Males doing the 30 day shred

Options
Hi Guy, started the 30 day shred again today, I started it a few months ago but didn't get past the first 10 days as I started on various projects but now I am looking to incorporate it on more of a part time basis alternating between the 30DS and some running having Sundays off.

Last time I did it I used 2x 1.5kg weights but after reading on here that for fat loss you should use the heaviest weights you physically can I decided to up it to 2x 3kg weights this time. I know its not heavy but combined with the program it really got me sweating.

What are the other guys using in terms of weights on the program? Seems a lot of women do this but I'd like to hear of more males experiences.

Replies

• Guitarjon
    Guitarjon Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    Come on guys, please let me know that men do this as well as girls!
  • vade43113
    vade43113 Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    I will give it a shot, if you are. Your the leader, I will play follower lol...
  • _Timmeh_
    _Timmeh_ Posts: 2,096 Member
    Options
    I did the 30 day shred last year, made it to about the 23rd or 24th day before I ended up with an injury and had to stop.
    It's a great workout, I used 3 lb weights because that's all we had. Will probably start again when 100% healed.
  • Jers43
    Jers43 Posts: 100
    Options
    I did it the wife had bought so I am cheap and didn't want to spend for p90x or insanity the shred was tough ! Maybe I am not ready for the other ones yet
  • twinsies041
    Options
    I've been trying to get my hubby to do it. He started insanity but didn't finish it. I feel like it would get him much more prepared for insanity!
  • deniseearheart
    deniseearheart Posts: 919 Member
    Options
    I am currently doing p90x and my treadmill but I am thinking of taking a break on p90x and doing the 30ds
  • DesignGuy
    DesignGuy Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    I'm doing 30DS right now and enjoy it. I'm just past the halfway point of the program and doing level 3 of 3.

Started with 10lb dumbbells and used em for a bit. My shoulders hated me, but whatever. I ended up dropping to 5lb ones recently and it's easier, but still a great workout. Although, I'm thinking of going back to 10s for level 3 since it's not as tough as level 2 as far as dumbbell work goes.

Going to give Power 90 a try in a couple weeks.
  • spearfox
    spearfox Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    I started it. Never finished because I strained a calf muscle.

I was using some homemade weights that weigh about 13 pounds(6kg)
    2012-06-03_12-03-27_246.jpg
  • reneelee
    reneelee Posts: 877 Member
    Options
    My husban uses 5 lb. weights. I dont have the heart to tell him that I use not only 5 but ten as well. Try pushing yourself with 10 when doing bicept curles. When you feel like you cant do another one with good form, drop down to 8lbs, then drop down to 5lbs. This makes for a fantastic workout and I feel so pumped after doing it!
  • spearfox
    spearfox Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    One more thing.
    For me this weight was not nearly enough to feel anything on chest flies. Everything else was just about right to push me.
  • DesignGuy
    DesignGuy Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    My husban uses 5 lb. weights. I dont have the heart to tell him that I use not only 5 but ten as well. Try pushing yourself with 10 when doing bicept curles. When you feel like you cant do another one with good form, drop down to 8lbs, then drop down to 5lbs. This makes for a fantastic workout and I feel so pumped after doing it!

Yes, if possible, switching weights is the best way. Punching with 10lb+ dumbbells on level 3 might be a bit much, but as Spearfox said, doing the chest flies with 10lb even wasn't anything.

I think it's a great way to spend 25 minutes in the morning.
  • Josee76
    Josee76 Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    Come on guys, please let me know that men do this as well as girls!

Get onto some P90X and start lifting heavy.... that's my opinion!
  • PNOIZE
    PNOIZE Posts: 44
    Options
    my advice for you is to start light. use weight that u r comfortable with and every 3 or 4 days add an extra pound or so. I started with 10lbs and on my last week i was pushing 30-35lbs.
  • Guitarjon
    Guitarjon Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the replies guys.

Problem with weights is that I only have 3 sizes and no disposable income to buy more. So I have the choice of 1.5kg, 3kg and 5kg.

All my spare money is going on the wedding :( lol

The chest flys are pretty easy and when I belonged a gym I was pushing 20kg in each arm. I guess I am still keeping the heart rate going though. The lunges are a killer but I know how important they are!
  • vade43113
    vade43113 Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    Her voice is going to drive me insane, with her little pep talks... I think I will just mute it and play some Demon hunter or something
  • RzRzRzR
    RzRzRzR Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I guess I need to Google "30 day shred" unless there is info on this site about it????