Gained 2 pounds overnight???????????

Options
I know I cheated last night ,but 2 pounds???? Its hard for me to stay motivated as it is, but to see me back where I was a week ago is so disheartening.

The last 4 days Ive been bouncing around in the 170's. (170.8, 170.2, 170.6, 170.1) and this morning I wake up to 172.8??????

I will admit, I cheated last night. But not 2 pounds worth. We had date night with some friends. I for-went my usual 1500 calorie Caribbean chicken sandwich and ordered the grilled chicken salad with no cheese and FF dressing. I only had 1 cocktail, and not my usual 600 calorie margarita, but a 120 calorie dirty martini. I did splurge on dessert and shared a salted caramel cake with my hubs, but I only had 4-5 bites (as opposed to the whole thing) So yea, I went over my calorie intake yesterday by about 1000. But 2 pounds???

Sigh... This is my 2nd time to attempt weight loss in the last year. I fell off the wagon last time because I wasnt seeing results. I dont want that to happen again. I MUST LOSE THIS WEIGHT!! I wonder if Im doing something wrong (?)

Replies

• Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    You ate an additional 7,000 calories??????????????????????
    :happy:

of course you didn't. And you didn't gain two pounds. You ate out and ingested a ton of sodium with your salted cake. You had cocktails and got a little dehydrated.

Eat normally today, and up your water intake and you'll be back to normal tomorrow or so.

You did NOT gain 2 lbs.
  • missnelso04
    missnelso04 Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    I agree with Sabine!

And this may not be something you want to hear, but you should cut yourself some slack. Yes, be determined, but try to push yourself too hard and you'll psychologically push yourself right back off the wagon. I only weigh once a week to avoid that crazy up-and-down thing the scale does. Since I don't exercise the way I should, it has only been going down .2 or .4 or so lbs every week (or staying the same..ugh). But as long as it doesn't go UP, that's enough to keep me motivated. For now.. :)
  • bkay30
    bkay30 Posts: 43
    Options
    Thanks! I just love food so much and dieting is so hard for me. I really really want to lose this weight. But I know what happened last time I tried. I lost about 15 pounds, and then plateaued for 3 weeks. 3 weeks of hard work and lost nothing. So I gave up. I dont want that to happen again. :( I was (am) so upset when I saw the scale this morning. I didnt record it, Im hoping if Im really good today, it will go back down tomorrow
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options
    Thanks! I just love food so much and dieting is so hard for me. I really really want to lose this weight. But I know what happened last time I tried. I lost about 15 pounds, and then plateaued for 3 weeks. 3 weeks of hard work and lost nothing. So I gave up. I dont want that to happen again. :( I was (am) so upset when I saw the scale this morning. I didnt record it, Im hoping if Im really good today, it will go back down tomorrow
    In the long run it might be good to not think "dieting" but think "what longs term sustainable changes can I make".
    For me it was dumping the "whites" (years ago). I switched to whole grains, and stopped eating anything with added sugar. No real need to diet after that.

oh, and beer (that was the more challenging one)
  • DPernet
    DPernet Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    Stop weighing yourself every day. Once a fortnight is enough!
  • pinkprincessness
    pinkprincessness Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Get back to your healthy eats ways and you will lose those 2 pounds plus more. Don't beat yourself up over it. Everyone needs a cheat meal or even a day to stay sane :) But just don't give up!!
  • ashtonvv
    ashtonvv Posts: 144
    Options
    I had a cheat night on friday, I was only over by 611 cals, and I apparently gained 4 lbs. I'm almost back to normal now, thanks to a ton of water and some extra cardio. Hang in there!! Sometimes you have to step away from the scale for a few days!
  • desert_rhino
    desert_rhino Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    Once you start down the scale watching path, forever will it dominate your destiny. Consume you it will. ~~Yoda

Get the hell off the scale. Look at it out of curiosity if you must, but only record (and worry about it) every few days. My scale bounces around a lot, sometimes over five pounds in a day. It depends on how much salt I eat, how many liters of water I drink, and whether I've torn up my major muscles exercising. Worrying about two pounds of water/salt weight is silly, and you'll psych yourself into failure if you keep worrying that much about it!
  • Kooraloo
    Kooraloo Posts: 362 Member
    Options
    It's probably all the sodium you had...
    also, your weight waffles about 4 pounds throughout the day. So it could be that you're weighing yourself at different times.

