Up protein or carbs?

mnichol
mnichol Posts: 642
edited September 19 in Health and Weight Loss
Since I'm trying to rid the last 10 lbs, I've increased my strength training but still doing at least 30 min of moderate cardio a day. So.... at this point should I be consuming more protein or more carbs? I was trying to eat more protein, but then I read somewhere I should be eating more carbs??

any input helpful!!

Replies

• SamiRose
    SamiRose Posts: 118 Member
    Increasing your protein will typically result in more weight-loss. For me personally, any increase in carbs, typically has little benefit. Protein will help you build more muscle, and have better recovery after an intense work-out. Muscle "burns" fat, and the more muscle you are able to gain, the more fat you are able to "burn". Protein consumption is great with lowering your body fat %!!!!!
  • MacMadame
    MacMadame Posts: 1,893 Member
    I vote for protein too.

Some kind of protein/carb mix right before and right after strength training is good.

You increase carbs when you do endurance work.... which would be something like running for two hours. Or, like today, when I'm going on a 4 hour bike ride. I'll bring along gels and sports drink and, while there will be some protein in there, it's almost all carbs.
  • twinkletoes2
    twinkletoes2 Posts: 12 Member
    I would also vote for more protein. It helps to build muscle, which looks like what you're trying to do.

Just wondering what's the theory behind increasing carb/protein intake in the first place? What's the current carb/protein/fat ratio in your diet?

I'm certainly no expert, but I think it depends on what kind of carbs you're talking about. In general, increasing carbs might be counterproductive since they can throw your blood sugar out of whack, and leave you craving more carbs, meaning you're eating more generally non-nutrition-bearing foods = weight gain (and not muscle mass).

Are the carbs you're eating high-quality carbs? Complex carbs with little to no processing and lots of fiber? Those are good for you.
  • paulkj
    paulkj Posts: 163 Member
    Hi. I went through the same thing. I was at the same weight for weeks even though I worked out harder, drank more water. I even went up a pound!
    I lowered my carbs (breads, pasta, pretzels) and upped my protein (lean meats, cottage cheese and low fat cheese) and the weight finally began to move.

Good luck
This discussion has been closed.