ladies who have done new rules of lifting for women...

Options
hesn92
hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
What are/were your experiences? Did you like it? I've started to get into lifting weights at the gym and so far I've just done some basic things like squats, bench press, rows, deadlifts, etc. I have heard many great things about New Rules but the reason I wasn't planning on doing it was because (and this is going to sound really stupid) push ups are involved and I'm too embarrassed to do push ups at the gym because I can only do maybe 2 or 3 lol. But I should just get over that. What do you guys think? Do you like the NROL program?

Replies

• pupcamper
    pupcamper Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    I would love to know too!!
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options
    I've only done phase 1 of New Rules. It gets pretty complicated after that and changes around too much for my liking. I like StrongLifts 5x5 better and it doesn't have pushups.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/560459-stronglifts-5x5-summary
  • larene411
    larene411 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I've been reading and absorbing New Rules of Lifting for Women, and did my first workout last night actually. I think the authors do a great job of explaining each exercise and each workout stage as you progress, and if you take it piece by piece, it is not too difficult to sort out. I basically marked the pages for the exercises I was supposed to do THAT day, and took it to the gym with me, to follow the directions and try to get form right.

With regards to the push-ups, there are standard push-ups as well as four modified push-up variations in the book, pages 188-193. Start out with the easiest variation. If you can do a full set no problem, try the next level on your next set. Find the one where you are able to complete the set but are working hard to do it. (Even I could do two full sets of the 60-degree one!) Don't be embarassed, you're not there to impress them. You are at the gym for you :) You can do it!
  • MamaWannaRun
    MamaWannaRun Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    I LOVE it. I am almost thru Stage 1. I know I am stronger. I have lost inches and body fat.
    As for the push-ups, you have the option of doing them on risers, etc. so don't sweat that..

if you really want to do push ups (they make arms look great and are great for your core), do a search for 100 pushups on the web, there is some great and simple programs out there!

IMHO...
  • mbts08
    mbts08 Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    Just started Stage 5 tonight and I love it. An instructor who I took kick boxing class with just told me tonight that I look "tiny" and what ever I am doing is working. Love the results so far.

I could not do 1 regular push up when I started, now I can do 8! Still hate push ups! :devil:

I say go for it!!
  • mes1119
    mes1119 Posts: 1,082 Member
    Options
    I did it for a couple weeks, never really got into it tho. I don't think it was the program though, I just noticed my body expanding from the lifting. I build muscle easily or something because I was gaining inches (muscle or water weight I guess) and the fat was just staying there. Lifting makes me absolutely ravenous too so it made it really difficult for me to stick to good eating. I'll probably start back up once I lose a little bit more fat.

I actually found the program to be a little easy too... I can already do at least 15 pushups without stopping and chin ups and such. I'm pretty strong for a girl thanks to swimming competitively in the past. I used to lift back in the day as well.

The program itself was good IMO, just not a fit for my goals at this time.
  • delonda1
    delonda1 Posts: 525 Member
    Options
    Im doing NROLFW and on stage 1 still....however I really like it and honestly before it could prob do only 5 straight pushups and now i can get through the 12 even though im dying at the end.
  • DamaliAsabyiKioni
    DamaliAsabyiKioni Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    bump.. plan to start lifting soon
  • nz_deevaa
    nz_deevaa Posts: 12,209 Member
    Options
    I've only done phase 1 of New Rules. It gets pretty complicated after that and changes around too much for my liking. I like StrongLifts 5x5 better and it doesn't have pushups.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/560459-stronglifts-5x5-summary

This is my experience also, I had a knee injury, so couldn't do all of the moves in phase 2 so I switched to StrongLifts.

(I still do push-ups and planks on my 'off days').

I like the fact that having the StrongLifts App pushes you to try heavier weights, as I tend to 'stick' where I know I can do it, rather than pushing.
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    i've done it all the way through a few years ago. at the time i wasnt trying to lose weight so i didnt make any changes to my diet.

you will see lots of increase in your strength!

i started it again a second time a few months ago and stopped after stage 3 because i want to do something else. honestly the one thing i hate about is that stage 1 is really short but then stages 2-5 get really long. also many of the exercises in stages 2 and 3 (which get repeated in 3 &4) i hate because if i want to do balance stuff i'll take yoga. when i'm in a weight room i want to get stronger :laugh:
  • woodsygirl
    woodsygirl Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    I've been doing it for 3 months and I love it. I love just rubbing my arm muscles now and feeling the muscle that i've made.

I am not great at push-ups, though I can do 2 chin-ups. I think everyone has their weak and strong points, just don't fixate on them but keep on improving yourself.
  • Debbiedebbiey
    Debbiedebbiey Posts: 824 Member
    Options
    What pound weights does it start you out at? Like bicep curls or overhead presses? Just wondering if I have what I need to start?
  • jonbobfrog
    jonbobfrog Posts: 294
    Options
    I like it. I just finished Stage 1 and am looking forward to moving on to Stage 2. I like how it breaks it down step. by. step.

I totally hated the log sheet they gave you, though. So generic. It took forever, but I'm totally anal/OCD, so I made excel spreadsheets of all the stages to make it soooo much easier.

Message me your email and I can pass them along if you'd like. :o)
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    What pound weights does it start you out at? Like bicep curls or overhead presses? Just wondering if I have what I need to start?

no the principle is to do compound movements since those will work more muscle groups and do more to help you develop strength than doing isolation movements. keep in mind that first and foremost this is a strength building program so you should always be pushing weights that will help you increase your strength. as such, there is no starting weight. you start out with with whatever you start out with and the next time you do a little bit more.

depending on where you are strength wise you will need dumbbells, a barbell with plates, a weight bench and a squat rack. the squat rack is for when you get to the stage where you can squat more weight than you safely get over your head