Birthdays and sugar addiction

Options
Ugh, it's my daughters birthday week. Kids party today, family party Tuesday. Cake everywhere! I am not the type of person who can eat just a little cake. I am a sugar addict and no longer eat grains, so I simply can't eat it. And it is SO hard. I got through 1 party/cake today, although the left over cake is still in the kitchen taunting me. One more party on Tuesday, and I have to bake that cake and whip up my homemade frosting as well. This is the first birthday since I gave up grains and sugar. I know how much better I feel without it, but it is so hard. Can anyone else relate?

Replies

• ColtyHan
    ColtyHan Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I don't think I could keep the leftover cake in the house. I don't have that much willpower. I'd have to give it away or throw it out.
  • skinnylion
    skinnylion Posts: 213
    Options
    I am addicted to any food with the word "cake" in it. Cupcakes, coffee cake, pancakes, regular birthday cake... you name it! So I know the feeling. My advice would be to just eat a generous slice and try to watch your intake for the rest of the day. Feeding the inner monster sometimes gets the cravings out of the way so you can feel more normal and happy!

Plus, it's okay to go over your calories every once in a while. Don't sweat the small stuff.
  • losingthehealthyway
    Options
    I totally understand your frustration. My sweet tooth is enormous, so it is really hard for me to eat just one serving of any dessert. If you feel that it's something you simply cannot eat, give the cake away! Send people home with slices of it, pack half-servings of it up in your kids' lunches as little desserts, take it to work with you to give away (or get friends to take it to work with them), etc. I tend to avoid just throwing food away, but if you can do that without rummaging through the garbage (like i would) then good. :tongue:

If you decide that cake is okay sometimes, control your portions by reserving one slice for yourself to eat AFTER all the other slices have been given away. I do this and it works like a charm, since it keeps me from feeling deprived while also knowing that I can't go on an all-out binge.

It's okay to enjoy yourself! Best of luck!
  • Smarkowitz
    Options
    I completely understand! I too am a sugar addict, and birthday's /any event involving sweets (especially cake!) are very hard to resist. I am of the mindset of not depriving myself of something that makes me happy...and cake...well, cake makes me happyx10! And trust me I can eat it x10 too! I always have a piece, but now I limit myself to just one. Having it around is like having a poking finger at my stomach every minute I realize there isn't a slice in front of me! Most of all when I have to make a cake (which will happen next weekend). Also, if your family is anything like mine, if you brought it you take it. I normally end up giving the leftovers to my very thankful and hungry coworkers. My point to all this is that it is okay to indulge every once in a while, and if cake is no longer an option for you then you need to find something else that will satisfy that craving for you and make you feel like you have "indulged". There is always a way to feel happy and fulfilled without feeling like you've given up on your diet, or without feeling deprived. I suggest looking up dessert-like foods you can eat while cake is around.

Much luck!
  • mmarcy7
    mmarcy7 Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    I had some dark chocolate and that seems to have helped. I just can't do the cake thing because I no longer eat wheat/grains. And that is something I just don't feel I can't cheat on, for health reasons. And I did eat a clump of frosting from the edge of the pan, frosting was always my favorite part anyway.
  • Simone_King
    Simone_King Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    Yes I can, but for me it's Dr Pepper or diet Pepper.

Though, be strong and if you need be get rid of it.
  • swat1948
    swat1948 Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    I just recently had a birthday and they wanted to get a cake. I said absolutely not! LOL