calories for rice

nursegirl79
nursegirl79 Posts: 146 Member
edited September 19 in Health and Weight Loss
I'm a big white rice eater...I know, I probably shouldn't be eating it at all. I grew up eating it because my mother is Japanese. Anyways, I refuse to stop eating it!! ME STUBBORN!:noway:

Does anyone know how to measure a serving size? I have a digital food scale and measuring cups. Isn't 8oz. 1 cup? But 1 cup of rice isn't 8 ounces is it? Which way should I measure it. Anyone know?

Thanks

Replies

• astridfeline
    astridfeline Posts: 1,200 Member
    Hi, it's a bit tricky.
    Liquid 8 ounces isn't the same as dry weight ounces. But, I usually use a one cup dry measure to measure out cooked rice into portions. Because the calories in rice will vary depending on how much water is in it once cooked, you could weigh the dry weight (for example, 200grams dry rice might be--(4) 50g servings) and once it's cooked divide it into 4 portions. Then use the calories for 50g of dry rice.

So this sounds really confusing I hope it helped you decide :laugh: :laugh: But in case you're interested, here is a link to an awesome conversion calculator. http://www.curezone.com/conversions.asp
  • czewwhat
    czewwhat Posts: 8,715
    I'm a big white rice eater...I know, I probably shouldn't be eating it at all. I grew up eating it because my mother is Japanese. Anyways, I refuse to stop eating it!! ME STUBBORN!:noway:

Does anyone know how to measure a serving size? I have a digital food scale and measuring cups. Isn't 8oz. 1 cup? But 1 cup of rice isn't 8 ounces is it? Which way should I measure it. Anyone know?

Thanks

Measuring cup! I make it easy on myself, use an 8 0unce ladle and scrape it off even with the rice paddle! no need for measuring cups and spoons etc. Steamed rice (from a rice pot) is not all that bad as long as you measure properly! You can rinse the rice before steaming it and greatly reduce the Gluten, sugar coating too. It tastes no different. Chinese Hawaiian hubby, gotta do the rice!
  • nursegirl79
    nursegirl79 Posts: 146 Member

Thanks

Measuring cup! I make it easy on myself, use an 8 0unce ladle and scrape it off even with the rice paddle! no need for measuring cups and spoons etc. Steamed rice (from a rice pot) is not all that bad as long as you measure properly! You can rinse the rice before steaming it and greatly reduce the Gluten, sugar coating too. It tastes no different. Chinese Hawaiian hubby, gotta do the rice!

YUP YUP!!! I love my rice!:tongue:

Thanks ya'll...Sounds like I should just use an 8oz dry measuring cup.
  • I love rice too! I measure dry (before cooking) & cool single portions. If you use a rice cooker & make multiple servings you could measure it dry then again after cooking to compare the difference (eg 2 cups dry equals 3 cups cooked). That would give you a pretty good estimate
This discussion has been closed.