genuine thyroid sufferer seeks straight talking pals

Options
2»

Replies

• kimmieyr1
    kimmieyr1 Posts: 189
    Options
    I have dealt with hypothyroidism almost my whole life. I was diagnosed at 11 years old and have struggled with weight since then. I eat everything - processed, soy and everything else. I know if I watch my calories and exercise I lose and can maintain a healthy weight. My problem is finding a way to stay on the right path. Add me if you would like.
  • cycleholic
    cycleholic Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    Avoid soy at all costs!!!

Why? I'm also vegetarian and wondering...
    Thanks!

There's evidence that soy isoflavones can negatively effect thyroid function. It's particularly true if there's any chance you're not getting enough iodine (which obviously is exceptionally risky for dieters avoiding salt!). I don't think there's enough conclusive evidence to say to avoid soy completely, but there's enough that have convinced me it would be worth limiting soy. Supposedly in its natural form (edamame) or fermented forms (miso or tempeh) it's less likely to affect your thyroid, so I've pretty much eliminated tofu and use tempeh instead....but there's no way I'm going to completely swear off veggie burgers or veggie hot dogs without more convincing evidence- they're just too damn convenient! But there's also quorn brand products you can substitute, which use egg protein instead of soy.

Thanks! I've been doing ok using soy. I love quorn products as well! These products are delicious and convenient.

I'm amazed that you all get up in the middle of the night to take your meds! I just take mine as soon as my feet hit the floor in the morning.:wink:
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    I'm amazed that you all get up in the middle of the night to take your meds! I just take mine as soon as my feet hit the floor in the morning.:wink:

I wouldn't say I "get up"- I wake up to an alarm on my cell phone and take it from my nightstand, and fall back asleep immediately. I have to keep it in one of those daily pill minder things because 99% of the time I can't remember if I did actually do it once I actually wake up.
  • PHS7
    PHS7 Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    I was diagnosed with Graves Disease a few years ago. After wasting a year trying to regulate my thyroid with meds I opted to go the radioactive route and kill off the sucker. So, meds for the rest of my life.

Now, I've been trying to lose weight and get in better shape. Exercise & diet are the best ways. But when I say diet, I don't mean that "I'm on a diet". I am talking about what I eat, portions, and keeping around 1900 calories a day.

There are a lot of people here to support you that are going through the same things. Don't get frustrated, don't lose focus, and don't beat yourself up. You're stronger than you think!
  • kstrunk1
    kstrunk1 Posts: 462 Member
    Options
    I found out 8 years ago, when I was 35, that I was severely hypothyroid. I am on Synthroid which helps some. Weight has been an issue for me my entire adult life but it has gotten really out of hand since I was diagnosed. I've discovered that anything processed doesn't work for me nor do breads, pastas, rice, etc. I get my carbs from fruits and veggies now and feel so much better - not bloated, etc.

I have a TON more to lose but am on my way! :)
  • kaotik26
    kaotik26 Posts: 590 Member
    Options
    I have Hashimoto's. Started medication at 190 now I'm at 175 but kinda stuck!! You can add me!
  • FretheMJsmokingcannibal
    Options
    Congenital here. I'm on synthroid. I try to not eat food after 6 or 7 pm.
  • adreal
    adreal Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    Oh Mary! This is a struggle I am facing everyday!! I have lost about 49 pounds so far with an underactive thyroid. I am going this week to get my levels checked because everything is out of rhythm right now. Weight loss can happen it just takes time. :) Feel free to add me :)
  • MarthaAnn8186
    MarthaAnn8186 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Hi I am hypo and have been diagnosed with Hoshimoto's thyrioditis. Plus I am 55 and everything has slowed down after the change. And this past winter I injured my lower back, and hip. I was told about this site and it has helped. I just watch calorie's and try to walk. Add me if you like.
  • rosemary48640
    Options
    I also have an inactive thyroid and I have found out that exercising on my stationary bike is helping me lose weight. I ride it for 30 minutes 3 times a week. I also found out that if I cut out potatoes, that helps too. Add me to your friends list if you want to.

Rosemary
  • KarenShaft
    Options
    I have hypothyroidism - taking 112mcg levothroxin daily - diagnosed 10 years ago. I lost 40# on another popular weight loss program, but our family situation has changed and I couldn't fit the program into our budget. When a friend posted her losses on Facebook from this free site, I signed up today! I know I can continue with my weight loss (and maintenance) journey. You can do it!