Just drink tons of water today and get rid of all the sodium you have in you!
  • txlissa62
    txlissa62 Posts: 128
    Options
    Restaurant food is loaded with sodium. Check out the nutritional info on the websites of the major chains. Even the items they label as "guiltless" or using another diet-friendly term will be loaded with sodium. This will cause you to retain water.

For instance, check out Chili's nutritional information: http://www.chilis.com/EN/LocationSpecificPDF/MenuPDF/001.005.0000/Chilis_Nutrition_Menu_Generic.pdf

Even their classic sirloin listed on their "lighter choices" has only 250 calories, yet also has 1,580 mg of sodium.

The two pounds you "gained" is water weight. Once you go back to your normal eating, you will lose it. For this reason, if you're going to treat yourself, don't weigh yourself the next day.

As an example: We went out of town last weekend, meaning I ate out for every meal for three days. I didn't always choose the healthiest items; for breakfast, I had a bacon, cheese & tomato omelet with a biscuit and fried potatoes. I had decided I wasn't going to weigh myself immediately when I got back. I went right back to my healthy eating, and now I'm 2.4 lbs. lighter than I was nine days ago, before the trip.
  • bkay30
    Options
    OMG I had no idea salt caused weight gain. I never watch my salt intake. That salted caramel cake alone was probably like licking a salt lick :noway:

I do weigh myself at the same time every single morning and only the one time a day. Never more than that. I dont know if I can stop. How do you all go a week without looking at the scale? I think I would go crazy LOL :)

Thanks everyone for making me feel better. yall are awesome!
  • TheAncientMariner
    TheAncientMariner Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    Getting on the scale every day leads to anxiety, depression, and feelings of a loss of self control. I wouldn't touch the scale no more than once per week. Additionally, if you are going to continue to get on the scale every day, you really need to do research on water retention, glycogen, cortisol, and how your body deals with these things. It will give you all of the answers so that you aren't jumping on that scale blind. The scale is an accessory, but not an indicator of where you are fitness or even weight wise. It is a snapshot for that moment in time as you are standing on it. An hour later it could be completely different. Remember that.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options
    Getting on the scale every day leads to anxiety, depression, and feelings of a loss of self control. I wouldn't touch the scale no more than once per week. Additionally, if you are going to continue to get on the scale every day, you really need to do research on water retention, glycogen, cortisol, and how your body deals with these things. It will give you all of the answers so that you aren't jumping on that scale blind. The scale is an accessory, but not an indicator of where you are fitness or even weight wise. It is a snapshot for that moment in time as you are standing on it. An hour later it could be completely different. Remember that.
    For SOME People. I weigh every day, which is how I know about fluctuations due to salt, PMS, etc... depends on the person. For me, weighing daily is not stressful, nor do I feel out of control.
  • bkay30
    Options
    You all were right! I woke up this morning to 169.2!!! So that means Im finally out of those 170's :):) Another .8 pounds gone!

I guess those scale 2 pounds were from all that salt afterall :) Thanks for the support everyone!
  • MsNewBooty83
    MsNewBooty83 Posts: 1,003 Member
    Options
    go have a poop.
  • MissTattoo
    MissTattoo Posts: 1,203 Member
    Options
    Edit: See, you are fine. ^_^
  • Spice_4_Life
    Spice_4_Life Posts: 225
    Options
    You ate an additional 7,000 calories??????????????????????
    :happy:

of course you didn't. And you didn't gain two pounds. You ate out and ingested a ton of sodium with your salted cake. You had cocktails and got a little dehydrated.

Eat normally today, and up your water intake and you'll be back to normal tomorrow or so.

You did NOT gain 2 lbs.

Totally Agree!!! Salt can play tricks with your diet. Lots of water and healthy eating and you'll be just fine :bigsmile:
  • irishcanadianwoman
    Options
    I do weigh myself at the same time every single morning and only the one time a day. Never more than that. I dont know if I can stop. How do you all go a week without looking at the scale? I think I would go crazy LOL :)

Weigh every day if you want, but record the average of those numbers every week. That is much closer to the truth!
    I try on an old favourite pair of jeans and a fitted dress to measure changes. Not the scale.

Good luck
  • phinphanbill26
    phinphanbill26 Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    The body requires a cheat day each week...it's okay to do...just don't get on the scale the next morning!!!
  • ejleider
    ejleider Posts: 1
    Options
    Overnight and daily gains are usually fluctuations of water weight and what time of day you are weighing yourself. I have about 3lbs of variance during the day depending on when I weigh in. Make sure you always weigh yourself at a consistent time of day and with about the same things. I always do that right when I wake up. I weigh myself to monitor my water intake during extreme exercise and it can be very helpful.