111 Pounds Lost + First Triathlon - Just Begin!

Options
jcmartin0313
jcmartin0313 Posts: 574 Member
I have hesitated for over a year to write or blog about my weight loss journey, but I remember how I sought out other people's experiences when I began, so I have started a blog about my last 19 months. In October of 2010 I underwent Lap Band surgery and weighed 394 pounds. Fortunately, I had very few health issues except for some mild hypertension. Between October of 2010 and January of 2012, I lost about 70 pounds strictly due to reduced intake. I did not watch what I ate, did not exercise, did not follow the nutrition plan and frankly was happy because I was on the way down. All of this is in my first blog post, but in January I decided in an attempt to fit in at my new job to do the Warrior Dash obstacle run. I decided to begin working out a little so attempting the run would not be a complete joke. At my first workout in January, I was able to cycle on a recumbent Exercycle about 15 minutes and run less than 1/4 mile. Since that time, I have radically changed my life, lost another 42 lbs, added significant muscle and am competing in a super sprint triathlon on June 16th. I can run 2+ miles to nearly a 5k depending on the day, cycle 25 miles and swim 8-900 meters. I hope that this post does not seem like bragging because I have a LONG way to go, but I want everyone to know you are never too big, too slow, too weak or too anything to just begin!

http://kippermartin.wordpress.com/

Replies

• NC_Girl
    NC_Girl Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on your weight loss and this is just going to be a new beginning for you. I use my Recumbent Bike too when it's too hot to walk. It's quite a work out. I was afraid that it wouldn't get my heart rate up but it sure does. I actually think that I'm getting more of a work out on it than walking. I got up to an hour and man when I get off I can tell that I've done some thing! Keep up the great work!
  • eesmetana
    eesmetana Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    That's amazing (and inspiring)!
  • ka97
    ka97 Posts: 1,984 Member
    Options
    Awesome!!! You should be proud of all your accomplishments. Congratulations!
  • YoukilledJosh
    Options
    So awesome man keep rockin it!
  • pkfrankel
    pkfrankel Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    Great story. Be careful because triathlons are addicting. Best of luck in your first race. Tell us about your experience afterward.
  • Cgirlish
    Cgirlish Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    good luck and have fun in your first tri,
  • Christine1110
    Christine1110 Posts: 1,786 Member
    Options
    Great weightloss! Good luck on your next journey!!
  • cloveraz
    cloveraz Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    I read your blog and everything you mentioned is how I feel...Very, very moved... Have a wonderful time at the tri...
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!