sugar

Options
Okay. I'm 5'5.5". 134. I am trying to get to 120.

My average intake is 1200-1400 calories, 50+ protein, under 120 carbs, 40-55 fat.

This has been the plan for 6 weeks. and for the past 2 weeks I've been following a workout routine.

HAVENT LOST A POUND. grrrrr.

so i realize I haven't been tracking my sugars. and then wonder... how many grams should I be at?

any insight?

Replies

• 4thehardman
    4thehardman Posts: 731 Member
    Options
    Why don't you add it onto your food diary? (go to settings) It will tell you how much sugar you should have. Careful though because it tracks natural sugars too and those are ok in moderation.
  • NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    You might need to eat more calories since you don't have much to lose. You also might not be able to get to your desired weight. It's going to depend on your body composition. Also, if you open up your food diary people will be able to give you specific advice regarding your daily diet.
  • kimber_av
    kimber_av Posts: 98
    Options
    I added it to my food goals. it says 27. Does this sound accurate for those who know?

and I opened my diary

I eat between 1200-1400 a day. if I eat anything more than that I gain weight. so no. adding calories is NOT an option.
  • luke1437
    luke1437 Posts: 8
    Options
    Hi Kimber....Luke here. I saw your sugar post. I am the same way. I had immediate success out of the gates about 2 weeks ago, but I noticed on the mobile app that I was over on the sugar. I did not know we could change that on the web app. I am going to check it out. Good info.
  • goddamnelectric
    Options
    I just added sugar to my diary and I'm kind of in shock. I'm always under in fat and carbs but there's too much damn sugar in everything. But my goal is also 27 and I just about kill it in one meal. So disappointing :(
  • Christine1110
    Christine1110 Posts: 1,786 Member
    Options
    I'm the about the same height & weight . I try and eat more protein and I don't eat processed foods. I eat fresh only! I don't eat out. Sugar makes you crave more sugar....and everything processed is full of sugar & sodium. I would eat more protein & less processed carbs!!

My goal is 122 Lets see which one of us will get there first : )
  • jsapninz
    jsapninz Posts: 909 Member
    Options
    Sugars won't matter as far as weight loss (although they are important to keep track of for health reasons).

What is more important that your goal is set properly. Since you are so small and don't have much to lose, you aren't going to have much wiggle room. Eating 1200-1400 calories is a BIG swing (200 cals, or 17% intake difference). I am going to wildly guess your NET goal should be 1200 or less based on how little you have to lose and how small you are already. Now, this doesn't mean you can't eat alot more than that (YOU SHOULD, but you need to be willing to work it off with exercise and log it accurately with a HRM). But it means your NET goal has to be low so you have a sufficient cut.

Us smaller girls have alot less wiggle room. You have to be VERY precise in order to be successful, and very careful that you are eating the right things since your intake is so low. AND as I said you can't really rely on eating less alone, you pretty much have to exercise alot to keep your intake up so that you can get all your nutrients and vitamins.

I reccomend joining the group Not-That-Heavy-Girls group for support as well.:flowerforyou: MFP isn't really set up for those of us looking to lose vanity pounds and you tend to get alot of heartache for it.:ohwell:

If you need help with your numbers feel free to message me, I'm a good cruncher.:bigsmile:
  • wild_wild_life
    wild_wild_life Posts: 1,334 Member
    Options
    Just googled "how much sugar is recommended per day" and there are a couple of different figures, AHA recommends 25g per day for women, USDA recommends 32g for a 2000 cal diet (max). It's hard to keep it this low. On the other hand, I doubt sugar is keeping you from losing weight while you are in a calorie deficit.

Your maintenance calories should be at least 1700 or so, more if you are active. If you really gain weight eating over 1400, your metabolism might be slow. I would look into taking a diet break and eating at maintenance for a couple of weeks. Theres no point in dropping calories and lowering your metabolism further IMO.
  • jsapninz
    Options
    Just googled "how much sugar is recommended per day" and there are a couple of different figures, AHA recommends 25g per day for women, USDA recommends 32g for a 2000 cal diet (max). It's hard to keep it this low.

You are supposed to limit ADDED sugars, as in, refined ones in processed foods. This is very misleading on MFP because it counts all sugars, including those in natural non-added sources like fruits, vegetables, and milk.

