Cabbage

Options
Hairhacker
Hairhacker Posts: 174 Member
What are some of your favorite ways to cook cabbage. Just looking for methods and or recipes or any hints lol. My dad has a bunch ready from his garden and wanna try some different ways. Thanks!

Replies

• Cmandy67
    Cmandy67 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    Raw!
    Spinach and cabbage salad, my fave.
  • suzu_2
    suzu_2 Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    Try This - I am adapting from a higher fat and higher calorie version, but I think this will be just as yummy. I was the girl that always hated cooked cabbage, but the high cal version is one of my favirite dishes.

1 head of cabage rough chopped into bite-sized pieces.
    1 large onion, medium dice
    3 slices of turkey bacon (this is where it departs from the original)
    2 Granny Smith apples - peel, core,and chop into bite-sized chunks
    apple juice -1/2 cup
    brown sugar - 1 Tbs

Non-stick spray - brown the turkey bacon. Remove from pan when done and reserve.
    Non-stick spray + small amt olive oil to caramalize the onions.
    Add apples and cabage
    Crumble in the bacon
    Add 1/2 cup apple juice + 1 Tbs brown sugar + 1 tsp salt
    Cover and cook ONLY until wilted. cabage should still have some body and crunch.
    Taste and adjust flavors - 1 Tbs apple cider vinegar can help if you need more acid.
  • missourimanwphc
    Options
    I wish this site had a good resource for diet meals
  • YazmineTheLost
    Options
    Cabbage and garlic soup

one head of cabbage, chopped into 50 cent size chunks
    one low salt low fat sausage (the long ones that look like a horse hoof), cross cut into rounds
    7-10 cloves of garlic (to taste), chopped small/diced
    one can of low salt Italian flavored tomatoes, with juice
    one lean steak or chicken breast, cooked and thin sliced/shredded
    3-5 potatoes, cut into small chunks
    one can low salt broth (beef if steak, chicken if chicken)
    spices to taste (onion powder, salt, pepper, ect)

Layer in pot in the order given, add 6 ish cups of water (or until all is covered)
    now pretend you are making stew, and flavor to your liking. boil in a med/large pot until the potatoes are soft
    eat with crunchy french bread
  • SilentJo
    SilentJo Posts: 66
    Options
    I like to make cabbage in tomato sauce. I chop up a head of cabbage and saute it off in a large pot/dutch oven with a little butter, stirring often to keep the bottom leaves from scorching then when it is mostly softened (sometimes I like to keep it a little chewy) I take out the cabbage (try to leave any liquid that formed in the pot in there), then add a 8oz can of tomato sauce and flavor with your favorite spices (I usually go garlic powder, basil, oregano, thyme) and let the sauce heat through, and then add the cabbage back in and mix until it's all coated in sauce. Here's a copy of my recipe page for it (I added a can of diced tomatoes the last time I made this, but that's really optional, of course you can add anything you like to this, it's all a matter of taste!)

cabbagentomatosauce.jpg

Another recipe I love to make is Healing Cabbage Soup http://allrecipes.com/recipe/healing-cabbage-soup/ I normally double the recipe and have a lot left to freeze. I honestly wish I had some now since I've been under the weather the past few days! Hope you find some recipes that appeal to you, I'll have to try that cabbage and garlic soup recipe myself soon, enjoy! :)

jo
  • Meg_78
    Meg_78 Posts: 998 Member
    Options
    Cabbage salad : finely sliced cabbage and onion in a home made vinaigrette.

Wilted cabbage : wash the cabbage and finely shred it in a pan melt a teaspoon of bitter add the damp cabbage and put on the lid and let it wilt for a few min. Season with S&P. Serve as a side vegetable.

Cabbage with Bacon : take some bacon or cubed ham, fry up in a pot, add washed shredded cabbage and let the cabbage wilt for a few min. Season and serve as a side.
  • Hairhacker
    Hairhacker Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much guys! These sound great!
  • JoDeeD
    JoDeeD Posts: 391
    Options
    We make cole slaw with no mayo. Mix finely chopped cabbage and red onion. Season with salt, pepper, and italian seasoning. Mix in olive oil and red wine vinegar. My kids love it and get their veggies.
  • PhyllisAnnM
    Options
    I could make a meal out of cabbage alone, love it! Here's a couple of quick and easy ways I prepare it:

!. Cook whole head of cabbage and an onion (season to taste) together in a little olive oil until tender. Bacon grease is really good but not very healthy. I prepare 2 packaged Cups of Ramen Noodles according to the directions on package. (my favorite is spicey chicken) They are extremely high in sodium so I drain all of the liquid off one of the Cups of Noodles and mix both Cups together with my noodles. This is good both cold or hot. You can really throw any other veggies into the mix depending on what you like and what is in season.

2. My husband likes cabbage, onion and tomatoes baked in oven with cubed or sliced turkey kielbasa. You just stir in a little low sodium chicken broth and 1/4 cup parmesan cheese, season to taste
    in summer, I will sometimes just cook this one on the stove in large skillet or dutch oven.
  • kstrunk1
    kstrunk1 Posts: 462 Member
    Options
    Found this recipe on pinterest.com.
    YUMMY!! :)

Roasted Cabbage with Lemon
    Makes 3-4 servings as a side dish, recipe adapted slightly from Roasted Cabbage with Lemon at Eat Repeat.

1 medium-sized head of green cabbage
    2 T olive oil
    2-3 T fresh squeezed lemon juice (I used 2 T for the cabbage in these photos, but next time I'd use even more lemon)
    generous amount of sea salt and fresh ground black pepper
    lemon slices, for serving cabbage (optional)

Preheat oven to 450F/232C. Spray a roasting pan with non-stick spray or olive oil.

Cut the head of cabbage into 8 same-size wedges, cutting through the core and stem end. Then carefully trim the core strip and stem from each wedge and arrange wedges in a single layer on the roasting pan (leave some space around them as much as you can.)

Whisk together the olive oil and lemon juice (use the larger amount of lemon juice if you like a lot of lemon like I do.) Then use a pastry brush to brush the top sides of each cabbage wedge with the mixture and season generously with salt and fresh ground black pepper. Turn cabbage wedges carefully, then brush the second side with the olive oil/lemon juice mixture and season with salt and pepper.

Roast cabbage for about 15 minutes, or until the side touching the pan is nicely browned. Then turn each wedge carefully and roast 10-15 minutes more, until the cabbage is nicely browned and cooked through with a bit of chewiness remaining. Serve hot, with additional lemon slices to squeeze lemon juice on at the table if desired.
  • BarbraP44
    BarbraP44 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I wish this site had a good resource for diet meals

Just google low calorie meals. I have a fantastic recipe book, Better Homes and Gardens New Dieters Cookbook, which has a lot of the calorie counts right here on MFP. http://www.myfitnesspal.com/nutrition-facts-calories/better-homes-and-gardens-new-dieters-cookbook