how bad is being over on your recommended protein level?

Options
slightly confused. help?

Replies

• Chokis
    Chokis Posts: 131
    Options
    What exactly is your recommended protein intake?
  • lottiefrancis
    Options
    56 at the moment, ive gone 5 points over that
  • trkinsley
    trkinsley Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    If you're going by the default MFP settings, I wouldn't worry about it. If you have normal kidneys, eat as much protein as you want. Personally, I'm usually getting 120-140 g a day at a minimum.
  • bm99
    bm99 Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    For every gram you are over, you will gain a pound.
  • Chokis
    Chokis Posts: 131
    Options
    What percentage is that in your macro settings?
    I eat 30% of my calories from protein. That's about 135 grams for me, and I am a woman. I see no problem, only positive things (such as lean and toned muscles).
  • MizSaz
    MizSaz Posts: 445 Member
    Options
    Do some more research beyond just the generic MFP settings.
  • cckellympls
    cckellympls Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I try to get120-130 g of protein a day. The settings for me here on MFP tell me 55. Way to low for me. If i don't hit my protein # of 120-130 I don't lose weight. If i hit it i do. Higher protein and low carbs works best for me.
  • Tristis
    Tristis Posts: 288 Member
    Options

Say whom??? Considering a lb is thought to be 3500 calories and a 1 g of protein is about 4 calories???
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    If you're going by the default MFP settings, I wouldn't worry about it. If you have normal kidneys, eat as much protein as you want. Personally, I'm usually getting 120-140 g a day at a minimum.

^^this

The minimum recommended amount, especially if you are exercising, is about 1g per lb of LBM, or about 0.65 - 0.8 g of total body weight.
  • jtintx
    jtintx Posts: 445 Member
    Options
    I hope you are just kidding!!!

You would have to eat 875 grams of protein to gain one pound.
  • AlphamaleBAMF
    AlphamaleBAMF Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    The generic MFP settings are way too low anyway I think they are based off the FDA recommendations for RDI which is pretty out of whack anyway. MFP says I should be taking in over 400g of carbs a day and 90g of fat and I'm not doing that.

I usually take in between 200-300g of protein a day.

It's supposed to be around 1 gram to 1.5 grams of protein per pound of lean body weight. Which is whatever your body is minus your body fat %, in my case around 160lbs.
  • steve1686
    steve1686 Posts: 346 Member
    Options

Say whom??? Considering a lb is thought to be 3500 calories and a 1 g of protein is about 4 calories???
    Pretty sure he was trolling
  • Brunner26_2
    Brunner26_2 Posts: 1,152
    Options

You're so wrong! You can eat as much as you want! Your body can only handle so much protein. You just pee out the rest, unlike carbs.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options

They were being sarcastic (I hope!).
  • jtintx
    jtintx Posts: 445 Member
    Options

^^this

The minimum recommended amount, especially if you are exercising, is about 1g per lb of LBM, or about 0.65 - 0.8 g of total body weight.

^^^This

In my opinion you aren't eating nearly enough protein. I try to eat at least 100 g a day.
  • soontobesam
    soontobesam Posts: 714 Member
    Options

Pretty sure he was trolling

I refer to these people as "jacktards" - substitue the J and A for an F and U
  • HMVOL7409
    HMVOL7409 Posts: 1,588 Member
    Options

Excuse me? Please tell me you are joking bc that's so incorrect.

OP: MFP settings aren't the best for everyone. I eat between 125-150 grams of protein a day.
  • zaithyr
    zaithyr Posts: 482 Member
    Options
    I shoot for closer to 100 (especially on days where I'm working out alot). Protein helps me stay fuller.
  • soontobesam
    soontobesam Posts: 714 Member
    Options
    Good question though - I go over my alloted protein pretty much daily (I think) but for some reason never bothered adjusting it.

Need to make some changes!
  • lynnetted43
    lynnetted43 Posts: 252
    Options
    if you are looking to build muscle 1.5 gms of protein per pound of body weight. if you are looking to maintain, 1 gm of protein per pound of bodyweight. if you are looking to lose, eat sensibly!!