Why is the word "fat" a bad word?

Options
2»

Replies

• grimm1974
    grimm1974 Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    Its not the word. It is the intent behind the word.
  • NotThePest
    NotThePest Posts: 164
    Options
    I grew up in a household were everyone was obese and I was skinny, and I was tormented for not being like them. That's all I knew so "fat" was normal. I was shammed by being called skinny and as a child and even a teenager, I resented that word, skinny. I've grown up now and understand the content and context of the bullying.

Because a childhood name, word, treatment is offensive to you doesn't mean you stay in that same place. In all your getting, get understanding and wisdom.
  • Bahet
    Bahet Posts: 1,254 Member
    Options
    I'm fat. If I'm discussing weight and food with a friend and they say "You're doing good but keep it up you still have a long way to go. " or "Hey, you might want to watch what you're eating. I've noticed you're getting fat." I agree with them and have no problem with their comments. If I run into someone I haven't seen in years and they say "OMG!!! You got FAT!!" that is not acceptable. Like most everything else - it's all about the context.

Also, if someone says or insinuates that just because I'm fat that means I'm ugly, unattractive, not sexy, lazy, and unhealthy that's not only rude but just plain wrong. I joke with my doctor that I'm as healthy as a race horse. Unfortunately I weigh as much as one too. :laugh: (Not even close to weighing that much but she gets the joke.)