just plan pissed

Options
ok. here it is. i have gaine over 14 pounds in less than 3 weeks. i am an avid exerciser, work really hard. (400 cals/half hour). have been going through very stressful times. lost my dad to a freak accident, gma having major surgery. etc. any advice?

Replies

• VballLeash
    VballLeash Posts: 2,456 Member
    Options
    I'm really sorry to hear that... it is strange that you would gain so much in 3 weeks. What are you eating? You may not be eating enough depending on how much you exercise. You may have just gained because of the high amount of stress, it can really put a toll on our bodies. I'm glad you came here for advice, we are here for you! Just try not to focus too much on the scale that will just stress you out more. Good luck, don't get discouraged :happy:

~Leash :heart:
  • Katy009
    Katy009 Posts: 579 Member
    Options
    Are you maybe taking any medication for the stress? That could cause you to gain sudden weight and/or to be bloated.
  • melssyl
    melssyl Posts: 66
    Options
    I'm sorry for the loss of your father. I pray that you can have peace... I hope your gma is recooperating well from surgery.

Stress will do crazy things to the body. Hang in there try to get enough rest and food to go with your exercise. Try not to worry about the scale... you have enough to worry about without that too.... I did say try...

Your are in our prayers....
  • Cyndi1
    Cyndi1 Posts: 484 Member
    Options
    sorry for your loss- can't imagine the stress you are going thru. One day at a time. Exercise does help with dealing with stress and the loss of your Dad. Just keep coming here for support. We are here for you. Take care, just don't turn to junk to help you thru this. you need to eat and exercise to be a healthier you.
  • keiko
    keiko Posts: 2,919 Member
    Options
    I am sorry for your loss and hope your gma recovers quickly from her surgery.

Some things to look at. What are you doing for exercise that you are burning 400cals/half hour? Could you be over calculating that? Because that seems high.
    Also you don't have a lot to lose. I checked your profile it says only 6 lbs. Are you eating enough calories to sustain your exercise? If you aren't eating enough calories your body could be getting close to or is in starvation mode. There are some really good threads in threads you want to read again and again.

Without knowing more about how much weight you want to lose, what you are doing for exercise and what you are eating it's hard to get more specific.
  • kolney
    kolney Posts: 93
    Options
    I'm sorry for your loss. Stress can do crazy things to our bodies. Are you taking any meds for stress/depression due to the situation. A lot of anti depressants can cause weight gain.
  • foxyforce
    foxyforce Posts: 3,078 Member
    Options
    sorry for your loss
  • BrendaLee
    BrendaLee Posts: 4,463 Member
    Options
    I'm going through something similar. I lost my brother early yesterday morning, and although I'm trying to maintain healthy choices...I've decided that it's very ok to be easy on yourself at times like this. Grieve, try to make the best choices you can, but love and take care of yourself...and forgive yourself during this time.

Thankfully, MFP is a healthy distraction....
  • trifitness
    trifitness Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    thank you all for you thoughts of support. My gma made it through surgery; a long and difficult battle, but non the less. she is now back in the hospital with pneumonia. i went to the dr. for stress management, and she adviced me to do some blood work. my results came back abnormal, so i go back on friday to find out what that really means.

when i do work out, i do the elliptical for at a minimum of 1/2 hour on various levels. then i do the stationary bike. i also do weights, mat pilates etc. but; now i have a very bruised heel bone and have been on crutches for 2 weeks. i just have to laugh now. what doesnt kill you makes you stronger right? i think i am tungsten!! i am going to go back to the gym today and try to do some mat. doesnt require too much foot work. :) need to do something:ohwell:
  • trifitness
    Options
    i am truly sorry for your loss. i understand the pain and anger, frustration and confusion.
    try not to lose your sense of self in this time. stick to what you have been doing, so that there will be no regret later.
  • trifitness
    Options
    :happy:

my foot is getting sooo much better.!!!! i am going to ditch the crutches (crunches as my 4 year calls them) and hit the gym today; taking it easy, but going!! whooo hooo