It's really not that hard to keep it that low once you know that and you are eating healthy. :flowerforyou:
  • wild_wild_life
    wild_wild_life Posts: 1,334 Member
    Options
    Just googled "how much sugar is recommended per day" and there are a couple of different figures, AHA recommends 25g per day for women, USDA recommends 32g for a 2000 cal diet (max). It's hard to keep it this low.

You are supposed to limit ADDED sugars, as in, refined ones in processed foods. This is very misleading on MFP because it counts all sugars, including those in natural non-added sources like fruits, vegetables, and milk.

It's really not that hard to keep it that low once you know that and you are eating healthy. :flowerforyou:

Good point. It is still a daily struggle for me to limit added sugars because I love them so, but I am working on it! Not for the sake of weight loss but overall health.
  • NoAdditives
    Options
    Sugars won't matter as far as weight loss (although they are important to keep track of for health reasons).

What is more important that your goal is set properly. Since you are so small and don't have much to lose, you aren't going to have much wiggle room. Eating 1200-1400 calories is a BIG swing (200 cals, or 17% intake difference). I am going to wildly guess your NET goal should be 1200 or less based on how little you have to lose and how small you are already. Now, this doesn't mean you can't eat alot more than that (YOU SHOULD, but you need to be willing to work it off with exercise and log it accurately with a HRM). But it means your NET goal has to be low so you have a sufficient cut.

Us smaller girls have alot less wiggle room. You have to be VERY precise in order to be successful, and very careful that you are eating the right things since your intake is so low. AND as I said you can't really rely on eating less alone, you pretty much have to exercise alot to keep your intake up so that you can get all your nutrients and vitamins.

I reccomend joining the group Not-That-Heavy-Girls group for support as well.:flowerforyou: MFP isn't really set up for those of us looking to lose vanity pounds and you tend to get alot of heartache for it.:ohwell:

If you need help with your numbers feel free to message me, I'm a good cruncher.:bigsmile:

When a person has little to lose they actually need to eat at a smaller deficit. This is because the body will burn either fat or muscle, depending in which is closer to the area that needs the energy. For example, the body will not transport fat from the abs to the arms if there isn't enough excess fat to burn in the arms. It will simply burn a little muscle because that takes less effort. So it's important to eat a little bit more and target the areas that need the most work. Because, contrary to what everyone says, spot reduction is possible if a person has a lower body fat percentage.
  • RonSwanson66
    RonSwanson66 Posts: 1,150 Member
    Options
    Because, contrary to what everyone says, spot reduction is possible if a person has a lower body fat percentage.

Please provide your references for this nonsensical claim.
  • NoAdditives
    Options
    Because, contrary to what everyone says, spot reduction is possible if a person has a lower body fat percentage.

Please provide your references for this nonsensical claim.

A Danish study mentioned here:
    http://www.bennadel.com/blog/635-Danish-Scientists-Showed-That-Spot-Reducing-Works-.htm

Also, I specifically said, "the body will burn either fat or muscle, depending in which is closer to the area that needs the energy" which is why, at lower body fat percentages, it is possible spot reduce. To be honest, I can't remember where I read that. I don't bookmark every single interesting article or study, I don't write down sources for everything my trainer taught me. (Interestingly enough, I can remember exactly where I was and what we were doing when I fully explained this concept to my husband.)
  • jsapninz
    Options
    When a person has little to lose they actually need to eat at a smaller deficit. This is because the body will burn either fat or muscle, depending in which is closer to the area that needs the energy. For example, the body will not transport fat from the abs to the arms if there isn't enough excess fat to burn in the arms. It will simply burn a little muscle because that takes less effort. So it's important to eat a little bit more and target the areas that need the most work. Because, contrary to what everyone says, spot reduction is possible if a person has a lower body fat percentage.

You ma'am, - to put it politely- are absolutely full of IT.

It is a well known fact that you CANNOT spot reduce. Yes the body will burn either fat or muscle if you aren't using your muscle enough, but the idea of "which ever is closer to the area" is abolutely bologna. People carry weight differently, and your genetics determine where your extras are stored. Just because you are working your arms doesn't mean your body will somehow move fat from your *kitten* into your arms....it means you burn your fat, and wherever your body determines it wants to get rid of it from, it will, in whatever order it determines. There is NOTHING you can do about that.

Honestly, not to be rude but this is a complete load of BS. :huh::noway: