Help a Confused Undereater :(

Options
Hey guys,

Back story:
I'm 24, 5'10" and 262.2 lbs.
MFP says I should eat 1730 cal for the day.
BMR calculators say I need about 2000 cal per day.
I'm a chronic undereater but I try to get about 1600 everyday!
I work out 5x a week and track everyday with my Fitbit.

Now on days I do cardio I log anywhere from 400 to 900 cal burned (I've taken to walking 5Ks :bigsmile:. When I do that my lovely lil net cals drops to about 1000cal or less. Now I know that cannot be a good thing -_-
I use sparkpeople, never gave thought to net cas and I lost weight, gained strength etc but I wasn't doing as much cardio as I am now.
Questions:
1). Should I drastically bump up my eating to facilitate a higher Net Cal?

2) If so how much? Just a little over BMR? Just a lil under BMR?

3) And hell is that BMR even accurate?

Thanks in advance,
Char

Replies

• dzinergrl18
    dzinergrl18 Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    My initial thought is you are eating too low. Go to http://scoobysworkshop.com/accurate-calorie-calculator/ and figure out your actual true BMR, your TDEE and your cut, which is TDEE-15%. I just started following this last week, but my goal is to eat at my cut every day and on days I work out, if my earned calories from working out take me under my BMR, I eat more to at least reach my BMR. Does that make sense? Search for the group "Eat More to Weigh Less" under groups and read the top 6 sticky notes. That will answer a lot of your questions. It's hard to take in (I think) but it does make sense. Oh, I would say with your workouts, you would be strenuous at 5-6 hours a week. Friend me if you'd like and let me know if you have questions. I can try to help or send you to someone who can!! Hope this helps:)
    Nichole
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,970 Member
    Options
    Hard for me to fathom chronic under eating with your stats. ED's start that way. Don't complicate it. Eat less than when you where adding body weight, monitor your progress, and make adjustments.
  • wahmx3
    wahmx3 Posts: 646 Member
    Options
    My understanding is that BMR is relatively accurate. When you calculate yours, do you include the exercise you do now? I had mine calculated with exercising and it is a range of 1383-1643 and I don't eat back my exercise calories. I am losing weight although slowly. Just to compare.... I am 45, 5'4" and weight 145. So my opinion, you need to eat more, quite a bit more on some days.
    Hey guys,

Back story:

Now on days I do cardio I log anywhere from 400 to 900 cal burned (I've taken to walking 5Ks :bigsmile:. When I do that my lovely lil net cals drops to about 1000cal or less. Now I know that cannot be a good thing -_-
    I use sparkpeople, never gave thought to net cas and I lost weight, gained strength etc but I wasn't doing as much cardio as I am now.
    Questions:

Thanks in advance,
    Char
  • CharisSunny
    CharisSunny Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    Hard for me to fathom chronic under eating with your stats. ED's start that way. Don't complicate it. Eat less than when you where adding body weight, monitor your progress, and make adjustments.

I gained weight because I was eating less than this so ur advice doesn't quite add up :s
  • CharisSunny
    Options
    My understanding is that BMR is relatively accurate. When you calculate yours, do you include the exercise you do now? I had mine calculated with exercising and it is a range of 1383-1643 and I don't eat back my exercise calories. I am losing weight although slowly. Just to compare.... I am 45, 5'4" and weight 145. So my opinion, you need to eat more, quite a bit more on some days.
    Hey guys,

Back story:

Questions:

Thanks in advance,
    Char

I calculated once with cardio involved but in general my BMR is 2000-2100.
    I can't imagine eating that much in sensible food.
  • drayNOTdre
    drayNOTdre Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Check out Eat more 2 weigh less's group. It's totally changed my world, and how I view food (fuel). I've had more strength and muscle gains since, and have dropped inches for sure!:happy:
  • foodfight247
    foodfight247 Posts: 767 Member
    Options
    I have a couple of people on my friends list who would be of great help to you.

I'm not gonna anwer as I don't wanna give you the wrong advice, so I'll leave it to the experts. :-)
  • wahmx3
    wahmx3 Posts: 646 Member
    Options
    There are many high calorie foods you can add to your day. What healthy oils do you eat now? Olive oil is good, avacodo, peanut butter, whole grain bread with peanut butter, regular yogurt (fat free versions often have too much sugar and/or other chemicals you don't want), other dairy products, add a glass of juice, homemade smoothie etc. Remember, as you lose weight, about every 10 pounds, your BMR will be lower.
    Hey guys,

Back story:

Questions:

Thanks in advance,
    Char

• dansls1
    dansls1 Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    I don't trust BMR calculators when you are obese - I think they all give you too many calories to 'feed the fat'.

Your profile shows you did have a period when you were losing weight - what was your net calorie intake then? If you were losing and stalled, what changed? So long as you are not truly in starvation mode, take the last month of net calories and figure out the average. Then take the weight difference, multiple by 3500 (approximate calories in a pound) and divide by 30. If you have lost, add this to the average, if you gained subtract it. That number is the number of calories you should eat to maintain your weight - eat at a net deficit of 500-1000 calories a day (meaning eaten minus exercise). That is truly the way to figure out the numbers your body needs.
  • wild_wild_life
    wild_wild_life Posts: 1,334 Member
    Options
    Remember, BMR is not your maintenance. I plugged your numbers into http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator and it said your maintenance is 3100. BMR doesn't really have anything to do with anything on a day to day basis, TDEE (maintenance) is what is important.

