Top 5 weight lifting exercises?

Options
gcr2012
gcr2012 Posts: 103 Member
After spending days on here reading everything I can, I think I need to re-assess my idea that cardio is my best option to lose weight. While I will certainly use the treadmill at the gym, no way am I comfortable using the weights there. But I am beginning to think that weight training is my missing link.

I read all those reviews on the weightlifting for women book, but I don't think I am quite ready to start that yet. In the past month I added crunches (now at 200 day, although not all at one time) and 'girl' pushups (30 a day - OK form, but not fantastic). I currently jog/walk 4 miles about 3-4x week. I am 45, and would be so happy to lose 30 lbs, but 50 lbs would put me in a much healthier range.

So, what would you consider the top 5 weight lifting exercises I can do at home, to start being more fit?

Replies

• Venturin
    Venturin Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    IDK if it's weight lifting per se' but you said crunches, so to that I say Planks! and side planks.
  • dzarello
    dzarello Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    Body weight squats and lunges would be a couple you could start with
  • waldo56
    waldo56 Posts: 1,861 Member
    Options
    Squats. If you can't do squats do wall sits to work up to squats. If basic bodyweight squats are too easy, google "pistol squat" and try to do them. They are tough to do, but there are a lot of sources out there with various ways to work up to them.

Pushups. If you can't do them do them on your knees or at an upward angle (using the kitchen counter for example). Once pushups get easy you can move your hands in to make a diamond, do them with your feet elevated, and/or learn to do one armed pushups.

Pullups/chinups. To do them at home, get a removable door pullup bar. If you can't do them, you can work up to them with dumbbell rows, or use a chair for assistance as needed and work negatives. Once they get easy, remove a hand and do one arm chinups.

Abs (various). There are a ton of good ab exercises, of which crunches are not included. Planks are the best low difficulty ab exercise. You also can do hanging knee raises, hanging leg raises, bicycle crunches, various static yoga positions like boat, L-sits (hanging or not) working toward dragon flags (use a door you can get your hands under to do them at home without a bench).

Bridges. Start with the easy variant that keeps your shoulders on the ground. Can be done for reps or holds. Move on to straight bridges (also called reverse planks) and finally full bridges (wheel in yoga). Bridges are often overlooked, if you aren't deadlifting they are by far the best lower back and butt exercise you can do.
  • gcr2012
    gcr2012 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    Thanks! Going to add plank, side plank, squats and lunges to start. Should I do them daily?