Laxatives?

Options
So I've got a question.

I took a laxative last night (I hadn't gone to the bathroom in three days, not because I thought it was the quick way to lose weight...That's unhealthy!) and for some reason, when I stepped on the scale this morning, I had gained almost three pounds from what I was the previous two days. Has this happened to anyone? I've been drinking water fairly religiously, but still. Three pounds? I've been under on both calories and sodium. If anyone can answer this, I'd be eternally grateful!

Replies

• kolney
    kolney Posts: 93
    Options
    hmmm...I'm not sure what the answer is. I know your weight can fluctuate 2-3 pounds from day to day so it's best to weigh yourself once a week.
  • staceyw37
    staceyw37 Posts: 2,094 Member
    Options
    depends what kind of laxative.
    phillips caplets for example will cause more water to move into the intestines, which stretches them out, and causes contractions.....then you poop.
    so it could be water wt + waste buildup.

if you use exlax or senekot, those just force the contractions. diff chemicals, diff effects.

hth. and hope you feel better soon--:flowerforyou:
  • margaretthedevil
    Options
    I think the more important question is: Why haven't you been able to go to the bathroom in three days!?
    This seems like a serious problem.
    Do you get enough fiber, vegetables, and fruits? Hopefully you're eating mostly whole foods, homecooked meals?
  • jenken99
    jenken99 Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    I have noticed this also, i use to be a laxative junkie,, not anymore.. i have problems going to the bhroom i have IBS with constipation so i do use laxatives but i have noticed if i use laxatives and i dont go to the bathroom i have seen the scales move up instead of down.. must be the bloatiness and waste buil;d up?? i would suggest more fiber and lo0ts of fruits..and veggies..
    Good luck:flowerforyou:
  • keiko
    keiko Posts: 2,919 Member
    Options
    I think the more important question is: Why haven't you been able to go to the bathroom in three days!?
    Do you get enough fiber, vegetables, and fruits? Hopefully you're eating mostly whole foods, homecooked meals?

Not everyone goes everyday. I eat plenty of fiber from foods not supplements, drink plenty of water and exercise. Still I go only a couple maybe 3 times a week. Three days is normal for me.
    Now if I was feeling constipated, bloated then I'd be concerned. Not everyone has the same regular.
  • Euphonasia
    Euphonasia Posts: 136
    Options

It's a problem I've had since I was a kid. I don't get the urges that most other people get to go to the bathroom, so when I was younger it wasn't uncommon at all for me not to go for five to six days. As an adult, it's been much better, but it still can cause problems on occasion.

The fruits and veggies thing: Yes. I need to eat more fruits and veggies like woah. I was doing well for a long time and then we didn't have as much time to cook (I was working 14 hours a day). It's better now.

Thanks everyone for your advice! I'm glad I'm not the only one that's encountered this problem!