Women T.O.M. Question

Options
Am I the only one that can't handle T.O.M.?? Every month about a day or 2 before and the 1st-2nd day of I have no motivation to eat properly or excercise like I do the rest of the month. I was thinking maybe I should just do my cheat meals and relaxation from the gym on these days every month? What do you girls do to deal with T.O.M.???

Replies

• tobielauren
    tobielauren Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    I have a terrible time at that time...however, I find I get my best endurance or strength days done there...probably because I am pushing through the pain...I try to not cheat then, because then it adds to all the bloating and tummy issues I have...but we are all different so...but that's just me :)
  • Flab2fitfi
    Flab2fitfi Posts: 1,349 Member
    Options
    I'm the opposite - I seem to get a burst of energy and then tend to over do it. I would suggest that if you are feeling a bit low just gor for a gentle walk and take it easy for a few days. It might also be a good idea to get your iron levels checked as this could be making you feel more tired than normal.
  • MonicaT1972
    MonicaT1972 Posts: 512
    Options
    I struggle the same. I have found that upping my protein a couple days before seems to help somewhat.
  • xsqueakme85
    xsqueakme85 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    I actually am not hungry the first couple days of TOM. I basically have to force myself to eat. After those first few days though my appetite is back to normal. I know I am an odd bird. I do find though after those first few days I crave meat LOL
  • emnk5308
    emnk5308 Posts: 736
    Options
    Mine usually HURTS So bad.. this time around I started taking 2 ibuprofens ever 4-6 hours, and I took naproxin morning and night the whole week. I felt NOTHING =D !!!! I don't usually get junk food cravings.. When I do instead of going for chocolate I got some veggies to munch on =) Lots of veggies and fruits are good, keep you energized so you can work out ;D
  • pundas
    pundas Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    I used to have a really hard time around this time, but I changed my ways to help cope. A few months ago I would only drink about a glass or 2 of water a day. I now drink a minimum of 10-12 glasses a day, and that has helped me incredibly with pain and motivation. I also find that going to the gym and working out alleviates any pain from cramps. I basically just force myself to go and feel so much better after. For me, I have found that giving into cravings and binging makes me feel a hundred times worse. Drinking lots of water helps to pass the cravings and stay on track.
  • A_New_Horizon
    A_New_Horizon Posts: 1,555 Member
    Options
    I feel you. When TOM is around - I have no motivation, am very tired, and B****y, and my weight will go up as much as 6 lbs. I do the best I can, and I am over alot during this time (even with BC). Chocolate/sweets always get the best of me. Just do the best you can and don't worry about it. It doesn't last long, and please know that you aren't alone.
  • RainxPain
    RainxPain Posts: 152
    Options
    Never heard a problem with mine.
    Just make those your rest and cheat days. It wouldn't hurt.
  • sofitheteacup
    sofitheteacup Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    It doesn't affect me in that area at all. I just get really easily aroused and can't/don't really do anything about it, so I get frustrated and irritable.
  • FTIM2015
    FTIM2015 Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    If it aint nailed down it's fair game! I eat far too much, become irrational and evil, exercise? What's that?

Thankfully the last few monhs have fallen on the visit to the OH (bear with me there's logic to this!), as he's in training for the half and full Ironman I have to choice but to get on the bike or stick my trainers on and shift my *kitten*!! :laugh:
  • Kerri_is_so_very
    Kerri_is_so_very Posts: 1,005 Member
    Options
    I'm just a raging lunatic! LOL Typically the other fight I have is against the dark chocolate bars I stock up on. No real cramps or anything to battle, just some major moodiness and a chocolate fix. I really only struggle with PMS and not so much TOM. I found I wasn't eating enough cals and TOM was playing tricks on me with false starts etc, I upped my cals and things seem to be back to normal...well as normal as I used to be! LOL
  • mrsgroove
    mrsgroove Posts: 44
    Options
    I have to same trouble as O.P. I just try to treat myself extra kind and do something nice. Hair or nails done. Massage. I also need ibuprofen sometimes to help with the aches. I do tend to eat more on the first few days but within a day or so, I'm back on track. Good luck!
  • AlexanderK1994
    AlexanderK1994 Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    I'm currently on my first T.O.M. since starting on MFP and I'm sorta... well. I felt like I can just chill for now (I had gone 220 cals over but mind you, I didn't exercise before eating) but... xD I sorta did around 96 minutes of cardio. I don't seem to have any problems sans my back hurting (that made me feel a little off about Jillian Michaels' Body revolution but I'm determined to carry it on tomorrow!)
    And I don't ever do cheat days. I just eat what I've always eaten but exercise to burn some of what I'm eating off. :)
  • shorty35565
    shorty35565 Posts: 1,425 Member
    Options
    I normally just and emotional wreck during that time. I RARELY have a prob w/ my eating, if anything, the 1st day I'm not as hungry as normal. Now I do have craving (typically for sweets & wanna eat them all day long) but I fight it. As for working out, I dont ever wanna do it during TOM & Used to not. But now I just fight thru it & keep on pushing.
  • nessa786
    nessa786 Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    i struggle...i've been "blessed" to have 2 this month, 2 weeks ago and started again today. so i feel like crap today =(
  • JeanetteSimpson
    JeanetteSimpson Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I feel the same... I increase my protein during this time which really makes a difference and takes the junk food cravings away.