Smoothies/Protein Shakes

Options
juliee274
juliee274 Posts: 124 Member
As it gets hotter, I am less inclined to eat, esp. breakfast. But I love smoothies/protein shakes.

Anyone have a recommendation for a high quality protein powder? And what do you mix with it? Or a low calorie/high fiber and protein smoothie? I usually need the fiber and/or protein to last me to lunch.

Thanks for suggestions!

Replies

• lynnetted43
    lynnetted43 Posts: 252
    Options
    if im really pressed for time i mix 12 oz water , with cytosport whey protein, 1 frozen banana and 2 tbsp all natural peanut butter!! blend together and thats it!!
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    Hello, my name is Michael and I am a Gaspari Myofusion Milk Chocolate addict.
  • juliee274
    Options

Hi Michael. Where do you buy that? And is there a support group? :smile:
  • TrainingWithTonya
    TrainingWithTonya Posts: 1,741 Member
    Options
    I prefer the flavors of EAS 100% Whey. I mix the chocolate with skim milk. With the vanilla, I use a cup of juice and a cup of fruit. My favorite is with frozen strawberries, a banana, and orange juice.
  • juliee274
    Options
    bump
  • ZyheeMoongazer
    ZyheeMoongazer Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    The GNC line is my favorite.
    http://www.gnc.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3509954

Boyfriend and I have a few different flavors to use depending on what we are mixing it with.

http://www.smoothieweb.com/
    This site has a ton of recipes to get you started. I like to experiment with different things. Some have been great others I won't make again. My favorite is a Banana Peanut Butter Chocolate.

2 frozen banana
    1 tbsp peanut butter
    3/4 cup soy milk
    2 scoops of GNC Wheybolic Chocolate

My boyfriend likes a Strawberry Banana Smoothie with Naked Juice Green Machine.
    http://nakedjuice.com/our-products/juice/green-machine

All in all, get some samples for GNC or other store, buy from fruit and have some fun trying things out. Just be careful the calories can add up fast. I have made 500 calorie smoothies before, tasted awesome but not something I can have everyday.
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options

Hi Michael. Where do you buy that? And is there a support group? :smile:

Ok so now you really want the dirt! LOL I get 10 lb bags from SB Muscle. They have the best price I've found on line.
  • RideaYeti
    RideaYeti Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    I really enjoy the shakes by Visalus (made with unsweetened almond milk), you can mix it with almost anything. My favorites right now are mixing with a tbsp of coco and 1/2 tsp of cocnut extract (tastes like an almond joy) or a tbsp of frozen limeade and a couple of cherry for a cherry limeade flavor.
  • marycmeadows
    marycmeadows Posts: 1,691 Member
    Options
    My go to (sounds weird but I promise you it is delish) is as follows.

Chocolate whey protein
    1/2 cup white kidney beans
    1/4 cup canned pumpkin
    1tbsp cocoa powder
    3tbsp liquid egg whites
    1/2 cup almond milk
    1 packet splenda (if desired)
    6-7 ice cubes
    dry instant coffee ((Also if desired - if you don't like coffee, don't add this)

Blend into high protein, high fiber low calorie goodness.

You can also add in a tbsp natural peanut butter (like smuckers) instead of coffee (this will add 100 extra calories but is worth it)
  • happyfrogg
    happyfrogg Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    I have not tried many powders... partially because I found Bluebonnet's natural original flavor one, loved it, and have been using it for a month or so now. No added sugar! Yay! But still tastes good (it's a vanilla-ish flavor, though I think they also make a stronger vanilla and also a chocolate) and I don't find it to be gritty or have a gross texture. I just shake a scoop with about 12 oz chocolate milk in a water bottle for a post-workout shake. I've also added it to smoothies with great success: 1/2 c milk, 1/2 c yogurt, 1/2 c frozen banana slices, 1 scoop powder, and whatever other fruit you want to throw in (I like mangoes, strawberries, and/or blueberries).
    http://www.bluebonnetnutrition.com/product/41/100%_Natural_Whey_Protein_Isolate_Powder
  • southpaw211
    southpaw211 Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    I just bought some Met-RX chocolate meal replacement powder at the suggestion of someone on another forum. Amazon sells them in individual packets as well as in a tub. It's pretty tasty! Not as thick as Shakeology, and not nearly as expensive. It's pretty good just in a shaker cup with a bunch of ice and water, as well as blended into a shake. I've made it with skim milk and almond milk too. Both have been good. A tablespoon of natural peanut butter and half a banana are also nice add ins. I've heard berries are good but I haven't tried them. I actually just bought some coconut milk today, so I may try that out tomorrow and see how it tastes.