You are eating at a 1500 cal daily deficit which you obviously know is too little. Can you not eat more?
  • CharisSunny
    Options
    Remember, BMR is not your maintenance. I plugged your numbers into http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator and it said your maintenance is 3100. BMR doesn't really have anything to do with anything on a day to day basis, TDEE (maintenance) is what is important.

You are eating at a 1500 cal daily deficit which you obviously know is too little. Can you not eat more?
    can't eat an abstract value "more"
    Would need to figure out more in relation to my exercise cal burned...or even what my darn BMR is to begin with.

I know my body stalls easily, just need a lil better than ballpark to know where to go from here
  • CharisSunny
    Options
    I don't trust BMR calculators when you are obese - I think they all give you too many calories to 'feed the fat'.

Your profile shows you did have a period when you were losing weight - what was your net calorie intake then? If you were losing and stalled, what changed? So long as you are not truly in starvation mode, take the last month of net calories and figure out the average. Then take the weight difference, multiple by 3500 (approximate calories in a pound) and divide by 30. If you have lost, add this to the average, if you gained subtract it. That number is the number of calories you should eat to maintain your weight - eat at a net deficit of 500-1000 calories a day (meaning eaten minus exercise). That is truly the way to figure out the numbers your body needs.
    I truly don't know what is going on now. Its looking as though I may be gaining. (Will know if its water issues in a couple days.
    If it isn't water weight this would be my first gain since Jan when I started.
    I truly have changed NOTHING about how I've been eating. Again I really don't overeat, and I got between 1600 and 1800 amost everyday. I've just upped my cardio and dropped a lil weights since I've injured my back.

I will def keep this equation on hand tho :)
  • CharisSunny
    Options
    There are many high calorie foods you can add to your day. What healthy oils do you eat now? Olive oil is good, avacodo, peanut butter, whole grain bread with peanut butter, regular yogurt (fat free versions often have too much sugar and/or other chemicals you don't want), other dairy products, add a glass of juice, homemade smoothie etc. Remember, as you lose weight, about every 10 pounds, your BMR will be lower.
    Hey guys,

Back story:

Questions:

Thanks in advance,
    Char

I eat roasted almonds.
    Not a fan of yogurt unless it strikes me
    Olive oil isn't so popular in Jamaica
    Avocados I can do :)
    I try to avoid juices...due to the sugar, and I've taken up smoothies for sure but maybe 250 cal at best :s
  • wild_wild_life
    Options

Would need to figure out more in relation to my exercise cal burned...or even what my darn BMR is to begin with.

I know my body stalls easily, just need a lil better than ballpark to know where to go from here

Why don't you believe this is your BMR?

What does MFP tell you it is (under tools)?

Here is another site

http://www.drgily.com/basal-metabolic-rate-calculator.php

Sure they are all estimates and there are a few different equations but if you are getting roughly the same number every time it is probably right.

On the other hand, your BMR doesn't really matter. Let's say your TDEE is 2800 (average between the site above and the scooby site). 20% of TDEE is the maximum deficit I have seen recommended. That would be a deficit of 560 per day, so you would eat 2240. Note you would not eat additional exercise calories because they are factored in to that TDEE.

If you want to try to lose 2 lbs per week, take a 1000 cal daily deficit and eat 1800 total cals per day. If you're not losing on that, my advice would be to bump it up, not down. I assume you're posting this because youre not losing?
  • CharisSunny
    Options
    I have a couple of people on my friends list who would be of great help to you.

I'm not gonna anwer as I don't wanna give you the wrong advice, so I'll leave it to the experts. :-)
    :(
  • melissachipman123
    Options
    Can't see your food diary would help out?
  • mizzcase
    mizzcase Posts: 24
    Options
    Um.. pretty sure one doesn't get to 262 pounds by chronic undereating.....
  • CharisSunny
    Options
    Can't see your food diary would help out?

If you can help I don't have an issue friending you.
    But bear in mind I changed my meal headings to include a "Before Breakfast Meds" category so everything got shifted up ad now it looks like I haven't eaten dinner...ever :grumble:
  • CharisSunny
    Options

Here is another site

Sure they are all estimates and there are a few different equations but if you are getting roughly the same number every time it is probably right.

On the other hand, your BMR doesn't really matter. Let's say your TDEE is 2800 (average between the site above and the scooby site). 20% of TDEE is the maximum deficit I have seen recommended. That would be a deficit of 560 per day, so you would eat 2240. Note you would not eat additional exercise calories because they are factored in to that TDEE.

If you want to try to lose 2 lbs per week, take a 1000 cal daily deficit and eat 1800 total cals per day. If you're not losing on that, my advice would be to bump it up, not down. I assume you're posting this because youre not losing?
    Mhm, I've stalled out and it may be shifting in a negative direction.

I eat close to 1800 most days (1700+) but stil nada! I can only assume the issue is I've upped my cardio. But I'm truly perplexed. I will try my hardest to add a couple hundred more cals but it is physically taxing to eat that much.

Thank you btw :)
  • wild_wild_life
    Options

Here is another site

Mhm, I've stalled out and it may be shifting in a negative direction.

I eat close to 1800 most days (1700+) but stil nada! I can only assume the issue is I've upped my cardio. But I'm truly perplexed. I will try my hardest to add a couple hundred more cals but it is physically taxing to eat that much.

Thank you btw :)

No problem, hope it helps. I am also trying to eat 1900 cals per day and sometimes I just can't, for both physical and psychological reasons. Hope you find something that works!