Made these for 4yr old's birthday treats for daycare...

Options

Replies

• angieroo2
    angieroo2 Posts: 973 Member
    Options
    Those look great for a birthday treat, yum!
  • anakinlover
    anakinlover Posts: 109
    Options
    Don't take offense to nonsensical rants..You certainly do not owe anyone on here an explanation. I'm sure you were just trying to share something nice with the MFP community. God forbid someone actually take a break from calorie counting, fat burning posts and offer a sweet little blurb. I think it's great that you took the time to make a treat for your child. It's so easy to grab a store bought item and call it a day. Making chocolate pretzels for a treat hardly equals cramming junk food down your child's throat. Enjoy the day! Your child will remember what you made by hand over a handfull of blueberries any day! :drinker:
  • PShep17
    PShep17 Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    Oh man, some folk need to get a life! Give the kid a treat...actually it's their birthday, give them two!! Haha

Does everyone remember why we're all here? Some form of weight loss goal......most likely due to the fact that we used to eat a bit more of this stuff than we should have! Aye, I went there....used to eat white flour and sugary goodies and additive and oh the yummy list goes on!! :)

Folk make me laugh! Live a little, hope the kids enjoyed the birthday party!!!
  • Kebby83
    Kebby83 Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    They look tasty.

And - I wasn't allowed preservatives, E-numbers, dairy (the things that make up the tasty processed foods) when I was little because of a skin condition and I would sneak binge as young as 6 years old - I even stole candy from the youth group I went to. If you are told you are not allowed something that every single kid is eating then you are going to find a way to fit in.

I feel bad for the kids not allowed. My 5 year old does not drink soda. She hardly drinks juice. She drinks water. Sometimes I let her have a few sips of my husbands soda. I buy juice for her to drink occasionally. She just got done eating a cup of carrot sticks and she is snacking on some lays potato chips with her lunch. She has her pre school graduation today and there will be cake - she can have some. She didn't eat sugar until she was 2 years old. She is very healthy, active, smart and eats junk food as treats. She also runs around for about 9 hours a day, goes hiking and walking with me, jumps up and down constantly - she is active and can afford at this young age to learn that everything in moderation is OK instead of what I learned as a child - that you can't eat anything and if you do you must feel guilty and awful.
  • shoegal517
    shoegal517 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Can I ask why? You are feeding them nothing but crap, white flour, sugar and more sugar.

SMH - Sorry, but this irritates me to no end.

Why not a huge fruit salad or something that has some actual nutrition for small growing bodies and developing bones and brains?????

WOW, really? I'd get it if she said, "here's what I made my children for breakfast!" but seriously... could you be any more judge-y?

P.S.- the kid that brings fruit on his bday is going to get some comments from his friends when they're used to a treat on these occasions.... not saying it's wrong to think of fruit as a treat, but that's not the way kids think. Even cookie monster says, "cookies are a sometimes snack" ha ha
  • bethdris
    bethdris Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    They look fun, and I know my kids would like to have one.....really..its the child's birthday!!! :) I think the kids at the daycare will love them, and thanks for sharing! :)
  • NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    If you don't get to eat stuff like this every once in a while as a kid, when do you get to eat it?

I'm guessing When they are old enough to go buy it themselves and then gorge themselves on junk because they never got to have any treats as kids.....

They look yummy, by the way, I'm sure the kiddies will love them :-)

Exactly! There's a new study that showed that kids who ate sweets and junk food in moderation were less likely to be overweight or obese as adults than those who were never allowed sweets or junk food. Never allowing something makes it taboo, which makes people likely to do it. In the case of food, it makes them more likely to overindulge.

My kids get treats, but they also love vegetables and fruits. They naturally have an understanding of moderation and generally will go back to eating healthy foods after they have half of a cupcake at a party.
  • Christine1110
    Christine1110 Posts: 1,786 Member
    Options
    Yummy....and better then messy cake they never eat...only the frosting : )
    It's for a birthday...they need a treat!!
  • Striving4Fit_MrsOrtiz
    Striving4Fit_MrsOrtiz Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    Why are people so damn rude! Make TOM leave if that's your problem. Birthday's only come around once a year! I hope that kid has an awesome time. Oh and those look amazing and definitly creative.

