Abdominal fat

Options
nxd10
nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
Both my husband and I have been using MFP around a month. Very, informative for both us. This question is about my husband.

He's a very serious tai chi practitioner. For the last 10 years he's been working out daily. For the last year he's been teaching twice/three times a week, working out seven days a week. He works out an hour on 'light' days, three hours for his own weekly class, and a personal workout plus teaching on the two days he teaches. And serious workouts - not cardio, but very intense - sweating up a storm and exhausted when he hits home. He's also starting a light cardio workout for his heart - just bicycle now, but hopefully swimming next week. We both walk 30 minutes a day.

He's also seriously overweight - 6' and right now I think he's at 230 (down from his out of shape peak of 242, but up from his 10 year low of 200). He has gained a lot of muscle but also some fat since that low. The problem is WHERE the fat is and what can be done.

His legs and arms are lean, hard muscle. His chest and back have lost almost all their fat. His face is noticeably thinner. But his belly is just BIG. I keep teasing him (nicely, I hope) that his love handles are all gone. But he honestly looks like those very healthy women who are 9 months pregnant. As he's gotten into better shape he obviously has serious muscle in his abdomen to hold that fat up and forward, but still a lot of stored abdominal fat. Yes, the very worst, unhealthy fat to have. That fat is an organ and it pumps out nasties that are not good for your heart, liver, or anything else.

Any suggestions other than to steadily stick to his net calorie goals? It's very discouraging to be working out so hard and still looking like a 'big fat guy'. I keep telling him he looks so much healthier (he does - you wouldn't believe the change over the last 10 years). Patience?

Replies

• jtintx
    jtintx Posts: 445 Member
    Options
    You can't spot reduce. The fat will come off when it comes off. But I bet he has some rock hard abs under there just dying to get out!!! When he loses it he'll look fab!!!