Beginner Strength Training Advice

Options
Ok I've been reading enough about strength training and how more muscle burns more calories so I think I'm ready to try it. I just have no idea where to start! I have a gym membership but I don't know how much weight to start with or how many reps. Anyone know of a good plan? I don't want to bulk up...I like looking like a woman...lol. Are weight machines the way to go or do you all have some other advice? Look forward to seeing what you all think:)

Thanks!

Replies

• Nic620
    Nic620 Posts: 553 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • MissAnjy
    MissAnjy Posts: 2,480 Member
    Options
    I personally do at home DVD programs for strength training. I don't use a gym at all.
    I've been following ChaLean Extreme and I really enjoy it.
    It's heavy lifting to failure. It's given me a lot of definition in my body.
    You will NOT bulk up. Women do not get bulky from weight training. We don't have the testosterone for that. It will actually lean you out and give your body definition.
    I love the way I look/feel when I incorporate weight training. Unfortunately, I don't have advice for what to do at the gym, but I'm sure the trainers there wouldn't mind showing you a couple things, or how the machines work, etc....or even just another gym member.
  • ka97
    ka97 Posts: 1,984 Member
    Options
    Check to see if your gym offers a free initial session or two with a trainer (most do). He or she can show you proper form and write you out a program to get started.
  • ncsjodi
    ncsjodi Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    Does your gym provide a basic orientation to the equipment? I would start with that. Let a "professional" show you proper form and help you determine a plan.
  • crisanderson27
    crisanderson27 Posts: 5,343 Member
    Options
    Ok I've been reading enough about strength training and how more muscle burns more calories so I think I'm ready to try it. I just have no idea where to start! I have a gym membership but I don't know how much weight to start with or how many reps. Anyone know of a good plan? I don't want to bulk up...I like looking like a woman...lol. Are weight machines the way to go or do you all have some other advice? Look forward to seeing what you all think:)

Thanks!

Low reps (5-8 max, 5-3 sets), high weight (whatever weight only allows you 5-8 reps with good form).

There is a womens group on MFP for a program called 'Stronglifts 5x5'...if you search it, they can help you get setup from start to finish. It's comprehensive, and includes the lifts you need to perform, sets, reps...etc.

Good luck, and congratulations on making the best choice possible for your body recomposition!
  • rcclcruiser
    rcclcruiser Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    The employees at the gym would be happy to help you. I am going to ask at my gym because I need to know what to do to firm my arms without making my broad shoulders look even bigger. Any advice from anyone?
  • ivkillorn
    ivkillorn Posts: 7
    Options
    I love Bob Harper's - Inside Out Method - Strength training! I bought it at Chapters/Indigo ... lifting weights definitely becomes addictive, revs up your metabolism and will help you drop those unwanted pounds faster! Building alittle muscle can actually help reduce the risk of injury as well. Good luck :)
  • crisanderson27
    Options

Thanks!

Low reps (5-8 max, 5-3 sets), high weight (whatever weight only allows you 5-8 reps with good form).

There is a womens group on MFP for a program called 'Stronglifts 5x5'...if you search it, they can help you get setup from start to finish. It's comprehensive, and includes the lifts you need to perform, sets, reps...etc.

Good luck, and congratulations on making the best choice possible for your body recomposition!

Also, the girls in that group will help dispell all of the prevalent myths that run rampant on this forum, including building muscle on a calorie deficit, women bulking by strength training, and any of the 172,987 other myths perpetuated here regarding women and lifting weights. I mean, I actually read where a woman told another woman not to take protein powder, because it contains steroids (enough to cause dependency no less), and will cause you to bulk up like a baloon.

I mean, seriously!?
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    Listen to the posts above - you will not bulk up - I lft heavy weights and still look like a woman (at least I am pretty sure I do). Strength training is very important, especially for women, as it helps with bone densiity.

There are a lot of good suggestions re how to start. If you have never stepped foot in the weight area of a gym it could be a little intimidating so I would suggest at least a few sessions with a trainer for them to show you proper form with the weights. I would also suggest that should you, for example, decide to go with the stronglifts program (New Rules of Lifting for Women is another) that you make the trainer show you those specific lifts. Some can be set in their ways and may not automatically think to show you the compound lifts used in the programs. If they do not - get another trainer.
  • crisanderson27
    Options
    Listen to the posts above - you will not bulk up - I lft heavy weights and still look like a woman (at least I am pretty sure I do). Strength training is very important, especially for women, as it helps with bone densiity.

There are a lot of good suggestions re how to start. If you have never stepped foot in the weight area of a gym it could be a little intimidating so I would suggest at least a few sessions with a trainer for them to show you proper form with the weights. I would also suggest that should you, for example, decide to go with the stronglifts program (New Rules of Lifting for Women is another) that you make the trainer show you those specific lifts. Some can be set in their ways and may not automatically think to show you the compound lifts used in the programs. If they do not - get another trainer.

:drinker:
  • kssnyd65
    kssnyd65 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I would also like to beging a strength training program. We have a weight bench complete with all the weights and attachments (my boys used it when they were in sports in high school), but I have no idea how to begin. Is there a good beginner dvd for women?
  • crisanderson27
    Options
    I would also like to beging a strength training program. We have a weight bench complete with all the weights and attachments (my boys used it when they were in sports in high school), but I have no idea how to begin. Is there a good beginner dvd for women?

Look up Starting Strength...Stronglifts 5*5...or even New Rules of Lifting for Women (not my favorite resource...but far better than any DvD I've seen or heard of.

The only thing is that its hard to get a truly effective weight based strength training program going on at home. Your strength will progress quickly beyond weights that can seriously hurt you if you're by yourself. These weights are also expensive. If you MUST work out at home...I suggest a bodyweight strength training program...like the one listed on my profile. Make sure whatever workout you choose doesn't promote lifting beyond 5-8 reps...or you begin losing the real benefits of strength training.