cooking mushrooms NOT in the pan

Options
ieva015
ieva015 Posts: 93 Member
does anyone know any SIMPLE methods on how to cook mushrooms not in the pan? can i cook them in the oven, and for how long? i just want them to cook through, nothing fancy :smile:
i don't have a microwave :ohwell:
i also don't want to add any oil or butter, so what would be the best way to cook them on their own?
(i use them as a side to my protein)
thank you! :smile:

Replies

• kris4chloe
    kris4chloe Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    you could try baking them but they could get overdone very quickly so you would have to watch it.

i cook mine in a pan with olive oil spray, it is enough to sautee them but doesnt add any calories
  • Guitarjon
    Guitarjon Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    You can boil mushrooms in water. I like em in the pan though with butter and garlic. Opps.
  • brneydgrlie
    brneydgrlie Posts: 464 Member
    Options
    we put ours on shish kebob skewers and grill them. To either grill them, or bake them in the oven, you will need to marinate them in some sort of liquid. Otherwise, once they hit the dry heat, they will get shriveled and unattractive looking. Marinading is also a great way to add flavor.
  • taxidermist15
    taxidermist15 Posts: 677 Member
    Options
    If you get those big mushrooms you can take the stalk out, flip em over, and add some chopped peppers, asparagus, onion, whatever and make a yummy veggie stack! chuck em under the grill YUM
  • bkay30
    bkay30 Posts: 43
    Options
    My absolute favorite way to cook mushrooms is in oven. I put them in foil, sprinkle with whatever seasoning I want, and close up the foil. Bake at 400 for like 10-15 minutes depending on how "cooked" you want them. Yum! I think it "steams" them. I dont use any oil at all and they are never dry and shriveled. When I open the foil there is actual water in there from the mushrooms.
  • themama02
    themama02 Posts: 1
    Options
    Mushrooms bake nicely in the oven or a toaster oven. I don't bother to spray my pans, because the mushrooms will put out some moisture as the bake.

Here is a quick and very healthy appetizer recipe:

2 (8-oz) packages button or baby bella mushrooms, stems removed and finely chopped, caps left intact
    1 small yellow onion, chopped
    Salt and ground black pepper to taste
    1 (1-pound) pkg frozen spinach, thawed and squeezed of excess water

Saute the onion and chopped mushroom stems in a little water and add the spinach once the onions are translucent. You can add fresh garlic and any spices you want. Stuff the mushroom caps and bake for 20-30 minutes at about 350 degrees. The caps should be a little shriveled and some water in the bottom of the pan when they are done.
  • JessicaMurch5515
    JessicaMurch5515 Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    I do the same as bkay30 except I use parchment paper instead of foil. They turn out great!
  • Bahet
    Bahet Posts: 1,254 Member
    Options
    I use a cast iron pan with about 1 TBS of water to 2 packs of mushrooms. Just stir them often and they will steam cook. No butter or oil necessary. I like to sprinkle them with a little season salt and garlic powder too.