Skinny Mirrors?

Options
Ok so do clothing stores have skinny mirrors?? Or does my home have fat mirrors? Or what!?

Every time I go shopping and try stuff on...mostly Gap, Eddie Bauer, Macy's...I see this outfit in the mirror and I think...wow...I do look thinner! I buy piles of clothes that make me look awesome...go home and try them on again and I look like a moose in my mirror!

Someone tell me I'm wrong and the store mirrors are honest. Cuz this is getting ridiculous...all the returning I gotta do!

Remember the Seinfeld episode when Elaine accuses Barney's of having a skinny mirror? I'm starting to think its not so funny!

Replies

• Anyaaaa11
    Anyaaaa11 Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    Ehhh. That's why I hate mirrors. Typically the cheaper mirrors give you the "fat" look.. And it also depends on if your mirror is completely level. But yea it all has to do with the makin of the mirror.

&I think you need to replace your mirror (:
  • cherbapp
    cherbapp Posts: 322
    Options

&I think you need to replace your mirror (:

I love you for saying that! Lol
  • AngelsFan91106
    AngelsFan91106 Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    Haha! I'm staying at a kinda fancy hotel right now and I was thinking that I was looking really good when I looked in the mirror. Then my friend came over and (without any prompting from me) observed that the mirror has a flattering height/weight ratio. Oh well.
  • BellaFe
    BellaFe Posts: 323
    Options
    Ha!!! I think this too!!! My husband thinks I'm insane :)
  • tjs616
    tjs616 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    They have skinny mirrors in my gym too. I'm sure of it!
  • infamousmk
    infamousmk Posts: 6,033 Member
    Options
    Clothing stores do angle the mirrors and use particular lighting to provide a more flattering reflection. You're not crazy, it's a sales tactic.
  • oddyogi
    oddyogi Posts: 1,816 Member
    Options
    Actually my mirror on my dresser makes me look skinnier, in addition to one hanging over a door! I always use that one to take self pics, haha.
  • BellaFe
    BellaFe Posts: 323
    Options
    Clothing stores do angle the mirrors and use particular lighting to provide a more flattering reflection. You're not crazy, it's a sales tactic.

Way to kill it for me! Here I thought I actually looked good :P
  • Alyssa__Lauren
    Alyssa__Lauren Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    The store I work at has mirrors everywhere and the one mirror across from the cash register is definitely a skinny mirror lol. But the one right next to it is a fat mirror D:

I don't get why we have so many full sized mirrors as I work at Sunglass Hut...haha.
  • shanmackie
    shanmackie Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    they do make skinny mirrors. my nutrition club has one. the owner admitted to it!

she said she got it at target and it really did make me look skinnier!
  • jamk1446
    jamk1446 Posts: 5,577 Member
    Options

Then I must shop at all the wrong places because I feel like I look much worse in store dressing rooms than at home.
  • Skinny_minny_mo
    Skinny_minny_mo Posts: 1,272 Member
    Options
    stores do unfortunately have skinny mirrors - hate itt!!! the first time i enountered it i ended up buying a dress one size too small. when i got home i was shocked that i didnt look all lean and thin. lol
  • BeccaLevine
    BeccaLevine Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    I think it's all a figment of your imagination...
  • Morgaine_on_the_move
    Options
    I have thought this before of the mirrors at the Loft, but not at other clothing stores.
  • MDIRunner
    Options
    The local Walmart has a "skinny mirror" in the ladies room. I adore it! ;)
  • vjohn04
    vjohn04 Posts: 2,276 Member
    Options
    mirrors suck and pictures do not lie!

My mirrors in my house suck.
  • sugboog29
    sugboog29 Posts: 630 Member
    Options
    If I like it I buy it, bring it home, and ask my hubby. HE IS THE TRUE determiner of whether I keep it. If he says it looks good/great I keep it, if he says "well, it's ok"...it goes back! I get more compliments on the outfits he picks out/buys than I do what I pick out/buy, so I REALLY trust his judgement! In fact everytime I wear a nice outfit to work our boss tell him "Good job"!!