Joining the Army

Options
When I started this I weighed 210lbs, I now weight 174. I am 6 pounds away from being the maximum weight required to join. Are their any ex-army here that can tell me how long it takes from your recruitment appointmen to the day you ship? Im really starting to focus on getting ready for basic training (physically) and just want to guage how to pace myself to be somewhat physically ready for it when the time comes.

Replies

• coraliethomas
    coraliethomas Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    Bump... any takers?
  • karens925
    karens925 Posts: 1
    Options
    From what I remember only a few weeks. HTH
  • coraliethomas
    Options
    Wow! Thank you... Id better get on it I guess!
  • itgeekwoman
    itgeekwoman Posts: 804 Member
    Options
    My daughter just joined the Navy and for her she has 2 months before basic from when she signed up. She was JUST under the max weight but her Body Fat was low because she's been working out for months to get in shape to enlist.

Just work at it, you can do this and know that if you do this in advance, it will make basic less painful. You can succeed.

And thanks for your dedication in support of our nation!
  • Nastasha915
    Nastasha915 Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    I was in the Air Force but my sister joined the Army at the same time as I did. THis was about 4 years ago, but in the summer they seem to have a surge of new recruits. From the day she saw the recruiter to the day she went to basic training was only about a week and a half to 2 weeks max. They even shortened basic training because they were pushing so many people through. But because the military is downsizing right now it may take longer. Like i said, I joined the Air Force. It took about a month for me, but it's essentially the same process (I took longer because I was waiting on a specific job to open up). Good luck and congratulations on meeting your goal.
  • Mtfd02
    Mtfd02 Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    It depends on where you go for Basic and AIT, It could take a few weeks or a few months.....
  • Drenched_N_Motivation
    Drenched_N_Motivation Posts: 1,004 Member
    Options
    Semper Fi and be all you can be!
  • TooHott2Trott
    TooHott2Trott Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    My daughter enlisted and signed her Army contract in July 2011. She left for basics February 14, 2012. But it all depeends a lot on what you MOS will be and where you're gonna do your basics how long you have to wait.

Best of luck in your enlistment! Basics is not easy but with the right physical and mental preperation you will do great!!!!

HOOAH!!!
  • MissC787
    MissC787 Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    A family friend joined a few years ago. He worked really hard to get into the "weight range". Then he had to work to build up his stamina. His recruiter told him the best way to do this was to get a chair, and pick a fast paced song that made him want to move. Try to step up and down on the chair throughout the whole song, and keep a fast pace. The other thing I would suggest is. Be able to do up downs to a song at a fast rate, and STRETCH ALOT!!

The sooner you start the better off you will be. It can be from a couple weeks to a couple months. Good luck, and thanks for your dedication.
  • ashlinmarie
    ashlinmarie Posts: 1,263 Member
    Options
    My brother and my husband are both in the air force. My brother had to wait 6 months because of his MOS, but my husband got the call on Thursday, about a week and a half after he entered the DEP and left on Monday.
  • tabulator32
    tabulator32 Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    It varies greatly...AND...it can change at any time.

I was told it would be four to six months and then they took me in about two months.

Always be ready!
  • 75Juniper
    75Juniper Posts: 376
    Options
    It varies greatly...AND...it can change at any time.

I was told it would be four to six months and then they took me in about two months.

Always be ready!

This! It depends on your MOS, other people who are signing up, training schedules, and various other "people shuffling" things that might be going on. I had to wait three months, but I knew a girl who went to the MEPS, signed her contract, and literally shipped out the next day. Get used to it - nothing is certain or predictable in the service.

Good luck!
  • coraliethomas
    Options
    Thank you all for the informative and encouraging responses... I am very excited about this as I think a life in the military is perfectly suited for me, and I cant believe it took me this long to come to that conclusion... My husband is being very supportive, even if a few of my co-workers aren't. I just hope that I am what the Army is looking for!

I will keep you all posted!
  • 75Juniper
    75Juniper Posts: 376
    Options
    One more thing: just because you are over the weight limit doesn't mean you will be disqualified. If you are over, they figure out your bodyfat percentage, and if you meet that requirement, you're fine. I never met the weight range and always had to be "taped" for bodyfat when I was in.
  • coraliethomas
    Options
    One more thing: just because you are over the weight limit doesn't mean you will be disqualified. If you are over, they figure out your bodyfat percentage, and if you meet that requirement, you're fine. I never met the weight range and always had to be "taped" for bodyfat when I was in.

Thats what he said over the phone, when I come in for the appointment he will check my BF% and go from there.. I did it here at home and it was 26% (using the navy method), while that is still a bit high, Im clost to meeting the sit up and push up requirements for the PT test, so I think it will be ok.

Thank you for your responses!