Who's Had Success Eating Back Exercise Calories?

Options

Replies

• rprussell2004
    rprussell2004 Posts: 870 Member
    Options
    I've only ever eaten back the exercise calories in my 5 months here.

Down 36 pounds so far.

Works for me!

Heck, I figure I've burned them so it's not gonna HURT me...
  • heagler870
    heagler870 Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    This week I am exercising hardcore and burning about 1,200 to 1,500 calories per day with exercise alone. I try to eat 75% of those burned calories. It gets hard to do because I have to eat so much and I'm on a limited food budget. But anyway, I am not gaining weight so I am okay with eating most of those calories back.
  • shaydon80
    shaydon80 Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    I WAS eating back my calories but having little success so I've been allowing myself to eat half of them for the past week or so. No HUGE difference in results but somehow I just feel better :)
  • tinana_RN
    tinana_RN Posts: 541 Member
    Options
    I almost always eat back my exercise calories-- I'm not having a problem :)
  • kayleesays
    kayleesays Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    *hand raise*
  • SoViLicious
    SoViLicious Posts: 2,633 Member
    Options
    Thank you for posting this because I was wondering if I should eat them back also. Ive been feeling very hungry lately.
  • shaydon80
    shaydon80 Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    I WAS eating back my calories but having little success so I've been allowing myself to eat half of them for the past week or so. No HUGE difference in results but somehow I just feel better :)
  • Enonoid
    Enonoid Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    I usually burn 300-400 and I eat back most of them. I am steadily losing at least a pound a week.

Same with me.
  • KayLgee
    KayLgee Posts: 139
    Options
    I don't make an effort to however I am more lenient on the days I work hard, if i burn around 300-600 cals I will generally consume around 200 on top.
  • christina_theresa
    christina_theresa Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    I almost always eat back my workout calories. I found that the faster your lose weight the faster it all comes back. I've been taking the slow and steady approach to weight loss and it has been very successful for me. 73 lbs down!
  • taunisha26
    Options
    I get so confused when it comes to the calorie thing. To me it doesnt make sense to eat the calories you've burned...so I dont. I've still had success losing weight. Maybe each person is different. But I thought the idea was to burn more than you eat...or at least some of it. I drive my self crazy trying to figure it out!
  • Gergal73
    Gergal73 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I'm one of the few that can't eat them back or I gain... I tried eating back exercise calories for 6 months and gained 1 pound. After becoming very frustrated, I spoke to my Nutritionist and Dr. about this and they advised to try not eating back the exercise calories to see what happened with the weight loss. That was 2 months ago and I've dropped 14 pounds... Our bodies are all different. Takes a bit to figure out what each specific body type needs to lose weight. Good luck to you! :smile:
  • just4u_cara
    just4u_cara Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    Like everyone has stated, eat back your exercise calories to fuel your body.

I eat back on average 75% of my exercise calories (or drink them back on a night out!) and I'm still losing. When I ate too little, I stalled out pretty quickly. Once I started eating them again, I started shedding again. Messes with the mind, but it does work.

Good luck!
  • kgprice11
    kgprice11 Posts: 750 Member
    Options
    I've been working out a lot harder this week than I have in the last 2 months combined. I've been hungrier lately, but looking back over my diary, I'm not eating back all my exercise calories. Of course I'm nervous to, but I'd like to. Can I hear from some people that have had success consistently eating back their exercise calories?

Eating you workout calories is one of the better things to do. However if you do not eat healthy filling portions you will actually gain weight instead of lose it. I prefer a protein shake after my workouts just to recover faster while getting healthy calories in me
  • JerseyGirl081
    JerseyGirl081 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    I was nervous too when i started eating back exercise cals but realize that your body needs calories to just live & to keep you doing those intense workouts optimally and when you burn up calories that your body needs to keep you running normally and you dont replenish them you can feel bad all around. Low energy, hunger, sleep problems, etc and most horribly put your body into starvation mode. Then your metabolism is so low it wont burn any calories that it needs to survive. So you hit a plateau or believe it or not gain weight.

But i started eating back my exercise calories when i hit a plateau and holy smokes the weight melted off. My goal was 1lb loss a week but i started losing 2lbs a week just from uping my calorie intake. It was pretty amazing. Now i just refuse to starve myself, which i felt like i was doing in comparison to now, cuz i know i can lose weight and still eat really well.

Give it a try. What have you got to lose except pounds :-) Good luck with whatever you decide! You can do it. :-)
  • omma_to_3
    omma_to_3 Posts: 3,265 Member
    Options
    I eat them back. Almost all of them, every time. I started working out last October and have lost about 28 lbs. since then. It didn't make me lose faster or slower than I had been, but I got to eat MORE FOOD. Exercise calories taste WAY better than regular ones LOL.
  • MissTattoo
    MissTattoo Posts: 1,203 Member
    Options
    I have a BMF so I try to eat between 2200 and 2600 daily since I'm burning between 2700-3100 calories a day depending on if I'm working out or not. My BMR is 2100. I've been losing slowly, but I'm losing and the inches are coming off faster than the weight and I'm lifting heavy so I'll take it. It took about a month or so for me to start noticing a change on the scale though once I upped my calories.
  • HornsUT32
    HornsUT32 Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    For about 6 weeks in a row I ate back most of my exercise calories and lost between 2 to 3 pounds a week.

Last week I worked out more (burned between 600-1200 calories, 5 times a week), and was only netting between 500-600 calories a day. I gained 1.2 pounds.

I feel like I messed my whole body up, because I am still up about 5 days later. Next week I am going back to eating more...for sure.
  • ahbril
    ahbril Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I can only eat 1200 cal a day and I usually have a rage of 200-400 cal left after the work day. I hit the gym after work and work off at the most 300 but not usually since I only do about 10-30 min of cardio after I do weight lifting. And I eat all my worked out calories and then some. But I never eat more than 1200, I'm usually under by about 100-300 cal.

So basically I do all that and have been losing 1-3 lbs a week =).
  • borpy
    borpy Posts: 38
    Options
    I ususally eat back if not all my exercise calories then at least my calorie goal for the day. I've been losing a 1lb a week fairly steadily. It really works.:smile:
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!