They also make vanilla, but I haven't tried that one yet.
  • laddyboy
    laddyboy Posts: 1,565 Member
    Options
    Be Careful when buying Protein Powders!!! Consumer Reports tested several different kinds and found high levels or metals and arsenic in them.

I only use Optimum Nutrition, Gaspari, shakeology and Pure Protein. Others may be ok but I'd research before I used them.

I love peanut butter and banana in mine.
  • Forthe4
    Forthe4 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Mine is simple. I just mix Pure Protein Vanilla Cream whey powder with Silk unsweetened almond milk (vanilla flavored). I'm good to go for awhile. Of course, you should really like vanilla... :)
  • juliee274
    Options
    The GNC line is my favorite.
    http://www.gnc.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3509954

Boyfriend and I have a few different flavors to use depending on what we are mixing it with.

http://www.smoothieweb.com/
    This site has a ton of recipes to get you started. I like to experiment with different things. Some have been great others I won't make again. My favorite is a Banana Peanut Butter Chocolate.

2 frozen banana
    1 tbsp peanut butter
    3/4 cup soy milk
    2 scoops of GNC Wheybolic Chocolate

My boyfriend likes a Strawberry Banana Smoothie with Naked Juice Green Machine.
    http://nakedjuice.com/our-products/juice/green-machine

All in all, get some samples for GNC or other store, buy from fruit and have some fun trying things out. Just be careful the calories can add up fast. I have made 500 calorie smoothies before, tasted awesome but not something I can have everyday.

Thanks for the info....you are right....I need to try some different things. You are also right that the calories can add fast! :smile:
  • juliee274
    Options
    Be Careful when buying Protein Powders!!! Consumer Reports tested several different kinds and found high levels or metals and arsenic in them.

I only use Optimum Nutrition, Gaspari, shakeology and Pure Protein. Others may be ok but I'd research before I used them.

I love peanut butter and banana in mine.

That's what I was afraid of finding....hence my request for quality suggestions! Thanks for your input and advice.....I will check into these options!
  • juliee274
    Options
    Mine is simple. I just mix Pure Protein Vanilla Cream whey powder with Silk unsweetened almond milk (vanilla flavored). I'm good to go for awhile. Of course, you should really like vanilla... :)

I really *DO* love vanilla! And I love almond milk! Thanks!!
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    I always go for optimum nutrition gold standard, Syntha 6, or dymatize elite for protein powder.

Also, my recipes generally go like this-

1 cup frozen strawberries
    1 frozen banana
    1/2 cup almond milk
    2 scoops protein powder (strawberry, banana cream, etc)

Or

2 scoops chocolate protein powder
    2 frozen banana
    1 tablespoon PB2
    1/2 cup almond milk

Or

1/2 cup almond milk
    1 vanilla skinny cow
    2 scoops cookies n cream protein powder
  • Narisong
    Narisong Posts: 191
    Options
    Pure Protein Plus - French Vanilla Protein Powder, 1 scoop 130
    Chiquita Banana - Banana, 1 (126g) 110
    PB2 Powdered Peanut Butter, 2 tablespoons 45
    Silk - 35 Calorie Almond Milk, 0.75 cup 26
    Cocoa - Dry powder, unsweetened, 0.75 tbsp
    Add Food Quick Tools 320

Slice and freeze banana, blend with all other ingredients and add a couple ice cubs. I add a little bit of Splenda to mine as well.
  • lisao62
    lisao62 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Has anyone tried Rice protein powder?
  • tyra47
    tyra47 Posts: 97
    Options
    bump