Eat healthy or count calories?

Options
I go back and forth between eating healthy foods, and eating not so healthy foods but count calories. Does it make a difference when your trying to loose weight?

Replies

• lbaileyjohannsen
    lbaileyjohannsen Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    I would say that even lots of healthy foods contain lots of calories, and not so healthy foods obviously don't always contain the nutrients your body needs. It seems to me that counting calories, at least until you get an idea of how many calories are in food you eat a lot, is probably the best bet of actually having a concrete method of losing weight. You burn more calories than you take in in a day, you burn fat. I've tried the 'eat healthy' method where I wasn't meticulous with calories, and I don't think I really lost any weight that way. It's good to keep track.

ETA: I'm not saying don't eat healthfully! You should try to combine the two and keep track of your healthy eating.
  • dreamsofsomeday
    dreamsofsomeday Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I try to eat healthy foods but count my calories strictly. It seems to work for me.
  • dia77
    dia77 Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    yes , it does make a difference. I think it is about nutrition when I try to get to my healthy weight. . I am actaully doing it both:: eat healthy and count calories. the ocasional chocolate or ice cream doesn't' count:)
    However, what I noticed long time ago is that eating healthy gets me more energy, I am not hungry between meals and I mantain/lose weight.
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    Why is it one or the other? Eating healthy AND counting calories is the way to be successful. Of course, by successful I mean healthfully losing weight. If you want to lose weight, you count calories, if you want to be healthy, you eat healthy. I want both!
  • tsh0ck
    tsh0ck Posts: 1,970 Member
    Options
    the only unhealthy food is one eaten to excess.
  • quietlywinning
    quietlywinning Posts: 889 Member
    Options
    Both at once with the occasional indulgences to keep me enjoying it.
  • spigenerb
    spigenerb Posts: 29
    Options
    It does make a difference. If you are trying to gain muscle and don't eat enough protein you won't gain muscle. If its all processed sugars it can slow down your weight loss.

I will say this though, if you are above 15% (for guys) or 25% (for women) body fat then you can make progress just by counting. But I don't know anyone who just counts calories and can get below that without making sure you are eating healthy too.
  • gatecityradio
    Options
    I pretty much eat whatever I want, as long as I don't go over on my calories. So...idk.
  • monicasuze
    monicasuze Posts: 37
    Options
    Mmm.. I count calories and eat whatever I want. :D
  • turtledreamer
    turtledreamer Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I count calories because it works for me, but I find that while counting calories, I make healthier choices because I am not willing to "sacrifice" my calories on junk or unhealthy choices.
    For me, this is motivation and invitational to make the right choice in every situation. If I choose to use calories for unhealthy choices, I definitely log it to remind myself of the cost associated with my choice.

But this method works for me, maybe not for others. :smile:
  • Creativeballance
    Options
    I usually use green veggies (which are low in calories) to make me feel full when I'm almost out of calories for the day. Also, an occasional splurge with a whole box of cookes to "reset your adjusted metabolism" is perfectly acceptable.
  • sheri02r
    sheri02r Posts: 486 Member
    Options
    Both.
  • darkangel74
    darkangel74 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I would mix both and see if my body will be responding with weight loss/strength. Than I`d try to adjust depending on results, but one thing for sure I would not go straight one or another way. Same as few others said you need both nutrition and calories.
  • Jotell
    Jotell Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    I've been doing both, but lately haven't lost anything. So I'm eating a little more (I exercise 6 days a week for 1 hr a day). Turns out I wasn't eating enough! But, I know that watching my calories and eating healthy makes me feel better and more energetic then on the days when I don't eat healthy.
  • spigenerb
    spigenerb Posts: 29
    Options
    I've been doing both, but lately haven't lost anything. So I'm eating a little more (I exercise 6 days a week for 1 hr a day). Turns out I wasn't eating enough! But, I know that watching my calories and eating healthy makes me feel better and more energetic then on the days when I don't eat healthy.

You got it! I would go so far as to say that most people don't eat enough. I've designed meal plans for people and they are amazed at how much they eat on them but they start losing weight.
  • pamelad77
    pamelad77 Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    Both
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    Counting calories. Google "twinkie diet " and you'll find out about a nutritionist that lost 27 pounds eating nothing but snack cakes. His vitals improved as well. Now, ot would be hard to gain muscle that way. And you probably increase your risk for some malady down the road. But the answer to your question about weight loss is calories calories calories. If you ate 1500 calories of taco bell per day you would lose weight compared to eating 2500 calories of lean fish and vegetables per day. But we'll have to address your constipation another day.
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    Counting calories. Google "twinkie diet " and you'll find out about a nutritionist that lost 27 pounds eating nothing but snack cakes. His vitals improved as well. Now, ot would be hard to gain muscle that way. And you probably increase your risk for some malady down the road. But the answer to your question about weight loss is calories calories calories. If you ate 1500 calories of taco bell per day you would lose weight compared to eating 2500 calories of lean fish and vegetables per day. But we'll have to address your constipation another day.

He ate more than just twinkies- I haven't looked at this in a while but I'm pretty sure he supplemented protein shakes and some form of veg.
  • suziecue66
    suziecue66 Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options

He ate more than just twinkies- I haven't looked at this in a while but I'm pretty sure he supplemented protein shakes and some form of veg.
    Yes he did.
  • Debbe2
    Debbe2 Posts: 2,071 Member
    Options
    I eat what I want and I count calories and watch macros. It's teaching me on what eating healthy and balance is all about.