PEOPLE ARE JUST HATING CAUSE THEY CAN'T HAVE ONE… LMFAO
  • AJ_MotherRunner
    AJ_MotherRunner Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    I think they look A-M-A-Z-I-N-G!!!! Happy birthday to your kiddo. I tip my hat to you because you sent in a treat (handmade with :heart: ) that appeals to 4 year olds and is much more than a cupcake with fake frosting...I am sure every single 4 year old will think your kid is the BOMB because his mom sent in such an awesome treat!!! :flowerforyou:

eta: spelling error
  • Reinventing_Me
    Reinventing_Me Posts: 1,053 Member
    Options
    Even though I'm not really fond of sprinkles and M&M's, I think they look like great birthday treat. I'd definitely eat up all the one's with the semi-sweet mini chocolate chips. The kids are sure to love them. Kudos to you for taking the time and making the effort to make these and share the pictures with us. I'm inspired to make my own chocolate covered pretzels. Have you ever done this with yogurt or anything? If so, can you share your recipe?

ETA: Happy birthday to the little one!
  • Christine1110
    Christine1110 Posts: 1,786 Member
    Options
    Can I ask why? You are feeding them nothing but crap, white flour, sugar and more sugar.

SMH - Sorry, but this irritates me to no end.

Why not a huge fruit salad or something that has some actual nutrition for small growing bodies and developing bones and brains?????

It's a BIRTHDAY!!
  • krom862
    krom862 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Those look delicious! My daughter's 4th bday is tomorrow, and I am making cupcakes for her class on Tuesday :-) Real cupcakes.
    As for those that commented negatively on your post, I didn't see anywhere in there where you asked for opinions, just my personal two cents. Happy 4th bday to your little one!
  • sarahsmom1
    sarahsmom1 Posts: 1,501 Member
    Options
    I make those every christmas and also get dried apricots and dip them in chocolate bet only half of the apricot
  • SteffieMark
    SteffieMark Posts: 1,723 Member
    Options
    Whether I would make them for my child or not, is not important. If you put something on a community forum, you open yourself up to different opinions. And, everyone has a right to their opinions, even if I do not agree with them. They do not deserve to be called IDIOTS or any other names. I didn't see anyone trying to be hurtful.

I hope your 4 year old has a wonderful birthday and the whole class enjoys the treats! :flowerforyou:
  • hahandel
    hahandel Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    Cute! What kind of chocolate do you roll them in? Melted chocolate chips?
  • AmyM713
    AmyM713 Posts: 594 Member
    Options
    They look great, ignore the negative comments apparently someones parents never gave them goodies for their birthday.
  • autumnk921
    autumnk921 Posts: 1,376 Member
    Options
    OMGoodness....The OP is just trying to share with us a kids treat that most kids would probably love b/c they can hold it in their hands while they eat it....It is a chocolate covered pretzel with sprinkles....Kids would love this and like some people said...It's a TREAT, not an everyday snack...Geesh people...Lighten up...If you think it looks gross or wouldn't give this to your kids, even at a birthday party then go to the next topic...No need to say anything at all if you can't say something nice!!

ETA: I bet the kids at the party will love these and it's great that you were creative and made something fun to eat for the kids...I hope you kiddo has a Fantastic 4th Birthday!!! :flowerforyou:
  • AmyW4225
    AmyW4225 Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    Did any of you go to Kindergarten?

I'm asking because that is where I learned "if you can't say anything nice, don't say anything at all."

Maybe you choose to live a life with NO white flour and NO processed sugar, but that does not make it wrong for people to eat these things, frequently or infrequently. Most daycares also allow parents to ask that their child not be given extra treats, so each parent there probably has the power to choose whether their child eats that treat, or one they send.

I think that looks like a perfectly fine TREAT for children. Not a daily snack maybe, but a TREAT. As for being healthy, not every person holds the same food morals as others, but given a world where Wal-Mart made trans-fat laden cupcakes are the norm, this would be on the healthier spectrum of dessert.

Perfectly said!
  • chell53
    chell53 Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    OMGoodness, really over chocolate covered pretzels.......well they look wonderful and yes they are 4 yrs old and need treats once in a while.......you are a wonderful mother for making them for the class......hope all was good and your childs b/day was great.....if I was there I would have one maybe two......