Hey Fat Girl!

Options

Replies

• rochellena
    rochellena Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Wow, this really is one of the most motivational things I've ever read. I'm not a runner...yet. I enjoy walking, and I do so often feel embarrassed, ashamed, and inadequate when I see a fitter, thinner, leaner person out. I am always worried that they are looking at flabby me waddling down the sidewalk and laughing. This piece really was just really comforting, and strangely, it kind of makes me more interested in trying to run than I have been in...well, pretty much ever.
  • mnishi
    mnishi Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    This is amazing!
    I AM the fat girl that thinks all the fit people are laughing at me, it's nice to know that they aren't (well, most anyway).
  • 619jelly
    619jelly Posts: 3
    Options
    LOVE IT!
  • AwesomelyAmber
    AwesomelyAmber Posts: 1,617 Member
    Options
    So very fabulous!!! I am from a family of runners... insane, crazy, runners. For instance my uncle and his son just RAN from Kittery, Me. to Florida last summer for charity. I always said I would NEVER be a runner, no matter how big or little I was because it was not for me. This past year there have been some major changes in my life:wink: I started walking the same route over and over, as time passed I had a few choices 1.) go farther than I had been 2.) go more often OR 3.) run or jog it. I decided that jogging it would be my best bet. At first I would gauge my jogging stints between houses where no one would see me. IF I heard a car approaching I would stop jogging and just walk with my head down so that no one would see how red and sweaty my face was when they passed. One day, I said "Screw it" and just started to jog every 2nd telephone pole NO MATTER WHO WAS WATCHING... because after all I was getting healthier, and happier while other people were riding in a car or sitting at home watching tv. It wasn't too long down the road that neighbors were yelling ENCOURAGEMENT out of their front doors! Anyone can be a 'runner' the only requirement is to.... RUN. Thank you so much for posting!
  • kgiuffri
    kgiuffri Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Totally needed this :smile:
  • chelsa1986
    chelsa1986 Posts: 71
    Options
    Amazing! When I competed in my first triathlon I had lost 60lbs and still had 30 to lose. I ran a 12 min mile and had to stop in the middle of the lake for a breather! When I crossed that finish line (over 3 hours later) though, I was sobbing my heart out. So proud of myself. When I started my WLJ I could't run for more than a minute at a time. My trainer and all the other women who finished an hour before me surrounded me in a group hug. I had never felt so good in my entire life.
  • Going4Healthy
    Going4Healthy Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    All I can say is thank you! It's the same feeling going to a Zumba class or to the gym. Being the overweight one in any crowd, I feel that "eyes-down" embarrassment. It's comforting to know that not everyone is judging us. That someone is cheering us on.

You are an amazing woman and I think you from the bottom of my heart for sharing your sentiments! :flowerforyou:
  • Ali_TSO
    Ali_TSO Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    This was posted here originally:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/617199-hey-fat-girl?hl=hey+fat+girl

Love it :heart:

But not cool passing it off like you wrote it :ohwell:

• a2znolws
    a2znolws Posts: 1
    Options
    I needed that!!! Thank you!!!
  • Fockertots
    Fockertots Posts: 221
    Options
    bump
  • chelsa1986
    chelsa1986 Posts: 71
    Options

OP didn't do that at all. She said she got it from a blog.

• 1carahmeldiva
    Options
    motivational :)
  • leahbhollifield
    Options
    As someone who was/is the fat girl who has now done 2 5Ks, a 10K, and a half marathon, THANK YOU for posting that. Were it not for some fabulous coworkers who kept encouraging me, I'd have never become the runner I've always wanted to be. Anyone who has the courage to take that first step is a rock star and is lapping everyone who is sitting on the couch!
  • jcstanton
    jcstanton Posts: 1,849 Member
    Options
    I don't run....., yet...... from from the "fat girl" walking the track..... Thank you. You will never know how much I appreciate this. :heart:

You keep at it!! You can do so much more than you ever thought possible. When you feel your worst, read this again. I'm telling you from experience, it pays to keep moving towards your goal one step at a time. : )

Yup! A little over a year ago, I weighed 297lbs., and I could barely walk up the driveway without getting winded. Now, a year later, I'm "only" 47lbs lighter, but I can RUN now! Not for miles and miles...yet...but I am running nearly a third of a mile at a time and I can do far more now than I ever thought possible a year ago. It's not going to happen overnight, but it will happen. Just keep putting one foot in front of the other. Remember, ANY step forward is a step in the right direction, and baby steps count, too! :flowerforyou:
  • Bailey543
    Bailey543 Posts: 375
    Options
    Wow! That is just fabulous!
  • spunkfish
    spunkfish Posts: 581 Member
    Options
    bump for those tough days.
  • icandoit203
    icandoit203 Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    Awesome
  • Ali_TSO
    Ali_TSO Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options

OP didn't do that at all. She said she got it from a blog.
    Oh gosh, I'm so sorry, I totally didn't see that. :ohwell: My apologies. :flowerforyou:
  • tabik30
    tabik30 Posts: 443
    Options
    Ran my first 5K last weekend, was so embarrassed to have to walk a few times. I have always wanted to be a runner so bad, don't know why. Really enjoyed this!
  • lchansen1
    lchansen1 Posts: 22
    Options
    You would be surprised how many people appreciate and admire you for showing up and doing your thing! I am one of them. Keep your chin up and keep at it girl, I love that you are doing-- you!