Treadmill recommendations

Options
My husband and I are considering getting a treadmill but don't know much about them. We had looked at them earlier in the year but because of funds (and space) decided to wait but at the time we were overwhelmed with the choices. This weekend we stayed at my in-laws and I had the opportunity to use theirs (we have never used one before). I loved it! Now we are thinking again of getting one. This leads me to ask if there are any that you guys would recommend? Or specific options to look for that I might not think of. We are not hard core runners, we walk a lot and are trying to build up our running endurance. This weekend was actually a NSV for me, for the first time in my whole life I ran a mile straight. Then, 2 days later, I ran 2 miles straight! I am so stinking proud, I couldn't even do that in high school.

Sorry, lost my train of thought for a moment. lol Anyway, any help, suggestions, info, etc. would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance. :)

Replies

• SwindonJogger
    SwindonJogger Posts: 325 Member
    Options
  • diddyh
    diddyh Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    I've had a Nordic Track for about 4 years now. I love it. You can do set workouts (which I never do!) or just set everything manually which is what I do. I like to walk at a steep incline.
  • beckylawrence70
    beckylawrence70 Posts: 752 Member
    Options
    I have a Proform from Sears and love it, and it was only $400 bucks, can't beat that!
  • Donnacoach
    Donnacoach Posts: 540 Member
    Options
    Livestrong has some great treadmills and ellipticals. Check out ****s Sporting Store. It won't let me write the word I am trying to write. But it's another name for Richard. LOL
  • chrissilini
    chrissilini Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I have a Sole F63 and I love it. I was primarily walking on it but have started running too. The next one up has a longer deck and another half a horsepower for the motor. If you aren't into hardcore running on it though, the F63 works just fine. Bought it at D**k's Sporting Goods.
  • littleworm23
    littleworm23 Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    I have a Proform from Sears and love it, and it was only $400 bucks, can't beat that!

I looked at a Proform online at Costco, I liked the price but was concerned that it might be one of those cases where "You get what you pay for".

Thanks for all the good tips everyone.
  • btmadison
    btmadison Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Livestrong has some great treadmills and ellipticals. Check out ****s Sporting Store. It won't let me write the word I am trying to write. But it's another name for Richard. LOL

LOL
  • Dethea
    Dethea Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    I recently bought a treadmill, and I did a lot of research before getting mine.

Proforms typically aren't the best. They aren't good quality. I bought one used for $150 because I wasn't sure if I was going to actually use it, and I wish I had spent the extra money for a better one.

In my city, we have a couple of places that sell used work out equipment, like 2nd Wind. I would highly suggest seeing if you have a place like that nearby; they were very helpful and informative.
  • bugtrain
    bugtrain Posts: 251 Member
    Options

I looked at a Proform online at Costco, I liked the price but was concerned that it might be one of those cases where "You get what you pay for".

I have a Pro Form as well......no complaints...would buy the same brand again.
  • Venturin
    Venturin Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    I was looking at them in Sears today. The prices seemed reasonable, they had a NordicTrack that looked good for $600 Don't forget to get one that does inclines, that's an important feature.I want one too but I keep telling myself I can't afford it. sigh
  • OpenHeaven
    OpenHeaven Posts: 275 Member
    Options

I had a Proform - sold it when I moved 2,000 miles. :( It was amazing!!! I miss it!! My mom purchased the same model that I had, and after a solid 8+ years, it is still going strong!! She uses it all the time. You can usually get REALLY good deals on HSN, with free delivery, and flex pay (even on your debit card, they will charge you monthly for a portion of the price over 3-6 months, depending on the promotion - no interest, no credit check, no bull****, no worries!!! I have purchased lots of things from them, and have never had a problem!!!

If I was in the market today for one (don't have the space, and don't want to spend the money on that right now), I wouldn't hesitate to buy another Proform. I will say, that the TreadClimber is very intriguing though, so maybe I would go that way.
  • littleworm23
    Options
    I was looking at them in Sears today. The prices seemed reasonable, they had a NordicTrack that looked good for $600 Don't forget to get one that does inclines, that's an important feature.I want one too but I keep telling myself I can't afford it. sigh

I hear you on the can't afford it. We honestly can't really right now either but as soon as we can I would really like to get one. I figure if I don all my research now hopefully in the near future I will be able to make a good purchase. :)

Thanks again everyone.
  • silhouettes
    silhouettes Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    Just don't buy them at walmart, they don't even last a year and no warrenty.. still ticked.
  • harley47920
    harley47920 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I'm in the market for a treadmill as well.

As an insurance agent, I've had some claims where treadmills have cased fires. Please purchase one of those mats that go under the treadmill and unplug the treadmill when not in use. 3 treadmill fires in 18 months is a little too close for comfort for me.
  • littleworm23
    Options
    I'm in the market for a treadmill as well.

As an insurance agent, I've had some claims where treadmills have cased fires. Please purchase one of those mats that go under the treadmill and unplug the treadmill when not in use. 3 treadmill fires in 18 months is a little too close for comfort for me.

Wow! That's no good. I wouldn't have even thought of that. I always unplug my exercise bike when not in use but I do it for electricity reasons not fire concerns. Thanks for the tip.