Chia Seeds

Options
I purchased some chia seeds and I'm wondering if anyone has any suggestions for what to do with them?? Thanks!

Replies

• Mc_Queen
    Mc_Queen Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I soak them in water overnight to make a gel (think it actually takes about 10 mins). Then you can stir the gel into smoothies, shakes, oatmeal etc. I think you can also just throw the raw seeds into salads and things too, but I haven't tried that yet.

I love them because they're so filling and so good for you :-)
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    I add them to my oatmeal, my yogurt, my salads...
  • trudefaith
    trudefaith Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I put them in my oatmeal,and I have stirred them into soup and stews also try this recipe for chia chocolate pudding with chia http://blog.fatfreevegan.com/2012/01/chocolate-chia-pudding-and-other-sugar-free-flour-free-desserts.html
  • robinmltn
    robinmltn Posts: 11
    Options
    I had a roommate who was a raw foodist and she just mixed the chia seeds with water and ate the gel out of a bowl. Erm...you could do that. Haha. I like to put them in baked goods like muffins and cookies. I've made chocolate chia pudding before and that's awesome if you don't mind the texture (kind of reminds me of tapioca). I have also seen recipes for raw jams with chia seeds since the chia seeds will make a gel. Oh! And I throw them in oatmeal a lot! :)
  • lstnlondry
    lstnlondry Posts: 1,794 Member
    Options
    I add them to smoothies & oatmeal
  • Cherilea
    Cherilea Posts: 1,118 Member
    Options
    I add it to my water (with drink mix) and let it sit for 5-10 mind. and drink up. It's like a slushy.
  • Sarah_Wins
    Sarah_Wins Posts: 936 Member
    Options
    I put them in my oatmeal,and I have stirred them into soup and stews also try this recipe for chia chocolate pudding with chia http://blog.fatfreevegan.com/2012/01/chocolate-chia-pudding-and-other-sugar-free-flour-free-desserts.html

Thank you for this! As a very strict low carber, I haven't had a real dessert besides berries in many, many months. I'm making this right now!
  • LilacDreamer
    LilacDreamer Posts: 1,365 Member
    Options
    I like Chia gel....i put it in Iced tea and it sort of has the consistency of (very small) tapioca bubbles [bubble tea]

I also add the gel to smoothies and soups, i've even added it to spinach artichoke dip

I've also made Chocolate, Coconut & Cinnamon Chia Pudding.
  • cheesy_blasters
    cheesy_blasters Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    I just sprinkle them on whatever I'm eating. I'm simple!
  • V3ggieL0vinGinger
    Options
    If you mix them with yogurt and let them sit for about 10 minutes it gets all gelled and the seeds puff up. Yummy!
  • AlayshaJ
    AlayshaJ Posts: 703 Member
    Options
    I usually put it my oatmeal. Sometimes if I am not lazy and actually make a tea (Usually Earl Grey or Raspberry Lemonade Matte) I put 1 1/2TBS in a water bottle with my tea. I looooove the texture and so does my husband.

****DO NOT SOAK THEM IN TAP WATER******

They absorb and reflect flavor VERY well. Use bottled or filtered water. Seriously, made that mistake and my tea tasted like metal and dirt. Not tastey.
  • taylor0204
    taylor0204 Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    I love chia seeds. Here is a link with 40 ways to use chia. Enjoy!!
    http://www.chiaseedrecipes.com/40-ways-to-use-chia-seeds.php
  • chloeelebeir
    chloeelebeir Posts: 130
    Options
    Thanks everyone! These are all great ideas!