Lunch Ideas

Options
Jaulen
Jaulen Posts: 468 Member
Good evening all!

I'm getting ready to head to the store in a little bit and am looking for ideas on what to keep at my office at work for lunch.

I have access to a microwave, and have a mini fridge sitting under my desk, and whole cupboard to store non-perishables in.

Right now I usually keep cottage cheese, string cheese, yogurt, carrots and cherry tomatoes in the fridge.

I'm looking for ideas on stuff I can keep around for when I forget to bring a lunch with me (usually days we don't have leftovers).
Right now I'll eat canned tuna, sardines, or herring with crackers, cottage cheese, pickles, and finger veggies.

Kind of boring.

Would love more ideas on easy stuff to keep in the office.

Thanks!

Replies

• gassbag
    gassbag Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I'm surprised no one has replied yet!

I grab the large bags of pre-cut salad usually a coleslaw, crunchy asian or spinach mix. Sometimes I add in tomatoes or cucumber/celery.

Then I add one of the following: a cheese slice (cut into squares) or a small square of feta cheese, a small handful of ham, small portion of chicken or some tinned beans of some description. I usually also add a splash of low carb, low calorie dressing to spice things up. When that gets boring I tend to turn it into a wrap (in Oz we have the brand 'Mountain Bread' which is very light and about a 1:1 ratio with slices of bread).

Another good quick option is a tin of flavoured tuna with a small microwave single serve brown rice with/without a handful of lettuce.

Another good back up option for morning/afternoon tea is small apples (last forever in the fridge) and low sugar/low fat yoghurts (approx 70 calories each). If I've already had afternoon tea but am feeling peckish I try to have a green tea on hand which usually keeps me going until dinner.
  • Kalynx
    Kalynx Posts: 707 Member
    Options
    lucky you - your own mini fridge!! free of workplace food smells and rotton ickiness!!

I suggest LEFTOVERS!!! a box of frozen fruit treats..a few frozen containers of your favorite homemade meals...

in my desk I always have fiber bars (very filling!) sodium free rice cakes, a jar of 50/fifty peanut butter and a container of sprinkle grated parmasan cheese (great on salad, pastas and baby carots!) work husband aka pod mate always brings in fresh bananas ..so the PB works great - peel one and softly slice it all they way lengthwise with a spoon..then spread in a spoonful of peanut butter...very filling, low soduim healthy treat in a pinch!!

also got into the habit of storing dried fruits in desk drawer. but best tip...even if you arent hungry take the time to prepare one evening or on the weekend something easy to reheat for lunches..my all time favorite ..super easy and makes everyone drool that sees..is slicing a chicken breast in half and 'stuffing' with cheddar and frozen chopped broccoli. bake it for 20-30 min depending on size of breast and put in serving size containers.
  • KrisyKat
    KrisyKat Posts: 749 Member
    Options
    1) Make your own trail mix using your favorite nuts, dried berries, chocolate chips, cereal, etc.

2) Sugar snap peas, edamame, artichokes, and/or salad stuff.

3) Luna Bars :wink:

4) Popcorn and arare (Japanese rice crackers...the spicy kind, preferably) :love: