Does anyone else not enter their exercise on here?

Options
I don't like entering it because it changes my food numbers and says to eat more....to the tune of 1000 more calories! I just don't like my pretty numbers getting messed up ;0 BTW I know a lot of you advocate eating more to lose, but I joined this site after eating 2500 a day with an hour of cardio every day and GAINING 2 pounds in a month. Obviously eating more wasn't cutting it. So now on here I am eating 2000 and that's it. If that seems like a lot I am 6'4.

Replies

• mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    Can't see youe diary so I can't tell how much you are eating but if you are burning 1000 calories and not eating back most of that, that will be an issue.
  • tdotali
    tdotali Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    It doesn't mess up the number. MFP takes into account the 500 calorie a day deficit you need need to lose 1lb a week (or a 1000 if you trying to lose 2lbs a week) when you exercise you burning in ADDITION to the 500 calories you already burning just by eating less. Basically if you exercise, you can eat more, just not an excessive amount. Hope this makes sense :-)
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    I just ignore the "eating back" (It's a concept I don't get, I eat enough with my exercise, I'm not exercising "so I can eat more").
    I like logging my exercise because it helps me stay on track.
  • mcarter99
    mcarter99 Posts: 1,666 Member
    Options
    I don't but that's because I use Fitbit (and their site) to track my activity. This is just a better place to track food.

I don't get the 'eating back' thing. I can see eating a portion of it but most people on these sites are exercising largely for the weight loss benefit, though obviously there are other benefits and they're not insignificant. Even WW advocates eating 0-50% of your calories from exercise.
  • BackTatJIM
    BackTatJIM Posts: 1,140 Member
    Options
    I add it but normally don't eat the calories back, only days i don't add it is my days off work.
  • Cambrendle
    Cambrendle Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    I stopped entering my strength training because it doesn't show it burning calories, so it seemed redundant... eventually that muscle will be burning more calories/fat by itself, which is why I'm doing the strength training... plus I want a toned/sculpted look

and when I'm doing circuit training the 1 min of cardio x3 sets, mixed with my 3 sets each of 2 strength exercises (x5 circuits) doesnt seem to add up to much - so I'm not adding that either - I only add a long walk and my swimming - and regardless of the debate of eating back your cals you burn... days I exercise heavily I"m really hungry, so I like having the leeway to eat more
  • MaureenCottrell
    Options
    I log everything...But I do not eat back the calories. It helps me put into realization the calories I am burning off. Good Luck!
  • steinbok
    steinbok Posts: 82
    Options
    Whether I exercise any, or a lot, I keep the same diet routine and don't "correct" because I burned 600 calories today. Do what feels best for you, not what some logic tells you you *should* do.
  • wackyfunster
    wackyfunster Posts: 944 Member
    Options
    I enter cardio, but not weights. I also don't "eat back" calories (I do try to keep my deficit to around 400-500 calories max, as there is no way I am going to be able to burn more fat than that in a single day).
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    Whether I exercise any, or a lot, I keep the same diet routine and don't "correct" because I burned 600 calories today. Do what feels best for you, not what some logic tells you you *should* do.
    Some app, actually.
    I've seriously never really seen discussions of "eating back". Even now when I google it, most of the links refer here.
  • wahmx3
    wahmx3 Posts: 646 Member
    Options
    I don't but.... only because I have had my BMR calculated including my exercise 3-5 times a week. I have manually changed my daily goal on here midway between my BMR range. Although I do think it you are doing serious exercise, you should eat back some of those calories, especially if your goal is in the lower range, 1200-1500 now.
  • mmreed
    mmreed Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    i use mfp to track food diet only

I found exercise to vary in who says how much it burns - trainer says one number, machine says another, books say another, and mfp says somethign else... I dotn know what to think - so I just do my workouts, and know its doing SOMETHING...

I use MFP to keep my eating habits in check.
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Options
    well if you are burning 1000 calories with your workouts and not eating any of them back, that's probably going to be an issue.
  • xraychick77
    xraychick77 Posts: 1,775 Member
    Options
    i dont.

my calories are already accounted for when i factored in my activity level.
  • aoikirin
    aoikirin Posts: 143
    Options
    Some app, actually.
    I've seriously never really seen discussions of "eating back". Even now when I google it, most of the links refer here.

Yeah I don't exactly get the concept either, but if it works for some people great!
  • MireyGal76
    MireyGal76 Posts: 7,334 Member
    Options
    I log some exercise - mainly boxing, running,and my walk to/from work. There's lots I do that doesn't have a related entry and I can't be bothered to find the cal burn equivalent. (like 2 hours of sweeping the pool - damn fine ab and arm workout) or three hours of cleaning the house (vacuum, washing floors, doing windows). I figure if I break a sweat, it's a form of exercise! Anyhow, I digress. I just tend to give myself a bit more calorie leniency on those days.
  • iWaffle
    iWaffle Posts: 2,208 Member
    Options
    I stopped entering my strength training because it doesn't show it burning calories, so it seemed redundant...
    Same here. I was entering it at first but then I quit even putting that in. I do log cardio but I change the calories to 200 for elliptical and 250 for treadmill. The default calories the give you is just ridiculous. I try to eat back the cardio calories but don't always get 100% of it. Like you said I know when I'm hungry. I'll try a lot of water first and then if I still feel it 10 min later then I get something to eat. My body tells me for the most part if it's getting enough.
    So now on here I am eating 2000 and that's it. If that seems like a lot I am 6'4.
    Not at all actually. I'm 6' 2" doing 2000 - 2500 calories a day typically and that's giving me a pretty steady decrease in weight. Depends on your body composition and activity level. If you're looking at my food there is an extra 100 - 200 calories a day I'm getting from 2-3 cups of coffee and half-half that I seldom log. That's my daily morning treat I have that I don't work into MFP. I know it's there but that's my untouchable treat I refuse to own up to.