Fitbit and Hrm

Anyone using both the Fitbit &Hrm at the same time? I have the Fitbit, which I love, but been hearing from people that I should invest in a Hrm as well. Why have both if they work the same?

Replies

• TrishaGuy
    TrishaGuy Posts: 63
    Hey sweet lady :) you know I have both ....I love my fitbit for the sheer reason it motivates me more than anything else....you know trying to meet my goals and compete with friends (not so much now with my knee....but before). Alot of things I do fitbit and the HRM are pretty close (for me)but things like elliptical and stationary bike fit bit does not really know how hard YOUR body is workig so I use my HRM to log those types of burns ( MFP is a little high on the burns according to my HRM). It is just another tool if you want an exact measure. IMHO I think it is unconfortable to wear and would rather not but I am not really looking for an exact measurement....as long as I have a ball park and my numbers are going down....I could take it or leave it. It was nice to be able to see if I was staying in my target fat burn zone for walking....before I got it I was not walking fast enough to be in my zone. I had to pick up my pace and keep it at a 15 min mile to stay in my zone (4.0 mph). So I guess it is just according to how exact you want to be....hope your ear is feeling better soon :)
  • cshelto44
    cshelto44 Posts: 26 Member
    Hey sweetie, how are you feeling? Hope you are resting that knee. Yeah, I was wondering about that myself, people have been telling me to buy one but if it does the same as the fitbit, why waste the money. I've seen many different styles, alot of watch type ones. I'm not sure as to which ones are the best, guess I need to explore some more. I often wonder if I'm burning more than fitbit says (more would be awesome) but I guess that is where the hrm would come in. Anyway, thanks for your input, I'll have to read up on them. My ear is on the mend, hoping I feel better by tomorrow, tried my ellipitcal today and thought I was gonna die :) Hoping your knee improves, such a downer huh? Feel better soon, sweetie!
  • kizmax
    kizmax Posts: 12
    ohh interesting thread ! I have just bought a fitbit - its not arrived yet but I can't wait to get it, I was going to ask the question on here are there many people using them & do they help keep motivation up ! Do you use yours everyday ? tell me more about them !! :)
  • Lynettesloseit
    Lynettesloseit Posts: 3 Member
    I never got the fitbit, but it sounds to me that it is a great motivator. I just got my Hear rate monitor on mothers day and I love it. My boyfriend said it was one of the best. It is a Polar and it has a band you wear around your chest and a wrist watch type of monitor. He got this because it does not interfere with my bike computer (speedometer/odometer) device. I will only rely on my HRM and not fitness pal for my calorie burn. I find my HRM to be comfortable. If fit bit is a great motivator, why not use both? I have to laugh because before I cycle, I set my bike computer back to 00 and have to turn on my HRM to start, but these tools help me see what I did for that work out.
  • Brinasacat
    Brinasacat Posts: 505 Member
    I used both. The fitbit records my daily activity level. I need to have it say at lteast 10 flights, 5 miles, and 10,000 steps before bed. MY HRM I wear for Jazzercise classes, or canoeing, and kayaking. The fitbit doesn't record those activiites well. THey both have their place in my life!
  • cshelto44
    cshelto44 Posts: 26 Member
    ohh interesting thread ! I have just bought a fitbit - its not arrived yet but I can't wait to get it, I was going to ask the question on here are there many people using them & do they help keep motivation up ! Do you use yours everyday ? tell me more about them !! :)
    Yes, I wear mine everyday, and I love it! It really is a good motivator, makes me want to push more. Took some time to get use to it as it doesnt come with a manual, thank god for MFP's! The more you use it, the easier it becomes in understanding it. Hope you like yours as much as I do mine.
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,487 Member
    I used both. The fitbit records my daily activity level. I need to have it say at lteast 10 flights, 5 miles, and 10,000 steps before bed. MY HRM I wear for Jazzercise classes, or canoeing, and kayaking. The fitbit doesn't record those activiites well. THey both have their place in my life!

^^^This - I wear my FItBit 24/7 but the HRM for those activities it doesn't catch as well. I want full credit for EVERYTHING! :bigsmile: