Not losing-What else can I do?

MST318
MST318 Posts: 11 Member
I'm not seeing ANY results and I'm wondering if I need to change things up a bit.

BACKGROUND INFO:

For the past three years, I've done 30-45 minutes of cardio 3x a week and did weights 1-2x a week. My caloric intake was usually never more than 1300 calories, but I wasn't always choosing the best foods. I didn't have any sort of weight loss success; the only time I lost weight was when my doctor prescribed phentermine.

I decided I really wanted to get healthy and I will have the summer off from work, so I've been really focusing on my fitness/eating the past few weeks.

Presently I do 45-60 minutes of cardio 3-4 times a week and I do strength training 2-3 times per week for about 30 minutes. My net caloric intake ranges from 1250-1700 depending on my activity level that particular day. I've been really dedicated the past two weeks and was thinking that I might be SOME change on the scale or in my clothes, but NADA.

I'm not ready to throw in the towel, but it would be NICE to see SOME results. Should I try running instead of the elliptical or should I increase the weight when I'm strength training...any ideas or suggestions would be sincerely appreciated!

Replies

• enyo123
    enyo123 Posts: 172 Member
    It's going to be difficult for anyone to give you any firm advice without seeing your diary, but that being said...

Are you losing inches? Are you eating too many carbs?
  • CinJay
    CinJay Posts: 157 Member
    Are you drinking lots of water? I find I can see a difference when I drink 10+ glasses of water a day, anything under that and it slows my weight loss progress.

Another thing to consider: you might not be eating enough. Have you checked out the "Eat more to weigh less" group here on MFP? I just started and I'm seeing a difference there too after plateauing for a while, it's really is helping. It might be that your metabolism needs a "kick start".

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/3817-eat-more-to-weigh-less

Your food diary is closed so I can't have a look and see if there are changes that ought to be made there...

Good luck! :)
  • velvetkat
    velvetkat Posts: 454 Member
    without seeing your diary its hard to comment on what you may or may not be eating.. Be sure you are geting 8-10 glasses of water every day.. 5-7 servings of fruits and veggies. watch the carbs and sodium. I have almost totally stopped eating processed foods... cant totally as I eat cheese and it is processed.

As for your workouts maybe try to do some HIT High Intensity workouts to increase your heart rate..Maybe your body is so used to the exercise you are doing that it is not burning any fat and calories. You have to work at your fat burning heart rate for 20 min for it to really do you good. I need to do something too as Ive been stuck for a bit too! I think maybe I will do the HIT for a couple of weeks and see how it works for me too!
    Good luck!
  • monty619
    monty619 Posts: 1,308 Member
    try doin weights 3-5 times a week for 45-60 minutes, and cardio 2x a week on non lifting days for 20mins at high intensity.. make lifting a priority to become stronger and build muscle mass, you wont get big and bulky like a man.
  • Crochetluvr
    Crochetluvr Posts: 3,177 Member
    I tried just counting calories....didnt work . I have to go low carb for me to see results. I agree with trying lowering carbs if you havent.
  • MST318
    MST318 Posts: 11 Member
    Thanks!

I don't do my food diary on here because I have found that I can't adjust the servings and specific foods like I can on the LiveStrong site.

I'm not losing inches, but I could probably increase my water intake-right now I probably only get 7-8 cups.

If I try the low carb, would I need to eliminate alot of fruits?