Articles/10-Steps-to-a-Successful-10K.htm?cmp=23-42

Good luck!
  • 416runner
    416runner Posts: 159
    Options
    I'd still do your usual 3 miler on Wednesday, and maybe even another 3 miles on Friday, to keep your legs loose and then rest on Saturday. As for eating the night before, you don't need to carb load for a 10k; just eat something that you are familiar with and will sit well on your stomach. Same with the next morning; some simple carbs like a bagel or toast and a banana, something you're used to eating before a run. Just don't try anything new on race day!

As for your time, sub-60 is a great goal. Have you been timing any of your runs so far?

Enjoy your race!