Free Range or Caged?

Options
iCupCakeNZ
iCupCakeNZ Posts: 228 Member
whats your opinion on the whole Free Range eggs or caged eggs?
I personally prefer Free Ranged, I like my chickens having sunlight lol

So what about you :)

Replies

• Ohmydaze
    Ohmydaze Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    Personally, free range, from about 20 feet away, with feathers and a little sawdust stuck to it!#

I have my own chickens.

Always, always free range though.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,669 Member
    Options
    Lol, the city where my FIL lives (an urban town), the chickens are "free range" in back yards like every other house.

A.C.E. Certified Personal Trainer/Group Fitness Instructor
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • victoria4321
    victoria4321 Posts: 1,719 Member
    Options
    Free range but I wish I had my own chickens instead.
  • sandrajune72
    sandrajune72 Posts: 550
    Options
    Free Range. I don't buy any other.
  • OpenHeaven
    OpenHeaven Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    Free range all the way.
  • larkiedeek
    larkiedeek Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    The cheapest ones in the shop.

I am frugal :grumble:
  • sawyermark
    sawyermark Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Have 8 hens myself love the free eggs and the fact they keep all the bugs cleared out of my back yard. Their a lot of fun to watch also. As far as the taste of the eggs I really can't tell much difference. On the other hand my mom has some ducks and love the taste of their eggs.
  • momtokgo
    momtokgo Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    I'm vegan, so neither. But my family eats eggs. I buy eggs from a farmer friend who has happy, free range chickens. If I have to buy from the grocery store I buy free range then too.
  • anewme1202
    anewme1202 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Free Range - made the switch 3 years ago and I'm glad I did!
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    Free range, but only when you know the source (aka local farmers.) Free range is one of those fun terms, all it means is they have access to the outdoors, doesn't specify what type of outdoors, doesn't specify how long, or how often. A chicken could be kept in a cage with a small gravel yard to occasionally leave the cage and walk around in, and it can be marketed as "free range" in the US.
    The U.S. Department of Agriculture Food Safety and Inspection Service (FSIS) requires that chickens raised for their meat have access to the outside in order to receive the free-range certification. There is no requirement for access to pasture, and there may be access to only dirt or gravel . Free-range chicken eggs, however, have no legal definition in the United States. Likewise, free-range egg producers have no common standard on what the term means.
  • gracieabem
    gracieabem Posts: 211
    Options
    I have 6 free-range bantams here at home that supply me with most of my eggs. They are getting older though and are slowing down, and that's ok. They are not the type that have been purposely bred to lay 365 days a year and die an early death, so they are just free to retire whenever they stop. One little bantam I swear has never laid an egg lol. She'll probably live until her mid-20s or something. Clever girl.

I buy local free range eggs if I am using a lot, for example when I am baking.

There is nothing better than freshly laid poached eggs...
  • Francescal88
    Francescal88 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Free range - from one of my 19 hens! I haven't actually had to buy eggs for three years now... :-)
  • jw17695
    jw17695 Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    Free range here too. :)
  • carolynmittens
    Options
    Free range, but only when you know the source (aka local farmers.) Free range is one of those fun terms, all it means is they have access to the outdoors, doesn't specify what type of outdoors, doesn't specify how long, or how often. A chicken could be kept in a cage with a small gravel yard to occasionally leave the cage and walk around in, and it can be marketed as "free range" in the US.
    The U.S. Department of Agriculture Food Safety and Inspection Service (FSIS) requires that chickens raised for their meat have access to the outside in order to receive the free-range certification. There is no requirement for access to pasture, and there may be access to only dirt or gravel . Free-range chicken eggs, however, have no legal definition in the United States. Likewise, free-range egg producers have no common standard on what the term means.
    beat me to it. also keep in mind (anyone buying "free range" for ethical reasons, that is) that there are no USDA restrictions on what free range chickens are fed, and beak cutting and forced moulting are both allowed.
  • Grissay
    Grissay Posts: 112 Member
    Options

This!
  • PayneAS
    PayneAS Posts: 669 Member
    Options
    I'm a backyard chicken enthusiast as well. So much healthier and you know they are treated humanely.

Edit: link

http://www.motherearthnews.com/eggs.aspx
  • Ariberri9
    Ariberri9 Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    I would buy free range if I could find it in the grocery store. However, I'm more concerned with if the chicken is hormone-free and has had a good diet and the resulting meat is minimally processed (if at all).
  • UrbanRunner81
    UrbanRunner81 Posts: 1,207 Member
    Options
    Free range but I wish I had my own chickens instead.

^^^ yes! We have the room for it. My husband doesn't want them, but slowly making progress with him on it.
  • HollylaneJ
    Options
    Free range, always. Not only do I feel that it is a better health option for myself, and the hard working hens, they also taste much much better.
  • piratesaregrand
    piratesaregrand Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    Faux.

I don't eat eggs, they are filed under foods that creep me out